UKBouldering.com

Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread) (Read 1344194 times)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
In the Premier ManU's luck has run out, they face the hardest possible start at home to the mighty Blues then travel to Burnley so they'll be playing catch up on everyone else.

:lol:

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Newcastle until they find themselves in the temporary seating in the pissing rain at Blackpool wondering where the rest of the ground is.

They'll have already had a wake-up call on 29 July: a friendly against Leeds.  I can't imagine a better object lesson in the perils of taking the difficulties of the Championship for granted. 

As for Leeds' own fixtures: Exeter, Wycombe.... Walsall.  Dear God, a few years ago that would have been uninspiring for a pre-season list.  Still, I'm getting used to it now.  At the moment the only match that grabs me is against Norwich on 17th Oct - I've a Canaries supporting friend to comiserate with (at the moment he's probably setting fire to a big pile of Delia Smith cookbooks).

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I'm hoping to make the Leeds Brighton game this season although (after a period when we seemed to have a hex over you and I won lots of money from my Leeds supporting mate) we now always seem to get battered (I've not accepted the bet recently!).

I love going to shitty lower league grounds but then, being a Brighton fan, I've got used to it over the years (and ours is the shittest of the lot! Bring on Falmer). Shame there aren't more teams near Sheffield in League 1 as I've not been for a while.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
I love going to shitty lower league grounds

I loved the old Rotherham ground, you could see how it had developed over the years. seemed to have about seven stands jumbled around the pitch.  Plus you could get a great pint in the Butchers Arms (I think it was called, it was a bit Slaughtered Lamb-ish from outside) and the pies were made locally and quality.

From the away end, to the left is the main stand flanked by the press box, executive boxes and some squeezed in terracing

To the right, a couple more stands and still space for some terracing.  Great floodlights too.

The place had soul, such a shame they had to move.

Dr T

• forum hero
I'm hoping to make the Leeds Brighton game this season although (after a period when we seemed to have a hex over you and I won lots of money from my Leeds supporting mate) we now always seem to get battered (I've not accepted the bet recently!).

I love going to shitty lower league grounds but then, being a Brighton fan, I've got used to it over the years (and ours is the shittest of the lot! Bring on Falmer). Shame there aren't more teams near Sheffield in League 1 as I've not been for a while.

we used to have our school sports day at the Withdean stadium..  :o

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

I loved the old Rotherham ground,

The place had soul, such a shame they had to move.

:agree:

Too right. Millmoor was always a top day out and Brighton generally won there which was a bonus. One time me and my mate were walking up from the car park and there were some "backward" looking Rotherham kids running up and down the lane. This Brighton fan behind us pipes up (in strong Sarf Eest accent) "See!? I told you they were fuckin' inbred!". The revolving advertising boards that just about worked and were totally out of sinc were amusing as was the away fans bar which was just a storeroom with no windows (and horrible artificial light) which happened to serve beer. That's what it's all about.

Yeah I ran an 800m there when I was 14 as part of an inter school sports thing. One of the stands is the one they used at the 18th green for The Open and it shakes like fuck when everyone jumps up and down. Still, it's better than groundsharing with Gillingham as we did for a while. 150m round trip for home games tested the supporters somewhat. They still went though.

Hopefully the new stadium will be ready for the start of the 2010/11 season. Can't wait.

tomtom

• forum hero
'Robbo' on the BBC is funny this week (he is most..)

"The solace of the Geordie subsidence won't help either. The club's for sale for approximately £Ronaldo + £Tevez, and Michael Owen's agent is putting a glossy little brochure out to flog the bloke like he's a holiday development on the Costa del Sol.

I expect as with any real estate vendor, there'll be the usual blather in the sales pitch: Michael is 'deceptively spacious' 'chock-full of history' and 'ripe for redevelopment': in short it's a must-see for the 'discerning purchaser'. Some of us think the property lacks many of its original features, has definitely lost a yard, could go down rather too easily and needs a radical re-think over its price."

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Yes he's generally good value. I love his name for Ronaldo "the Gelled Tumbler". Class.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Another good article linked to from Robbo's blog:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8050784.stm

Will make uncomfortable reading for Newcastle fans (and make Graeme even happier).

tomtom

• forum hero
Another good article linked to from Robbo's blog:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8050784.stm

Will make uncomfortable reading for Newcastle fans (and make Graeme even happier).

Having seen the crying Newcastle fans video on that page (for the umteenth time) I was surprised no one came up with the headline "Tyney Tears"...

Dr T

• forum hero

Yeah I ran an 800m there when I was 14 as part of an inter school sports thing. One of the stands is the one they used at the 18th green for The Open and it shakes like fuck when everyone jumps up and down. Still, it's better than groundsharing with Gillingham as we did for a while. 150m round trip for home games tested the supporters somewhat. They still went though.

Hopefully the new stadium will be ready for the start of the 2010/11 season. Can't wait.

too right been so long in the pipeline, have been to both the Goldstone and Withdean so will have to make the triup down when it finally opens it's gates

On the subject of old grounds I went to the last ever match at the dell a few years back - a rerun of the first ever match the Saints vs Seagulls, that place had charactor, St Mary's is a nice place to watch football but it is a bit souless - before anyone points and laughs I am not a Saints supporter my uncle is I just go along for the jolly... I support the family team (Gunners) but as a Sussex lad I of course follow the seagulls...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
That's funny Dr T as I support the Arsenal in the Premiership (it sort of happened by mistake with them being the only challengers to The Scum for so long) so we follow the same two teams.

On the subject of shit grounds (and towns) I went to the Brighton Darlington game (in '99 I think) when we were groundsharing with Gillingham. Got the train down with my Darlo supporting mate and met up with some of his mates in London on the way. One of the funniest days out I have ever had despite (or perhaps because of) Brighton getting cuffed 4-0 with Marco Gabbiadini scoring a hat-trick.

One of the many highlights being a pissed up Brighton fan on the train back to London taking umbrage with us (assuming we were all Darlo) for "touching his coat, that's my dad you know!" and telling me I'd had "a good day out so just lip it". When I pointed out that I hadn't actually had a good day out as I was a Brighton fan his face was a picture of speechlessness.

tomtom

• forum hero
OK, so whats your favourite ground??
For me Highbury.. 'compact' atmosphere where you could easily hear all the fans around you - great old architecture - a real good and historical feel about the place.

Worst:
Old Trafford. Boring. Nice stadium etc.. just dull atmosphere, too big, too many prawn sandwichers..

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
You're right about Old Trafford. I may be biased but my Scum supporting best mate also agrees. Prawn sandwich brigade, Japanese tourists and birds in "Ronaldo" shirts with Man U badges stenciled on their faces. Save me. It's the epitome of the corporate football experience and not what I enjoy about football. Mind you, I did manage to piss all over the chrome and glass of the nice shiny stadium on the way out when we left early so that made the trip worthwhile.

Must admit I really like Bramhall Lane. On a good afternoon / evening when the place is packed and it's a cracking game there's a fantastic atmosphere there (unlike there ever seems to be at Hillsborough any more). Plus one of my favourite games ever was when we beat The Blades 2-1 there with the last kick of the game a few years back. The keeper came out, Leon Knight rolled the ball past him and it seemed to go into the net in slow motion. About 2000 Brighton went fucking mental and none of my United supporting mates would answer their phones all evening. Peachy.

;D

philo

• forum hero
hartlepool is a good stadium atmosphere!

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
(and make Graeme even happier).

Check out our new colour scheme. Can you guess where our inspiration came from  ;)

and

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Can't imagine.....

Note: I did try to get a picture of some DFBs modelling the kit but alas, there were none.  ;)

webbo

• forum hero

Must admit I really like Bramhall Lane. On a good afternoon / evening when the place is packed

mmmmmmmm about as often as when hell freezes over.

tomrix

• regular
It's all about White Hart Lane! I was there when spurs beat Arsenal 5-1 in the carling cup! It was the best atmosphere i've experienced in a stadium.

Conversely, Anfield and Fratton park are overrated in my experience! Both sets of fans have good reputations but i felt nothing but disappointment when visiting both as an away fan!

I am of course not biased in any way shape or form! ;)

tomtom

• forum hero
Can't imagine.....

Note: I did try to get a picture of some DFBs modelling the kit but alas, there were none.  ;)
Rather disappointing lack of fake tan too...

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
These aren't too shoddy even if they aren't in red and white stripes

Dr T

• forum hero
Egypt 1: Italy 0

and that without Zaki or Mido

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dr T

• forum hero
on another note I guess both Jasper and I enjoy looking at the tables this time of year

Arsenal top of the Premiership
Brighton second in League one

yay for alphabetical listings....  :P

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Egypt 1: Italy 0

and that without Zaki or Mido

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Even more surprising: England 2 Spain 0.  :o

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
Love the quote from Pyscho about leaving Walcott on the bench for most of the game

""Getting over the finishing line is what's important and he helped us to do that with a virtuoso performance from the bench."

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal