the shizzle > shootin' the shit

Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)

(1/1171) > >>

Jaspersharpe:
To stop Fiend from spontaneously combusting (and knocking over his little army of painted orcs) let's shift the discussion on all things football (and in particular Newcastle's demise) to a new thread? Perhaps a Mod could copy the last few posts on The Works thread over?

Teaboy:
[..........following on from the other thread] Obviously NUFC are far and away the biggest basket case but I'd have thought anyone left holding a Premier League club at the moment is shitting themselves. Hardly any of them have ever turned a profit and the inflated prices people were paying for clubs was because there was a speculative bubble - it was always assumed there'd be another, richer, stupider buyer to come along and buy the club at an even more inflated price. If that stream of wealthy buyers dries up then a loss making club with huge liabilities is essentially worthless. People talk about the the brand of a football club but you have essentially got a finite market and your biggest money making opportunity (TV) is restricted by the PL cartel, besides, lets face it NUFC were not attracting crowds of 50k when they were last in the lower divisions (maybe towards the end).

Setanta going bust means that next time the TV rights are negotiated Sky may be the only gig in town so without competition they can force down the price they pay for matches. Be interesting to see how Sky subscriptions weather the down turn, lucky for the PL there are still a few years to run on the deal.

Jaspersharpe:
Aye. It can only be a good thing too as the sensibly run clubs without ridiculous levels of debt will be fine. As ever, it's those who try to punch above their weight who will get hurt the most but I wouldn't be surprised to see some "big clubs" in serious trouble. Chelsea are forever on a knife edge as if Abromovich ever decides he wants his money back, they're screwed.

GraemeA:
Good work Jasper  ;D

I wonder if Gav will show his face

Sloper:
Not being an association football fan I'd say that the situation at Liverpool could be interesting what with the need to refinance a shit load of debt......

Personally I'd like to see all the teams bought because rich twats couldn't afford / find a new trophy wife going to the wall and the gfame returning to something that reflects the Corinthian spirit, jumpers as goal posts, off the field violence and petty racisim.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version