UKBouldering.com

Family holiday ideas - probably not climbing (Read 20924 times)

andy popp

• forum hero
We went to Marseille over New Year and loved it. It does have a reputation, overwhelmingly undeserved, but some might find it a little rough and ready in places.

Of course I would say this, but Denmark actually hits everything you want, except a) it's a very long way round if you don't want to fly/ferry b) not exactly cheap.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
I'd never really thought about going abroad by train before so just wanted to give a heads up to those who might be interested.
We've booked interrail tickets down to Marseille. Kids get their ticket for free. We leave from our local station in the morning and will be by the Med for dinner time. The interrail ticket covers our rail travel down to London and then there's a surcharge for the Eurostar. All in it's costing us the same as flying and I'm anticipating a nicer experience than being shafted by Ryanair. We can stop in Paris for lunch. Kids are psyched off their heads to go on a double-decker train. We can do a day trip to Avignon or somewhere else on the pass. There's a lot to love.

Learning how to use the interrail ticket and reserving seats took some figuring out and the Seat 61 website was very very helpful in this regard.

ali k

• junky
Good to hear Will. I can see us doing a lot of this in the future too. Likewise I’d not really considered it as a viable option getting to south of France or beyond until last year.

Our first flying experience post-Covid to Croatia in October was utterly miserable and reminded me how unpleasant it can be. Trains are generally a much nicer way to travel. Yorkshire to the med in a day is amazing!

Duncan campbell

• junky
I'd never really thought about going abroad by train before so just wanted to give a heads up to those who might be interested.
We've booked interrail tickets down to Marseille. Kids get their ticket for free. We leave from our local station in the morning and will be by the Med for dinner time. The interrail ticket covers our rail travel down to London and then there's a surcharge for the Eurostar. All in it's costing us the same as flying and I'm anticipating a nicer experience than being shafted by Ryanair. We can stop in Paris for lunch. Kids are psyched off their heads to go on a double-decker train. We can do a day trip to Avignon or somewhere else on the pass. There's a lot to love.

Learning how to use the interrail ticket and reserving seats took some figuring out and the Seat 61 website was very very helpful in this regard.

Nice one Will!! My partner and I went to Font + skiing by train in February and I can confirm going on a double decker train is the shizzle! Also it’s soo much nicer going by train. I haven’t flown for a few years now and remember hating it the last time I did. Taking the train was so much nicer. Enjoy

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Nice one Will!! My partner and I went to Font + skiing by train in February and I can confirm going on a double decker train is the shizzle! Also it’s soo much nicer going by train. I haven’t flown for a few years now and remember hating it the last time I did. Taking the train was so much nicer. Enjoy

How was it taking all your kit on the train? Pads plus skis etc sounds like a lot of work! This is one of my major hesitances with the train, we usually fill the van when we go on holiday!

Duncan campbell

• junky

How was it taking all your kit on the train? Pads plus skis etc sounds like a lot of work! This is one of my major hesitances with the train, we usually fill the van when we go on holiday!

We hired both. Well actually some friends had driven out to font for the first week so we had our pads for that week, but then we hired for the second week. Don’t think you can take pads/bikes on the Eurostar which is a bit of a shitter.

I know what you mean - it’s so easy to fill a vehicle with stuff! In some ways it’s a nice way to simplify your holiday

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/london-to-paris-by-eurostar.htm#luggage-on-eurostar

The bloke here reckons you'll be fine but I suppose pads are conspicuously bulky so might attract a clipboard's attention. A lot of pads (Organic Full) are only just over 85cm...

Duncan campbell

• junky
Interesting!! Tbh I can imagine it being such a ballache that I’d rather just hire pads out there… obvs adds to cost though.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
My partner and I went to ..... skiing by train in February

Was that the snow train to Moutiers? How was it, heard it can be a bit rowdy?

Duncan campbell

• junky
It was to Moutiers but wasn’t rowdy at all tbh, was busy on the way down but was fine.

Tom de Gay

• menacing presence
https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/london-to-paris-by-eurostar.htm#luggage-on-eurostar

The bloke here reckons you'll be fine but I suppose pads are conspicuously bulky so might attract a clipboard's attention. A lot of pads (Organic Full) are only just over 85cm...

Took a DMM pad (99cm) on the Eurostar and it was fine… this was a few years ago though.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
It was to Moutiers but wasn’t rowdy at all tbh, was busy on the way down but was fine.
Good to know. Was it the Saturday direct one?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal