UKBouldering.com

visiting from Aus, keen on climbing - west sussex (Read 5696 times)

boone

Hi,

I've just arrived from Oz, looking to get back into bouldering after a year off. Living in West Sussex (Henfield). Just wondering if anyone is keen to head to stone farm or anything else and wouldn't mind a tag-along it would be great to come.

I'm not great but you can laugh at me and i won't feel bad so am good for a craic. If you have a free spot you would be happy for me to take sometime or looking for a local bouldering buddy just send through an email or pm. I have shoes and chalk but couldn't fit a crash pad in the luggage. Have a bike to get around with too.

Always keen on an evening beer for anyone around Henfield as well....

cheers,
Dan

Willriseley

• player
  • idiot child
hello mate, think there will be a few of us camping at harrisons fri/sat night and bouldering there, feel free to tag along

boone

Got to go to Croyde this weekend with my girlfriend. But would be great to hear of any other trips you are heading out for.

Email is d.burgering at gmail dot com if that's easier.

am free evenings and might head down to shoreham or crawley to have a look at the plastic walls there - any idea which one is better for a boulder?

Thanks,
Dan

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Got to go to Croyde this weekend with my girlfriend.

If it's your fisrt surf trip in the UK, be prepeared for an eye opener.

Durbs

• forum hero

am free evenings and might head down to shoreham or crawley to have a look at the plastic walls there - any idea which one is better for a boulder?

Don't know about Crawley, but the Shoreham wall ain't great for bouldering, though it might keep you amused for an hour, 2 if you're inventive and use the route walls too. The bouldering room's about half the size of a squash court and not particularly over-hanging...
The roped routes are ok and it's a nice enough centre - just a bit small.
(I'm not local, but some mates are so I've been there a few times - if you're in need of a climbing buddy I can put you in touch?)

Nearest decent plastic is probably Craggy Island 2 in Carshalton Beeches, though at 1.5 hours by train, you might as well head into London as that's probably quicker.
Not sure if you mean push-bike or motorbike - if it's a motorbike you can get to Craggy2 in about 45 minutes, probably less.

boone

hmmm, i mean a pushie..... maybe london is a goer for the gym work, might have a crack at crawley and see how it goes though anyway.
Keen on getting out in the evenings at the moment and trying for some bouldering after work (just working from home). I suppose better to just post here if i am heading up to weir wood anytime. Would be good to hear about alternative weekend trips though as well... after this weekend perhaps.

SA Chris: yup first one, got the wettie (3mm merino) and a new board (dinged by emirates) and looking at a 5 foot or bigger surf rolling in saturday morning. am sure it will be eye opener, looked at some piccies and think it could be more packed than aussie beaches... Taking shoes in case some small boulders to have a play on in the occasional windows of good weather..

Thanks for the invites and info guys, keep em coming!

SA Chris

• forum hero
Looks like it might be onshores though. If you have a car it might be worth heading to Putsborough just to the north, gets a bit of shelter from the wind, esp at low tides. Sunny weekend in mid august you are guaranteed crowds like you have never seen (although some Oz breaks look quite bad). There is some rock you can play about on at Baggy Point, which is between Puts and Croyde - mostly routes, but you can have a bit of a boulder hop and explore at the North end. Or there is bouldering at Lynmouth, just up the coast. Hopefully Granticus (a local) will see this and help you out with some details.

inn wislon

• regular
    • I'll get you, Butler!
if you're looking for people to boulder with, boulderbus is heading for a weekend in Font in a few weeks time.....

boone

Inn Wislon: what weekend is your mate heading to Font? I have a wedding and few things to go to but would be great to get to font! Early September is looking free-ish atm.

SA Chris: Surf was actually alright in the morning. Messy as during the day with crowds like i have never seen! hahah, was alright though if i hung out the back. was just a bit scary helping my girlfriend onto waves heading straight toward the throng of kids and beginners. Amazed no one got hit!

Might be heading to the rocks at weir wood this sunday arvo - i think they are called stone farm or something? Just be me and my girlfriend at the moment but could meet up if anyone was heading down/up there. Only have an oz mobile at the moment so is just text messages, an 02 sim card is on the way.....

Cheers guys,

-Dan

SA Chris

• forum hero
what weekend is your mate heading to Font?

It's not his mate, it's a commercial venture http://www.boulderbus.co.uk/

Glad you had fun in Croyde. Won't be long now until crowds disappear and sea livens up for autumn. Not sure how long you will survive into winter in 3mm though.

boone

ahhhhh ok. I though was a username... woops.
Wettie was actually too warm last weekend, has merino on inside and made for down to about 11 degrees c I think - hopefully ok with booties and hood.... Doesn't let any water in really either. Could let you know if we head down there again if you want?

-D

SA Chris

• forum hero
Would love to get some waves down there for autumn, but moved from area now, and Aberdeen to Croyde is quite a hike!

Get in touch with granticus though http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php?action=profile;u=2201

He  surfs locally, and is useful for info on bouldering in the area.

boone

Checked out stone farm today - looks great for a weekly boulder in the evening or even during the day during the week if anyone is keen and in need of a bouldering buddy.

Might be heading there sometime this week. Otherwise need to wait until my wheels (pedal power only unfortunately) are ready - should be next week sometime.

Cheers,

Dan

tomtom

• forum hero
Checked out stone farm today - looks great for a weekly boulder in the evening or even during the day during the week if anyone is keen and in need of a bouldering buddy.

Might be heading there sometime this week. Otherwise need to wait until my wheels (pedal power only unfortunately) are ready - should be next week sometime.

Cheers,

Dan

Glad you liked Stone farm - it always gets loads of shit for being a crap venue - but I always really liked it  - nice views and it always felt chilled out. Of course when there are two mini-busses full of scouts running around the place its less pleasant  :)

Not been there for 15 years or so - hope its not too much smaller than it was then!

boone

Yeah it is small and probably has nothing on the big name places but if you are after a regular place to have a go it looks the goods to me. In any case landings are good enough for me to go by myself once i have a pad sorted out but is always nice to have someone to chat with.

Cheers,
D

chriss

• obsessive maniac
If you are on Facebook check 'Southern Sandstone- the Hard Routes' page. There is lots of info on there & you could probably find a local to hook up with.

I am a Sandstone local myself, but currently in Aus sampling Sydneys urban blocs.   

Hope this helps.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal