UKBouldering.com

Gower Recommendations (Read 2542 times)

Steve R

• forum abuser
Gower Recommendations
August 12, 2010, 06:28:29 pm
I'm off to the gower on saturday for a week's family holiday.  Just hoping for some specific area and problem recommendations to best cater for the mid 6's - mid 7's sort of range.  My research so far suggests Caswell Bay is probably the best place to start as long as it's not too busy?  Dinas Rock looks as though it's well worth the drive over to get beasted.  The Trench looks interesting, cool formations.  So they're all quite high priority.  For adventuring and weekend tourist escaping (?),  I'd be keen for any longer walk ins to secluded areas too so long as  the quality's there.

Is there any dws on the gower?  If so, any recommendations - ideally bouldery routes.

Finally, where's best venue(s) for a surfing punter to try his hand?  Sounds like caswell is the favourite again?  (Friendly beach breaks where I'm unlikely to piss off locals/people who know what they're doing order of the day)  Quite like the idea of cruising down to the beach with boulder pad and surf board.

ok, that's all for now I think.  Any other general info on good stuff to do whilst in the area gratefully received,
cheers

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Gower Recommendations
August 12, 2010, 08:00:16 pm
I assume you are have seen this?

http://www.swbg.co.uk/

I've only ever dabbled at Caswell before there was a bouldering guide, some quite nice stuff.

The Trench is quite a hike from Gower, although it depends where exactly on the Gower you are basing yourself. Theres some nice stuff at Rest bay at Porthcawl, although it tends to be either very easy or very hard - need a low tide though.

I guess some of the big stuff at Giant's Cave could be done DWS style, athough not sure about water depth! At high tide I have had a play on some of the stuff on the lower tier (King Wall) Lewes Castle at Fall Bay. Although it's a bit slabby the grades are easy and you are unlikely to fall off, but could jump safely. I know martin Crocker did some big DWS routes at Ogmore, but knowing him they probably aren't the safest or most solid.

Caswell Bay is known for having a fairly hardcore local crew of surfers, I have only surfed there once or twice though, and never really had much hassle. Llangenith is a huge beach that catches any swell going, and you can spread out and avoid any other folk quite easily. Do you have your own board? If not PJs is one of the few hire places so get there early if there are good waves.

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
#2 Re: Gower Recommendations
August 12, 2010, 09:06:15 pm
Fox Hole is what you want for steep/ bouldery short routes (6a - 8b).

Bouldering: The Trench at Ogmore, as you mentioned, but really Dinas is where it's at. A really nice walk for the family round there as well. I'll be up the main wall at Dinas on Sunday but will be warming up with some bouldering beforehand. There's normally people up there most evenings in the week as well.

Can't help with bouldering around gower as haven't done much there (The Trench is at Ogmore, Bridgend, so a trek from Gower as SAChris said).

Your best bet for routes is to have a look through this, a free on-line guide to the area:

http://www.southwalesmountaineering.org.uk/g_book/index.php/South_Wales_Mountaineering_Club_-_Guidebook_Wiki

Steve R

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Gower Recommendations
August 12, 2010, 10:35:29 pm
great, thanks for the links and info guys.

cheers for the surf puntering beta too Chirs - yeah, got my own board, Llangenith sounds ideal.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: Gower Recommendations
August 14, 2010, 07:18:48 am
Nice beach for family too. Notorious for having a hard paddle out when big, but given the forecast it looks unlikely that will be an issue.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal