UKBouldering.com

most iconic (and powerful) photos of our time (Read 37661 times)

Darren S

• addict
    • www.climbnewcastle.com
Some iconic/powerful photos in the 100 Photographs that Changed the World by LIFE magazine.

http://www.digitaljournalist.org/issue0309/lm_index.html

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Thank fuck I'll never (well I hope) ever have to be in a situation like this - 65 years ago yesterday.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
Thank fuck I'll never (well I hope) ever have to be in a situation like this - 65 years ago yesterday.

the faithful reinactment from 'saving private ryan' gives people a good idea.

i dont think you'll have to go thru that as we'll more than be likely be nuked before our [politcal/military] leaders come out of their nuclear bunkers and send us out to war

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
To try and lighten the mood a touch, and on a topical note - some Ashes classics:

Beefy after Headingley 1981:

Strauss taking one of the best catches (dismissing Gilly) in Ashes history:

This still brings a tear to my eye (for more reasons than one) every time I see it:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Is that D-Day landings pic one of the Robert Capa ones that survived when the films got damaged?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Capa

His most famous work occurred on June 6, 1944 (D-Day) when he swam ashore with the second assault wave on Omaha Beach. He was armed with two Contax II cameras mounted with 50 mm lenses and several rolls of spare film. Capa took 106 pictures in the first couple of hours of the invasion. However, a staff member at Life in London made a mistake in the darkroom; he set the dryer too high and melted the emulsion in the negatives in three complete rolls and over half of a fourth roll. Only eight frames in total were recovered.

dave

Is that D-Day landings pic one of the Robert Capa ones that survived when the films got damaged?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Capa

His most famous work occurred on June 6, 1944 (D-Day) when he swam ashore with the second assault wave on Omaha Beach. He was armed with two Contax II cameras mounted with 50 mm lenses and several rolls of spare film. Capa took 106 pictures in the first couple of hours of the invasion. However, a staff member at Life in London made a mistake in the darkroom; he set the dryer too high and melted the emulsion in the negatives in three complete rolls and over half of a fourth roll. Only eight frames in total were recovered.

presumably. :-\ ::)

SA Chris

• forum hero
Funny.

I meant is that pic one of his. It might not be, there were other photographers there.

dave

are we talking about the famous one or something else?

the landing craft one is some other guy.

SA Chris

• forum hero
The famous one, as posted on previous page. Your link gives the answer to the original question.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Stefan Glowacz on Kachoong

SA Chris

• forum hero
Stefan Glowacz (naked) on Kachoong

(I know he's not, but it looks like it)

matthew

• menacing presence

20yrs ago today this happened
was in tianamen square a few months back with the missus and her family.
sat there and wondered how many of the chinese natives around knew or were let to know abt what happened.

Just seen this on Bostons Big Picture. If you look in the background you can see the fella standing in front of the tank column as everyone flees. He must have had a while to think as those tanks roll in...

tomtom

• forum hero
Stefan Glowacz on Kachoong

I think that is one of the most iconic climbing pictures...
 :bow:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Really, the climbing pics should have their own topic, no?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Really, the climbing pics should have their own topic, no?

:devangel: Well we do have the Quality Chuffing thread, but is there justification (being that its a bouldering/climbing orientated forum in general) that there might be a few amongst those that are considered "iconic (and powerful)" of those?

Or pehraps we need an iconic climbing pictures thread  :)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Back on topic.....

Vietnam

Hiroshima

Chernobyl, and teh infamous Elephant's Foot

Amundsen

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
...but is there justification (being that its a bouldering/climbing orientated forum in general) that there might be a few amongst those that are considered "iconic (and powerful)" of those
Cheers for starting the new topic  :thumbsup:

As powerful and iconic as some climbing images may seem to climbers, most of them don't come close in import to the rest of the pics on the topic so better to separate them I reckon.

philo

• forum hero

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
not sure if this is the original i saw years ago that struck me but there are so many.
its the look on the seal's face

(the tagline was just funny so had to post this pic instead of the others)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Policeman shooting Vietcon (as requested below)

Interesting to read more about General Nguyễn Ngọc Loan who's pulled the trigger here.

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
not sure if this is the original i saw years ago that struck me but there are so many.

found it

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
Can I be a pedantic twat (yes you can) and suggest that an iconic photograp needs to be just that and the title is for iconic and powerful not just iconic.

There are plenty of powerful photographs on the thread but few that are truly iconic, to be an iconic photo needs either to be of an icon of an age at a highly significant event, eg Dr M L King below the Lincoln memorial or of a historically significant incident / event that takes on iconic status via the zeitgeist, eg Mai Lai, perhaps the one of the miner 'inspecting the troops at orgreave.

There's millions of powerful photographs but few, I would suggest that are both iconic and powerful.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Can I be a pedantic twat

Iconic:  Of, relating to, or having the character of an icon.
Icon:  An image; a representation

So Iconic purely means a picture.  The newer definition has been twisted somewhat. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal