UKBouldering.com

Suggestions for Peak area kid friendly paddling/swimming venues?? (Read 5923 times)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
With some decent weather upon us I'd be keen to find some river/reservoir with a beach like area for safe toddler paddling? Anyone know of any? The less popular the better!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Its a bit of a hike to get to, especially if you have prams (so probably not that useful), but there's a nice spot a few miles up Alport Valley where there are some waterfalls before a bend in the river widens for paddling, and you're highly unlikely to see many other people there...

rich d

• forum hero
Probably not what you are asking for but worth keeping on the radar is the park in matlock there's a play ground with water fountain style Things and a funky paddling pool- might be worth combining if you are out that way

jern

• menacing presence
Standing Stones has pool very similar to the one above. Water flows over shallow rock before the pool and gets  nicely warm, about 2 feet deep at most (from memeory) so vigilance would be the order of the day.
i do have some photos somewhere but:  1. They prints 2. They've got someones arse / cock in them

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
great stuff, cheers, I'm making notes. Any more?

SamT

• forum hero

Padley gorge is a fave with the hoards, anywhere from Toads mouth down to the parking spot below Longshawe.

Eddies

• forum hero
3 Shires Head (Nr the Roaches) is a great spot for summer paddling fun!

http://www.peakdistrictonline.co.uk/content.php?categoryId=10109

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Standing Stones has pool very similar to the one above. Water flows over shallow rock before the pool and gets  nicely warm, about 2 feet deep at most (from memeory) so vigilance would be the order of the day.
i do have some photos somewhere but:  1. They prints 2. They've got someones arse / cock in them
Just re-read your post properly! a) where is 'Standing Stones' and b)re your photos... I don't wanna know! ;D

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
I think it's the Standing Stones at the Chew Valley, where Wimberry is situated. There are a few spots round here, at the bottom of Wimberry is a stream, probably be full of westies though, near Standing Stones will probably be quieter.

andy popp

• forum hero
Might be of some use: http://www.wildswimming.co.uk/

I had a lovely swim at the Caseg yesterday.

jern

• menacing presence
Yes, it's the Chew Valley one. Pool is pretty obvious below Ocean Wall area of the crag. Aplogies for the delay I was out cranking for the first time in two months :great:

Will scan the photos for you, don't worry!

Rabies

• regular
Suggestion for kid friendly areas! Dangerous territory if you ask me  :-\

SamT

• forum hero
theres also a place called slippery stones we used to frequent as kids - way out the back end of howden res. bit of hike since you cant drive up there anymore. Guess if you've got bikes/kid seats/trailer things - it'd make for a great day out (on a day like today).

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
The woods below Froggatt have a magical little glen, I'll be there with Hugo this Friday if the weather holds.

SamT

• forum hero
Is that 'Bed rock'

where the path that runs from the main bridge in grindleford up into the trees crosses a stream.

Named on account of the big rock shaped like a bed.

ah - those were the days

Pool with ropeswing over it..jumpers for goal posts..

erm, sam

• forum hero
at the bottom of Wimberry is a stream

After putting my hand in a human turd sit starting a problem at Wimberry I would'nt fancy taking a dip in a stream around there. Savages.

NB. I was attempting the problem, not the turd.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
How did you know it was a human turd?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
If it's shaped like a human turd, looks like a human turd and smells like a human turd, then chances are....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal