UKBouldering.com

Insurance replacement for mac (Read 3253 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Insurance replacement for mac
May 19, 2009, 12:14:23 pm
In a fit of vomiting the other week, I ran to the bedroom but had left my ibook next to my bed. Half-feinting, I realised when the bout of ebola had subsided that I had stood on it with the lid closed. Now there's purple patchs and lines across the screen, i.e. it's unusable. I've looked into repairs for the screen but considering I had to order a replacement charger for it from Japan because I couldn't find one any longer in this country, I'm not holding out much hope. I contacted the insurers and reported it under accidental damage and they're going to call me back once their people have dealt with the claim. My question pertains to the replacement; if it's a like for like exchange (i.e. current edition of what it was in 04/05), is the replacement to the value (£1100) of the ibookG4 which was the top of the range ibook at the time or are they within their rights to fob me off with a standard macbook (obviously better than my ibook but lower in equivalent spec)? I only ask because I'm unsure how to hold my corner. Thanks word.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#1 Re: Insurance replacement for mac
May 19, 2009, 12:26:07 pm
I can't help other than to advise that next time you feel the onset of vomit you run to the bathroom instead.

Monolith

• forum hero
#2 Re: Insurance replacement for mac
May 19, 2009, 01:02:54 pm
Ah shit yeah.  ::)

Insurers called back which leads me on to another question; they're going to pick it up on monday via courier but I need to backup all my data and delete it off the system. As I'm no saint, I have some anti-fed validated software and wondered whether I need to take further steps to remove traces of data? Basically, how do I make sure every last shard of data is punished into oblivion? I'm really that stupid with computers.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3 Re: Insurance replacement for mac
May 19, 2009, 01:08:45 pm
A mate of mine used this and it seemed to work well.

Monolith

• forum hero
#4 Re: Insurance replacement for mac
May 19, 2009, 01:27:02 pm
Sounds perfect Jasper thanks. I don't need to be Bill Gates to get this to play ball on Panther OSX do I. Writing C code or some shit yo?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#5 Re: Insurance replacement for mac
May 19, 2009, 01:31:32 pm
What are these words of which you speak?  :shrug:

OH SLACK---LINE!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6 Re: Insurance replacement for mac
May 19, 2009, 02:08:03 pm
Was going to suggest getting a Live Linux CD, booting it and then writing garbage to the HD.

When you delete things from your hard drive under most OS's it doesn't actually remove the data, what it does is remove the reference to the location of all the file bits which, perhaps surprisingly, aren't stored contiguously in one place on the platter of your HD, but are scattered across them.  When you delete something it just removes the reference as to where to find these bits to put them all back together. This is why a decent filesystem (i.e. not fat32/NTFS) have much more finer control allowing you to choose the blocksize and level of journaling thats required.  I never have to "defragment" my hard drive as you do under M$-Windoze.

Anyway you have to physically over-write sections of the HD with nonce sense if you truly want to wipe the data from your HD and by the sounds of it thats what dban does.  It is a Linux based live CD (based on Ubuntu) that appears to work with both PC and Macs by the sounds of it.

Probably as simple as making sure you've definitely backed up everything (do this five times over at different times of day, I wiped some 60Gb of music 'cause I thought I'd backed it up and blithely went and deleted it without checking  :wall:), then drop the CD, let it boot, and well I was going to say follow the online instructions, but you may have some trouble with that if the screen is foobar'd.  Perhaps try plugging in an external monitor and using that to go through the instructions to wipe your HD.

Monolith

• forum hero
#7 Re: Insurance replacement for mac
May 19, 2009, 06:56:16 pm
Thanks Slack!

I'm pretty sure I'll punter it up using the thing Jasper talks about but it sounds the future. Will get involved with it at any rate.
Only really uni work and my tunes I'm bothered about. All the other stuff can go no worries.

Monolith

• forum hero
#8 Re: Insurance replacement for mac
May 24, 2009, 08:45:05 pm
Bollocks. Realised a year back I accidentally deleted Disk Utility off Panther OSX. I can't find a download of it but wondered if it's possible to download it as it's neccessary for DBAN.  :-\

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#9 Re: Insurance replacement for mac
May 24, 2009, 09:38:36 pm
I'd be more concerned w/ eradicating all trace of the Dalmatian sexy p.ornz, Mono  :whistle:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal