UKBouldering.com

Calling of The Barbecue (Read 132400 times)

galpinos

• forum hero
#75 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 04, 2009, 10:02:00 am

We've got one for camping. I really rate it.

Sweet. I came home to find the missus had bought one for our camper van this weekend and I was quite sceptical.

I was all set on a Son of Hibachi http://www.sonofhibachionline.com/ but we'll see how the bucket goes.

If it gets the thumbs up from the UKB King of BBQs I'm sure it'll be great.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#76 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 04, 2009, 10:20:49 am
Sweet. I came home to find the missus had bought one for our camper van this weekend and I was quite sceptical.

Make sure you get briquettes, not loose charcoal, and firelighters to get it going (Wrapped Zip are my favourite as they don't dry out if you leave them out of the box for months at a time)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#77 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 04, 2009, 10:25:12 am
Viz top tip. If you can't get firelighters, then just soak some nougat in paraffin.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#78 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 04, 2009, 10:36:31 am
FFS Chris, who's going to have a bit of nougat hanging around in barbecue season? Marshmallows are a more practical solution (don't use petrol - the ratio of surface area to air inside a marshmallow creates a potentially explosive unit when soaked in petrol)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#79 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 04, 2009, 10:41:23 am
Anyone who doesn't have a piece of nougat on their person at all times is not worthy of being called a gentleman, in my humble opinion.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#80 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 04, 2009, 10:43:50 am
(don't use petrol - the ratio of surface area to air inside a marshmallow creates a potentially explosive unit when soaked in petrol)

8) where's my jerry can

galpinos

• forum hero
#81 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 04, 2009, 10:49:43 am

Make sure you get briquettes, not loose charcoal, and firelighters to get it going (Wrapped Zip are my favourite as they don't dry out if you leave them out of the box for months at a time)

Good advice, cheers. Not sure when we'll actually get to go away in the van and use it at the mo as we've got 9 weddings plus 4 stag dos this year.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#82 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 04, 2009, 10:50:18 am
(don't use petrol - the ratio of surface area to air inside a marshmallow creates a potentially explosive unit when soaked in petrol)

8) where's my jerry can

I may or may not have based my above comment on some completely imagined science.

If anyone can, Jerry can.

tomtom

• forum hero
#83 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 04, 2009, 12:04:31 pm

We've got one for camping. I really rate it.

If it gets the thumbs up from the UKB King of BBQs I'm sure it'll be great.

For those campers wanting a gas one (I await my flaming..) I have a portable Gas BBQ. Made by outback its about 2 ft by 18", has wee legs that fold up and is great. Of course the gas bottle that goes with it is just as big but is really great for car camping/camper vans (esp as you can probably just use the gas bottle from your van stove...). I've had it 6 years and still going strong.. made of some cast ally thing it doesnt even rust..

I suspect I've missed the gas/coal arguments here and am probably very unpopular for having a gas one but its great.. much less faff..

casa

• addict
#84 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 04, 2009, 02:10:41 pm
Tried one of those beercan chicken tings on last nights barbie.......and will be avin plenty more.
Great idea and the chicken came out well moist. Cooked for about 80mins. Used a Texan type rub and a can of lager that one of the boys left round. I will be experimenting with different beers/rubs/marinades. Plenty of recipies if you do a search for beercan chicken though most are American though. Have a go i say

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#85 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 07, 2009, 01:34:57 am
Another sunny day, another barbecue.

Tonight's highlights

Sparrow Grass wrapped in prosciutto for starter - a family favourite.

I like it with only a thin layer of ham and I prefer to use the cheaper, less strong stuff - about half of a slice of the prepacked stuff from the supermarket per asparagus spear is about right (I cut the whole pack in half with scissors). A quick couple of squirts with that spray on cooking oil that calorie counting ladyboys use is just right to stop the ham and the exposed asparagus shrinking or drying out too much.

Let the edges of the ham just start to get crispy and cool for a minute or two before eating.

Ribbons of rump steak (cut across the grain, avoiding the gristle), seasoned with salt and pepper and then twirled around oyster mushrooms on a stick. Takes horse radish, mustard or wassabi very nicely, but is fine on it's own

And of course - man's best friend - straightforward rump steak. Bit of salt, tiny bit of black pepper and some paprika on this one.

This is not just barbecue food; this is Lagerstarfish barbecue food.

Man that looks good - can I come to your house for tea the next time the weather's good?  ;)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#86 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 14, 2009, 04:30:26 pm
Neighbour knocked up an excellent impromptu  carnivore bar-b-q last night of lamb steaks in morrocan seasoning, tuna & pepper kebabs with scotch bonnet seasoning, home-made beef burgers (w/scotch bonnets), mussels in chilli (scotch bonnet!), corriander & white wine sauce (pan on the bar-b-q) and some lightly grilled squid to top it all off.  Tasty!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#87 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 14, 2009, 04:35:39 pm
and some lightly grilled squid to top it all off.
Mmmm... grilled squid.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#88 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 14, 2009, 07:14:27 pm
some top tips from chez applat.

I. twigs from rosemary, applewood or gum tree are all good to throw on the coals.
II. damp woodchips will add a mellow smoke while cooling down the coals
III. treacle acts as a really good base for BBQ marinades, try mixing with basalmic vinegar and smoked paprika.
IV dried cedar cones act as a really good lighter and add a good flavour too.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#89 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 15, 2009, 12:22:47 pm
I had a BBQ, on a beach, while wearing my UKB hoodie, yesterday.  It was lovely, but we had no exciting gourmet food, just burgers and sausages.  ::) 

Mr Cat

• menacing presence
    • Flickr
#90 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 15, 2009, 02:18:19 pm
yeah, bought a cheap bbq from morrisons and ate some chicken shish kebabs...lovely...and got suitable drunk (to celebrate my new job!)

« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 02:42:34 pm by Mr Cat »

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#91 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 15, 2009, 02:25:04 pm
Sunday barbecues are great. It's just the Mondays that come after them that are not so great.  :alky:  :alky:  :beer2: :beer1:

Sloper

• forum hero
#92 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
July 13, 2009, 01:16:56 pm
I need to sort a BBQ for my 40 364/365 birthday and was hoping for some tips.

Ideally large, adjustable and obviously non gas.  Cheap would obviously be a bonus

Control freak

• forum abuser
    • nick fletcher photography
#93 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
July 14, 2009, 04:00:49 am
I used to be a total non gas advocate but after getting one I would never turn back.
One like this in fact

That plus if you get caught lighting a fire during a total fire ban youll get nailed to the gates of hell!!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#94 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
July 14, 2009, 08:24:18 am
Have you thrown another shrimp on it yet?

Control freak

• forum abuser
    • nick fletcher photography
#95 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
July 14, 2009, 01:59:39 pm
Several infact. Actually, last time I checked they called the BBQ here in about 1788 and its been going ever since  ;D

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#96 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
July 24, 2009, 02:12:12 am
So aside from Asparagus in Prosciutto (which I've already decided to do), what are the UKB's collective bar-b-que favourite recipes?

I'm looking to Sloper for something fancy here, but just keen to get some ideas for slightly unusual, but fantastic food stuffs.

Sloper

• forum hero
#97 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
July 24, 2009, 07:20:22 am
The asparagus season is over, what you'll be buying now will be over priced and poor quality.

Sloper

• forum hero
#98 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
July 24, 2009, 07:51:12 am
Sorry, got distracted by work  :wank: anyway I'd suggest roasting peppers with feta, simply split small red / yellow peppers (avoid green) in half and roast inside way down for a few minutes then run over, splash with some olive oil and season then put in cubes of feta, some breadcrumbs and chopped herbs and return to the grill.

marinade cubed goat in coconut milk, cumin and chilli and put on skewers with small cubes of sweet potato and grill.

duck and honey, cut thin strips of duck breast and marinade in lots of honey and garlic, quickly grill an serve with humus and pitta bread

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#99 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
August 29, 2009, 10:07:21 am
excellent barbecue videos for inspiration

http://www.youtube.com/user/BarbecueWeb

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal