UKBouldering.com

Calling of The Barbecue (Read 132261 times)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#300 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
February 04, 2017, 11:00:03 pm
What does your Argentinian brother in law suggest? I'm about to go there for two months...

what do you want to know?

my sister and him have lived there and visit a lot to see family

eating lots of beef seems to be the main pastime

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#301 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
February 04, 2017, 11:07:46 pm
What does your Argentinian brother in law suggest? I'm about to go there for two months...

actually, he says that being a vegetarian is ok as long as you like chicken

Yossarian

• forum hero
#302 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
February 05, 2017, 10:08:35 am
Ahhhh, Argentinian meat! The nearest I've ever come to a religious experience was in a parrilla near Bariloche...

I finally got round to having my own mini version made for a couple of parties last summer. Going to look at a more permanent version with a mechanical grill shelf and a separate fire basket sometime in the next year or two.

This one worked pretty well though...

fried

• forum hero
#303 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
February 05, 2017, 05:31:00 pm
Bastard!

andy_e

• forum hero
#304 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
February 06, 2017, 09:24:33 am
what do you want to know?

Dishes to look out for/avoid, what's good, that sort of thing...

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#305 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
February 14, 2017, 03:38:07 pm
Anyone got any opinions on these ceramic BBQ's? Big Green Egg or Kamado Joe contraptions.

Quite tempted if money was no/less of an object, and on balance I would probably prefer to spend the money on a new surfboard (Donald Brink asym anyone?  :punk:).

Yossarian

• forum hero
#306 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
February 15, 2017, 09:34:05 am
I don't have one, but I've used a large Big Green Egg quite a bit.

I'd get one if I had some spare cash - the slow cooking potential is pretty epic. Smoking, American BBQ style especially.

I think the smallest sizes are probably not as versatile but the large does cost a fortune. As a year round option for cooking big chunks of meat plus efficient fast cooking too it is a decent bit of kit.

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#307 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
February 15, 2017, 12:37:18 pm
Cheers for that; pretty much mirrors my thoughts. A "nice to have" for sure but not sure it's worth the layout.

As my other half keeps pointing out I/we have many other house refurb expenditure priorities (plus new surfboard coveting)

Yossarian

• forum hero
#308 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
February 15, 2017, 01:04:51 pm
There are so many awesome barbecue setups that you can knock together with the most basic materials, and most of them cook so much better that commercially produced ones. The main reason I had the stainless one made is that it needed to be easy to transport.

A heavy gridiron and some bricks, plus a decent butcher, and you're away.

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#309 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
February 15, 2017, 01:16:13 pm
:drool:

Catcheemonkey

• addict
#310 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
February 15, 2017, 01:22:48 pm
This thread is pure p0rn.

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#311 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
February 15, 2017, 02:50:15 pm
never mind a ceramic what about one of these bad boys?!http://www.planetbarbecue.co.uk/sfmasonbbq.html

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#312 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
April 09, 2017, 10:08:29 pm
Umm... guys?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#313 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
July 12, 2017, 04:29:54 pm
This thread is clearly in such disarray that it falls to me to call it. I've had a couple of BBQs earlier in the year but it was on those disposable nonsenses. I have now purchased my very own charcoal thing from Homebase. Cheap and cheerful it may be, but all the basic ingredients are there.

However, over the course of two BBQs this past weekend, my complete lack of BBQ skill was horribly exposed. The first attempt saw a complete loss of heat when I forgot to open the lower vents, meaning a restart was required. The second attempt saw lots of heat but also a huge amount of burning.

My wife has told me I'm BBQing for 7 people on Saturday and now I'm bricking it. In order to reduce the opportunity for fuck up, I'll stick to simple stuff. Some chicken breasts, a few sausages, a few burgers. But, I need some tips on burning reduction.

Last time I used the BBQ I got a load of coals on, opened the vents and, once the charcoal had whitened and was spread out, chucked the food on and let it do it's thing. Whenever fat leaked out of the meat, it pissed onto the coals and caused lots of flames. This proved really difficult to control. Is there a way to mitigate this? I'm thinking maybe close the lower vents (or nearly close them) once the food is on. With the lid on as well and the lid vent open, this might stop the flames but still leave enough heat to cook? My concern about closing the vents is that it'll stifle the heat production and mean the thing isn't hot enough to cook on. Perhaps I need to put fewer coals on, or at least don't spread them out so much so that there is a refuge area away from the coals which still heats up when the lid is on, but doesn't get affected by burning.

Any advice? Obviously as a male I'm supposed to just know this stuff, but since I'm such a pale imitation of manhood I need some guidance.

Durbs

• forum hero
#314 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
July 12, 2017, 04:53:15 pm
A spray bottle filled with water is ideal for tamping flames down without killing the coals.

If time / effort is an issue, you can by "chimney starters" which get your charcoals up to heat really efficiently by stacking them above firelighters in - you'll never guess - a chimney. So they get white and glowing in about twenty minutes, then you just pour them on to your grill
Linky

Microwave the chicken first to avoid giving everyone the squitz.

I've finally MTFU'd and got myself a firepit with a tripod and hanging grill.
Great to cook, and damn rugged too. Also, nice to look at.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#315 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
July 12, 2017, 07:40:03 pm
Will - the main technique you will need is to have a foil tray with a bit of water in it and hot coals to either side, or just one side - any burgers or sausages can then be cooked above the tray so any fat that drops does not burst into flame - look for photos of "indirect heat bbq" for ideas

use decent quality briquettes for long cooking sessions rather than charcoal

if there will be hungry kids, it's worth pre-cooking sausages in the oven and then keep them wrapped in foil and just finish them off over coals

you can still put stuff directly over the coals for a bit more browning/char

don't try to control anything with vents - leave all fully open

putting the lid on can prevent flare up sometimes

fried

• forum hero
#316 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
July 12, 2017, 07:46:37 pm
Microwave...what t f!

Just do it loads and you'll get used to it. Try to not spead out the coals evenly, that way you'll have cooler spots to put stuff in when it gets too hot. Don't worry about vents..you're just grilling stuff on an open flame. Sometimes you just need to take everything off and wait a bit.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#317 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
July 12, 2017, 08:25:39 pm
Fried's ideas are fine - if you are cooking actual pieces of meat/fish/veg - if you are cooking UK style sausages and burgers, have an indirect system set up

The only reason I don't call the season is because I now burn all year round

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#318 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
July 12, 2017, 09:20:55 pm
Ah yes, that foil tray sounds like just the job. I knew UKB wouldn't let me down. Thanks.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#319 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
July 12, 2017, 09:27:27 pm
I prefer cooking sausages direct, but raised up higher, so the flaring contributes smoke flavour but there's no burning.

But this article provides extremely good results too... http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/the-food-lab-the-best-way-to-grill-sausages.html

I think burgers work better on a flat iron griddle.

tomtom

• forum hero
#320 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
July 12, 2017, 09:31:01 pm
Gosh - that's a lot of work. Just turn the gas on 15 min before to warm up the lava rocks and away you go :)

Simples.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#321 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
July 12, 2017, 09:33:29 pm
I think burgers work better on a flat iron griddle.

:agree:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#322 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
July 12, 2017, 09:36:17 pm
what bbq will you be using, Will?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#323 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
July 12, 2017, 10:40:01 pm
To prevent burning it's all about the lid. Vents mostly open and mostly lid on. Regularly check and turn sausages. Leave an area with few or no coals to keep done meat warm. If the lids on it shouldn't flare or blacken too quickly. We have Weber kettle but used cheap ones successfully. If you want to impress use indirect method ( lid on and pile coals to either side) to do a joint. 

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#324 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
July 12, 2017, 11:03:18 pm
what bbq will you be using, Will?

This is my BBQ. There are many like it but this one is mine. Without me, my BBQ is useless. Without my BBQ, I am useless.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/jumbuck-enamel-57cm-kettle-charcoal-bbq---black-375161

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal