UKBouldering.com

Quick IT help Please! (Read 1140 times)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
Quick IT help Please!
May 22, 2009, 09:34:09 am
Nothing critical but my son managed to switch the wireless hub off at the plug and while I can connect via the lan, for some reason the laptop won't detect the wireless network!

The light on the hub is showing the network is owrking on wireless and the WLAN on the laptop is on, so what the f--k is going on.............

I've tried turning them both off and starting again.......

If this goes on I'm going to have to move my printer and that will mean clearing out a cupboard of epic untidyness

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Quick IT help Please!
May 22, 2009, 09:38:44 am
Plug your laptop into a port and point your browser at http://192.168.1.1 or perhaps http://192.168.1.100 which should be the administration page for the router.

Check that the router has valid DNS settings, and that the wireless is correctly functioning from there (lights on the front aren't always a good indicator).

On your laptop try setting up a new wireless connection and scanning for available networks to see if it can find you're network again (rather than failing to connect to the established network settings, as "something" might have changed in the wireless networks setting by virtue of the reboot).

Make and model of the router would also facilitate more detailed advice on settings etc. (providing a manual can be found, which it probably can, I remember Jim posting a link to site that hosts manuals for virtually all wireless routers).

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#2 Re: Quick IT help Please!
May 22, 2009, 09:42:40 am
Virtual  :beer1: to you mate.

Thank f--k for that!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3 Re: Quick IT help Please!
May 22, 2009, 11:22:08 am