UKBouldering.com

Extractions. (Read 6845 times)

St Hubbins

• stalker
  • Where the magic happens...
#25 Re: Extractions.
May 17, 2009, 09:24:14 am
I had to have a tooth out last month. Went to a NHS one, it was grubby and full of people who had skipped their morning shower. After paying out for the first visit I was told to come back in 6 weeks to have it removed!!!

Fuck that i thought, and went private. Found a swish place with an attractive receptionist and a water feature in the waiting area. Removed tooth next day. £290 in total.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#26 Re: Extractions.
May 20, 2009, 12:44:20 pm
Forgot to add this the other day when I found it, but if you're thinking of having wisdom teeth out for cosmetic regions (i.e. to prevent you're front teeth getting pushed around), you might be interested in reading this.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#27 Re: Extractions.
May 20, 2009, 01:38:26 pm
Having inherited useless teeth I have had a ton of work done over the years. All of it on the NHS and 99% of it absolutely spot on. It's luck of the draw I know and perhaps I've just been lucky so far but I've never even considered going private. When people tell me how much they've paid for similar treatment to some of the stuff I've had done (for buttons) it amazes me.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#28 Re: Extractions.
May 20, 2009, 01:46:09 pm
Dunno about anywhere else in the country, but locally you have almost no chance of getting an NHS dentist. I did find one when I first moved here, but it was in a really dodgy estate, and they made a total mess of a root canal treatment that the g/f's dentist had to fix (they left half the root behind, which rotted and infected the gum, and then claimed it was impssobile to fix and wanted to extract). I have gone to him only since. He took me on as a private patient, even though he was NHS at the time, but he is fully private now. Of everyone in our dept at work (about a dozen) only one has an NHS dentist, as she has lived in a town outside Aberdeen for 30 years. And he is about to retire.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#29 Re: Extractions.
May 20, 2009, 01:59:17 pm
If anyone is looking for an NHS dentist in Sheffield, I can reccommend Broadfield Dental - they are still taking on patients. I got Lagers Jr MK1 registered there and they've been great.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#30 Re: Extractions.
May 20, 2009, 02:09:21 pm
It doesn't seem to be such a problem in Sheffield. I switched NHS dentists a couple of years ago, no bother.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#31 Re: Extractions.
May 20, 2009, 02:22:17 pm
I hear a lot of horror stories about not being able to get an NHS dentist up here but I've never had a problem, I just go the the nearest one when I move and they sign me up.  I've been really lucky with the latest one too, they're very cheap and pushed me through to have my wisdom teeth done much sooner than I expected.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#32 Re: Extractions.
May 20, 2009, 02:27:15 pm
There's no luck of the draw at all w/ dental treatment.  All about where you live and how many people are there w/ you.  Sheffield is relatively wealthy and thus well appointed. 

If you lived in Norfolk which has a sparce population you'd struggle to find an NHS dentist.  Wages are low in that part of Britain (shit all work and largely agricultural) and NHS dentists are chock-a-block to the gunnels.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#33 Re: Extractions.
May 20, 2009, 02:30:08 pm
Sheffield is relatively wealthy and thus well appointed. 

Whereas Aberdeen is in Scotland. I think Magpie is lucky, as most people in Glasgow area have lost all their teeth by their mid teens through brawling and drinking too much IRN BRU.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#34 Re: Extractions.
May 20, 2009, 02:33:38 pm
Chris has a point actually; only a small percentage of Glaswegians actually have teeth, so there is less demand here. 

;D <--- me, still with teeth, for now.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#35 Re: Extractions.
May 20, 2009, 02:40:24 pm
If I lived in Norfolk then the least of my worries would be finding an NHS dentist. However, I take your point Houd.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal