UKBouldering.com

Petroghrad/ Czech Republic (Read 1653 times)

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
Petroghrad/ Czech Republic
December 31, 2022, 08:11:25 pm
Anybody got a guide they want to sell?. Seems to be out of print. Thanks.
Oh and Happy New Year!

lloyders

#1 Re: Petroghrad/ Czech Republic
January 01, 2023, 07:10:54 pm
I'm pretty sure I've got 1 in the attic but I'm not at home for a few days. I'll have a look in a few days and get back to you.  :2thumbsup:
Great place to explore!

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Petroghrad/ Czech Republic
January 02, 2023, 07:02:51 am
Thanks lloyders.
We've actually managed to track one in a German bookshop and ordered it. However the last time we tried (different shop, different book)it was an unbelievable amount of faff due to sodding Brexit and we ended up getting a refund.So we'll see over the next few weeks....If it doesn't arrive I'll be back in touch!  We're also away until February. Cheers!

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Petroghrad/ Czech Republic
February 04, 2023, 07:51:14 am
Now sorted but thanks for the offer.

honroid

• addict
#4 Re: Petroghrad/ Czech Republic
February 05, 2023, 08:10:21 am
What's the season for Petroghrad? Is it doable for an Easter trip as an alternative to Font?

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: Petroghrad/ Czech Republic
February 05, 2023, 09:48:57 am
What's the season for Petroghrad? Is it doable for an Easter trip as an alternative to Font?

We've not been before but apparently there can be a little snow in winter but still climbable.Spring and Autumn suggested as best times, usual caveats re.climate change apply.
We're going June to tie in with the WC in Prague.

JamieG

• forum hero
#6 Re: Petroghrad/ Czech Republic
February 05, 2023, 02:23:35 pm
Don’t want to quell enthusiasm but I went to petrohad a few years ago and was underwhelmed. Sněžník and Modřín seemed way better and just as easy from Prague. See what I wrote below after our trip.

Had a lovely time in the Czech Republic, but just thought I'd share a few thoughts/tips post trip in case anyone is thinking of going in the future.

Petrohad - Whilst there is some good bouldering and nice problems, I think this place has been really oversold as a Czech bouldering paradise. A lot of the problems are weird sit starts on very small boulders which are really difficult to find in the forest. Also they seem to pack in about 4 lines on a boulder, when there is really about 1 line and maybe a couple eliminates/sit-starts. Quite a few areas seems to be overgrown again and this has reclaimed a lot of the lines.

Pros - Some really nice lines. Good quality rock. Cheap beer/food/accommodation. Nice scenery. Excellent bird life.

Cons - Rock is sharp! (I split a tip on a 5, when I wasn't even pulling hard) Loads of ticks. Guidebook is really hard to use (thought the maps were pretty useless). Lots of wandering around in the forest trying to even find the areas.

Sněžník and Modřín - In the north of the country (we went for a day trip to Modrin). Massively better than Petrohad. Very nice coarse sandstone (a bit like some of the fine grained grit areas). More and better lines, better scenery, less ticks (we didn't see any), basically better in every way. Really is like a mini font, especially since there are more areas to be detailed in future guides (like Tisa) and Bahratal is just across the border in Germany and apparently very similar.

Pros - Same as Petrohad but better in every way. Seems more to do in the surrounding area too, since its more touristy anyway.

Cons - Still not super easy to find some of the problems, but definitely better than Petrohad. Saw quite a lot of wasps. Guidebook isn't super inspiring, but the problems are better than they look in the guide.

In summary go to Sněžník and Modřín and maybe go for the day to Petrohad (about 1hr 40 min) if you are curious since it is worth seeing, especially if you like ticks and hate your finger tips. :)

P.s. a french climber at Petrohad told us Bor is the east of the country is amazing sandstone bouldering. But can't really comment since we didn't go.

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: Petroghrad/ Czech Republic
February 05, 2023, 04:43:49 pm
Don’t want to quell enthusiasm but I went to petrohad a few years ago and was underwhelmed. Sněžník and Modřín seemed way better and just as easy from Prague. See what I wrote below after our trip.

Had a lovely time in the Czech Republic, but just thought I'd share a few thoughts/tips post trip in case anyone is thinking of going in the future.

Petrohad - Whilst there is some good bouldering and nice problems, I think this place has been really oversold as a Czech bouldering paradise. A lot of the problems are weird sit starts on very small boulders which are really difficult to find in the forest. Also they seem to pack in about 4 lines on a boulder, when there is really about 1 line and maybe a couple eliminates/sit-starts. Quite a few areas seems to be overgrown again and this has reclaimed a lot of the lines.

Pros - Some really nice lines. Good quality rock. Cheap beer/food/accommodation. Nice scenery. Excellent bird life.

Cons - Rock is sharp! (I split a tip on a 5, when I wasn't even pulling hard) Loads of ticks. Guidebook is really hard to use (thought the maps were pretty useless). Lots of wandering around in the forest trying to even find the areas.

Sněžník and Modřín - In the north of the country (we went for a day trip to Modrin). Massively better than Petrohad. Very nice coarse sandstone (a bit like some of the fine grained grit areas). More and better lines, better scenery, less ticks (we didn't see any), basically better in every way. Really is like a mini font, especially since there are more areas to be detailed in future guides (like Tisa) and Bahratal is just across the border in Germany and apparently very similar.

Pros - Same as Petrohad but better in every way. Seems more to do in the surrounding area too, since its more touristy anyway.

Cons - Still not super easy to find some of the problems, but definitely better than Petrohad. Saw quite a lot of wasps. Guidebook isn't super inspiring, but the problems are better than they look in the guide.

In summary go to Sněžník and Modřín and maybe go for the day to Petrohad (about 1hr 40 min) if you are curious since it is worth seeing, especially if you like ticks and hate your finger tips. :)

P.s. a french climber at Petrohad told us Bor is the east of the country is amazing sandstone bouldering. But can't really comment since we didn't go.

No problems Jamie, Sneznik was actually going to be the main focus of our trip but Petrohrad is closer to Prague for the comp.Hadnt really heard of the other places so thanks for that!

JamieG

• forum hero
#8 Re: Petroghrad/ Czech Republic
February 05, 2023, 04:51:41 pm
Hope you have a great trip. I really enjoyed the Czech Republic. Would love to go back again.

honroid

• addict
#9 Re: Petroghrad/ Czech Republic
February 06, 2023, 07:17:38 pm
Alright, cheers for the info. Sněžník and Modřín are a better bet then. Something to look into.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal