UKBouldering.com

Antihydral (Read 46909 times)

butterworthtom

• stalker
    • Incoherent Rambling's of a Lakes Boulderer
Antihydral
May 19, 2009, 09:51:32 pm
I was thinking of investing in Antihydral, after doing a quick search people seem to have had good and bad experiences with it. My tips get greasy when climbing and long problems can be difficult purely cause of sweaty tips by the end. I have pretty soft finger skin despite climbing about 3 years, i dont tend to get flappers or splits or anything.
Would antihydral be of much use to me??
What are the positives and negatives of using it?

Paul B

• forum hero
#1 Re: Antihydral
May 19, 2009, 11:15:41 pm
+ve
Harder Less Sweaty Tips

-ve
splits if used incorrectly
dry fire/glassy tips

I've found it useful when my skins really thin and weepy just to give me an extra day or two on a trip. However, I went away, used it a bit and now have massive white circles on my tips, much like just getting out of a bath, only I haven't.

butterworthtom

• stalker
#2 Re: Antihydral
May 19, 2009, 11:35:00 pm
I got massive white circles after coming back from a recent font trip, they looked a bit like blisters but weren't filled with fluid or anything. It just seemed to be down to excessive abuse.
What is correct antihydral use?? If I bought some is there an information leaflet inside about how much it should be used?

Paul B

• forum hero
#3 Re: Antihydral
May 19, 2009, 11:38:18 pm
In german yes! I'm sure fatdoc on here wrote an advise sheet for it when he was importing it?

Correct use from what I gather is once a week or on very thin skin to help it last just that bit longer. The jurys out on whether or not you put it on for 15mins and wash it off or leave it on all night.
I've also heard of one particular comp wad using it both days prior to a comp to get rid of grease.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#4 Re: Antihydral
May 20, 2009, 09:03:05 am

butterworthtom

• stalker
#5 Re: Antihydral
May 20, 2009, 10:07:24 am
Cheers! That has helped, I think i'm going to get some.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#6 Re: Antihydral
March 26, 2011, 10:34:40 am
sorry to resurrect this, but I just ordered some Antihydral and I'm looking for general advice after a few years of people trying it.
I have also read the older thread.
so, general consensus is:
- use it once a week max;
- maybe a couple of days before climbing;
- put a little bit on and rub it;
- avoid putting it into splits;
- use moisturizer creams after.

anything more? I got it to be able to try my project even in summer, when it could easily be in the 30°, and also getting harder skin for the nasty pinch and crimp.
thanks as usual for feedback.

rodma

• forum hero
#7 Re: Antihydral
March 28, 2011, 01:06:17 pm
sorry to resurrect this, but I just ordered some Antihydral and I'm looking for general advice after a few years of people trying it.
I have also read the older thread.
so, general consensus is:
- use it once a week max;
- maybe a couple of days before climbing;
- put a little bit on and rub it;
- avoid putting it into splits and folds/creases at joints;
- use moisturizer creams after.

anything more? I got it to be able to try my project even in summer, when it could easily be in the 30°, and also getting harder skin for the nasty pinch and crimp.
thanks as usual for feedback.

On trips I end up using it pretty much every second day

The antihydral makes the skin a little weird and thick, not all of which the rock will wear away. Make sure and sand the extra areas of thick skin down

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#8 Re: Antihydral
March 28, 2011, 03:59:13 pm
thanks alot!

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#9 Re: Antihydral
March 28, 2011, 04:14:22 pm
I use it all year round about once a fortnight on just middle two on the small area of my tip that gets worn (first half pad). I tend to leave it on overnight. I'm sure antihydral allows me to do a more moves by drying it and making it tougher but it can only be used on good quality skin (ie can be thin but not torn or multi layered or split). Be a little careful too because it tends to toughen just the surface so sharp holds are more likely to split to blood.

Paul B

• forum hero
#10 Re: Antihydral
March 28, 2011, 04:15:35 pm
The antihydral makes the skin a little weird and thick, not all of which the rock will wear away. Make sure and sand the extra areas of thick skin down
This is how I used it on what turned out to be my best Font trip ever and I'm certain it helped my skin last that extra few tries/days.

joel

• player
#11 Re: Antihydral
March 28, 2011, 05:59:59 pm
I use it all year round about once a fortnight on just middle two on the small area of my tip that gets worn (first half pad). I tend to leave it on overnight. I'm sure antihydral allows me to do a more moves by drying it and making it tougher but it can only be used on good quality skin (ie can be thin but not torn or multi layered or split). Be a little careful too because it tends to toughen just the surface so sharp holds are more likely to split to blood.
:agree:

This is how i've ended up using it too after reading the other thread linked. If my skin isn't too bad but I know it's going to get caned on crimps or rough rock during a session then a little (think VERY little) applied just before the session works wonders. obviously this works during the session too. the amount used ,and frequency of use seems to differ dramatically between friends, so some trial and error is necessary!

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#12 Re: Antihydral
April 16, 2011, 09:32:25 am
so the magic stuff arrived. applied it last night. one question. it looks more like a thick paste than a cream and after putting it on it forms a brown patina that sticks to the skin and stays there rather than being absorbed. is this normal or have i been robbed big time paying 15 euros for toothpaste?

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
#13 Re: Antihydral
April 16, 2011, 10:49:14 am
hmm, mine is more of a creamish colour. Though I suppose at a push it could be called a very light brown.
Definitely quite creamy, and doesnt really dry unless I put a very small amount on each finger.
White box with blue writing?

I guess just wait for some results.
I thought they might be a little unnoticeable but after 4/5 almost consecutive sessions cranking down the wall my fingertips were still present and strong,
which definitely didnt happen before the cream...and I dont think the placebo effect can do that can it?

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#14 Re: Antihydral
April 18, 2011, 09:35:47 am
so the magic stuff arrived. applied it last night. one question. it looks more like a thick paste than a cream and after putting it on it forms a brown patina that sticks to the skin and stays there rather than being absorbed. is this normal or have i been robbed big time paying 15 euros for toothpaste?

That's normal. Let it dry and wash it off in the morning or after a few hours.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#15 Re: Antihydral
April 18, 2011, 12:38:12 pm
thanks again.
I went climbing yesterday and I have to say I noticed a different in my skin. it helped in crimpy-painful prehension, but dryfiring, with hot and dry temps, happened a couple of times. ouch.
all in all very promising.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#16 Re: Antihydral
April 20, 2011, 09:55:28 pm

That's normal. Let it dry and wash it off in the morning or after a few hours.

i agree...

btw it stains bed sheets...

just made sure i have a supply for font next week... 5 days of full on circuits... despite my poor skin i reckon I'll get 5 days ( 1/2  a day each.. but full on) in a row on the boulders.. I'll start the AH tomorrow.. will climb first day sunday.

Beastio

• regular
  • Gaskins.
    • Blog
#17 Re: Antihydral
April 21, 2011, 02:54:26 pm
Does anybody know where to buy it in the UK?

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#18 Re: Antihydral
April 21, 2011, 04:10:37 pm
Da Weeeeeeerrrrrrrks.

tomtom

• forum hero
#19 Re: Antihydral
April 21, 2011, 04:12:20 pm
Da Weeeeeeerrrrrrrks.

Are you in Gadaffi character here El Stallioni?

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#20 Re: Antihydral
April 21, 2011, 04:30:31 pm
Thats how Bablefish translated it to scouse.    :shrug:.

Stop hatin' on the geez.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 04:43:35 pm by robertostallioni »

Beastio

• regular
  • Gaskins.
    • Blog

tomtom

• forum hero
#22 Re: Antihydral
April 21, 2011, 07:31:56 pm
Thats how Bablefish translated it to scouse.    :shrug:.

Mybad - I'm not too flash on recognising online scouse..

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#23 Re: Antihydral
April 21, 2011, 07:58:41 pm
lad dem cat webs are fuckin sick!

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#24 Re: Antihydral
April 25, 2011, 06:24:04 pm
Beastio, no amount of antihydral will offer protection to you if you're attempting boulder problems after the hands of Crouch have touched them.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal