UKBouldering.com

Northumberland bouldering grades (Read 2007 times)

sharkey

• addict
Northumberland bouldering grades
October 26, 2003, 09:29:48 pm
A can of worms i know, but could someone explain how the Northumberland B grade system works incomparison to say V grades or Font grades, the system seems to be very inconsistant B5 seems to cover anything from V4 to V7,depending on venue -such strangeness, any benchmarks for routes such as, Captain Haddock, Yorkshire 8a, The Crack at Bowden- {]given B7 in guide but i have heard is Font 8a} would be appreciated.      The Northumberland area has to be one of the best bouldering areas in the country, it astounds me that the guide to the area is so poor, to keep the tourists away me thinks.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#1 Northumberland bouldering grades
October 26, 2003, 11:07:47 pm
The grades in the guide are very inconsistent - but to be fair to the lads who produced the guide, they did base there system upon what they had experienced in the Peak and Yorkshire at the time. Back then (as little as 2-3 years ago) there was very little realistic consensus anywhere in the country. Its just that that there has been a dramatic increase in the level of understanding and cross comparison in the last couple of years.

Most locals that I have spoken to use Font grades.

You're right about the quality of the climbing though - I was born in Gateshead, but left the N East when I was 10. Luckily my family returned to live in Bedlington in the late 80s, so I've always had an alterior motive for my family visits.

dmitri

• player
#2 Northumberland bouldering grades
October 27, 2003, 12:51:56 am
Heres an idea lets only have 2 grades:-

"Possible for punters" & "If u can do this u shud b sponsored"

Hows that?

dave

#3 Northumberland bouldering grades
October 27, 2003, 09:16:58 am
I agree that guide is probably the worst bouldering guide i've ever seen. it was supposed to be "lets get the visitors away from the knackered classics" but fails cos the topos/descriptions at places like bowden are so poor you're left only being able to try the knackered recognisable things like vienna etc cos they are the only ones you can identify.

i recon some of the grades on there are right-ish though. i seem to remember Y-front being given B3 or something which is fair, and vienna B7.

Greg C

• forum hero
#4 Northumberland bouldering grades
October 27, 2003, 01:24:33 pm
I was up there this weekend and must say I had an excellent time, although I was not quite as impressed with the venues and lines as I had expected to be.

With a three hour drive it would have to be a bit more awe inspiring than it is, but still a top area though.

Greg

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#5 Northumberland bouldering grades
October 27, 2003, 02:25:33 pm
I have never been, though it does sound good. Jolly Roger tells tales of a trip up there with the one like the Harris just after StoneLove had come out, apparently there were a posse of southerners on a weekender up there and they ooh'ed and aah'ed as the Harris crimped his way through the classics, then Big Malc turned up and was asked for his autograph... Bless!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal