UKBouldering.com

Anyone going to the Petzl Roc trip - Millau 26/6 (Read 2656 times)

MorganW

• regular
Anybody thinking of going to this year's Roc Trip?

Looks like it's back in Millau so fairly handy to get to:

http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/news/events-0/2009/05/02/petzl-roctrip-090626

I'm not sure if that means Tarn or Jonte, but either have quality climbing i'm told.  I've been meaning to get out there so this might be the motivation i need.  UKC article here:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1556

Palomides

• forum abuser

I wasn't planning on going, but it actually looks quite good. The petzl site shows that they're going to equip a new sector in the Gorges de la Jonte - about 2km from the village of Le Rozier, which is about 25mins drive from Millau.

The naturalgames.fr website has some more details. Although I wouldn't recommend looking at the English version as it contains the most eye-wateringly bad translation I've ever seen.

Looks like the pros have a single "Infinity Lane" route to try - something like 120m to 140m long, with two belayers and at least 8c.

The amateur contest is 60 new single-pitch routes, each entrant gets a topo and off they go. There's also two multipitch routes to do (if you want to get some sort of CAF certificate?) and a easier version of the pros route: a 120m single pitch F6a pitch.

Palomides

• forum abuser

Although thinking about it, that side of the valley faces full, unshaded, roasting hot, crispy fried climber south... and I have sensitive skin, unsuited to the south of France in June...

MorganW

• regular
wow...a 120m pitch sounds awesome, though i would probably have to opt for the 6a version.

I had heard that there are usually good shade options to be had in the gorges there....ie west and east facing.

Palomides

• forum abuser
That's true of the equipped sectors in the Tarn - they're mostly located low down in a part of the gorge that runs north-south, on the west bank, so they start to get complete shade in the afternoon.

But the Preztel team have chosen the Gorges du Jonte. This runs east-west, with the crag being at the top. It catches the sun, as you might be able to see if this picture works:

It's a great location for summer climbing, if you can choose where you go.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal