UKBouldering.com

Internet on the move (Read 5016 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Internet on the move
April 30, 2009, 12:01:38 pm
Sorry if this sounds like I haven't got a clue, but that's probably because i don't have a clue.

Planning on getting a little laptop or something for using in the van while travelling, mostly in the UK. I know you can get a USB Modem (?)you plug in the side of the laptop so you can access the internet via mobile phone network, but how fast is it, how reliable is it, and for occasional use what is the best option to look at.

Alternatively.. is there anything we can install in the van to give us web access that is cheaper / more reliable / faster than doing it that way.

Want it mostly for UK use in mostly remote areas, accessing forecasts and email, but will be venturing into Europe at some point in the future.

Thanks

account_inactive

• forum hero
#1 Re: Internet on the move
April 30, 2009, 12:18:16 pm
 I'm about to put wifi in the van, but the chances of being able to pull up to free spots is not very reliable.

From what I've heard the mobile broadband speed is pretty good but i doubt you will be able to find a reasonable tariff for europe.

The other way i get internet in the van is to teather a g1 or iphone and use the unlimited web access. Not that I would do that as it's specifically outside terms and conditions of the network provider 

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2 Re: Internet on the move
April 30, 2009, 12:20:37 pm
Ideally you want a 3G connection, but you can likely do this over non-3G too.

Speed and reliability will first of all therefore be determined by the availability of 3G coverage, and also on the network provider you are with.  Given you've mentioned "remote" areas I'm guessing 3G coverage isn't going to be great, but you can get an indication of how reliable it might be would be to base it on your ability to use your mobile phone in these areas (if you've been there before that is!).

As for best option, it depends on what you want to do.  Most deals seem to be pro rata (i.e. you pay for the bandwidth you use), so if you can estimate that you won't be using more than say 1Gb a month, then there's no point paying for an "unlimited" contract (although these are a massive misnomer as they are subject to "fair usage" policies, yeah, well how about having a "fair description" policy you twats!).

Alternatively you could get one of these...

Not much help or detail I'm afraid.  I have "unlimited" net usage on my N95 through 3 and had trouble using it in the Lakes, Cornwall and Angelsey when away from towns (and even then coverage wasn't great).  I can also set the phone up to act as a modem for a laptop (although haven't done this yet as I'd like to get it working over bluetooth which is a minor thorn in my Linux goals at the moment).

Any laptop/notebook will have wireless built in, so you may be able to piggyback on open wireless networks that you come across too.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 12:30:33 pm by slack---line, Reason: removing extrenuous \'G\' »

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#3 Re: Internet on the move
April 30, 2009, 12:25:30 pm
Hi Chris.

The best quoted speeds are 7.2mb by Vodafone. The other networks have complained as they reckon the quickest possible is 3.6mb-ish. The thing with all these "mobile broadband" packages you get is they all rely on a network signal. They need a 3G signal to work well which is going to be virtually non-existent in remote areas. It will work on lower signal strength but will be painfully slow. I live in sunny West Cumbria and have an Orange dongle myself and it doesn't work well at all unless I go to a town.

Cost wise you can get them for under a tenner a month for 1Gb data allowance with 15GB available for £15 from the 3 network. I would avoid them though.

Hope that helps.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#4 Re: Internet on the move
April 30, 2009, 02:05:48 pm
Interesting comparison and article in today's Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/apr/30/broadband

SA Chris

• forum hero
#5 Re: Internet on the move
April 30, 2009, 02:21:37 pm

As for best option, it depends on what you want to do.  Most deals seem to be pro rata (i.e. you pay for the bandwidth you use), so if you can estimate that you won't be using more than say 1Gb a month, then there's no point paying for an "unlimited" contract (although these are a massive misnomer as they are subject to "fair usage" policies, yeah, well how about having a "fair description" policy you twats!).

Now this bit I am in the dark about. How do you  get an idea of how much you "use"? If I was just browsing forecast sites or using hotmail, for half an hour, how much usage is that?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#6 Re: Internet on the move
April 30, 2009, 02:28:12 pm
If I was just browsing forecast sites or using hotmail, for half an hour, how much usage is that?

You should be able to get an idea from your usage stats of you home broadband. On PlusNet I can log on to my account and see hourly/daily/monthly uploads and downloads. It will give you a ball park figure.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#8 Re: Internet on the move
April 30, 2009, 03:01:08 pm
The dongles we sell allow you to monitor how much data you use so you can keep an eye and stop if you get near your limit. There are pay as you go packages out there though so you might want to look at them.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#9 Re: Internet on the move
April 30, 2009, 03:20:29 pm
You should be able to get an idea from your usage stats of you home broadband. On PlusNet I can log on to my account and see hourly/daily/monthly uploads and downloads. It will give you a ball park figure.

We are with Eclipse, assume you can do similar?

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#10 Re: Internet on the move
April 30, 2009, 03:25:56 pm
As a rough guide, 1gb is roughly equivalant to 1.5 hours browsing a day based on a 30 day month. Obviously streaming stuff or using YouTube will eat a lot more. The most popular package we (orange shops) do is 3gb a month for £14.68ish on an 18 month contract. If you go to an Orange shop you can get the first 3 months free. Depending on what you do for a living or who you work for you may be able to get discount on your line rental as well. 

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#11 Re: Internet on the move
April 30, 2009, 04:36:47 pm

We are with Eclipse, assume you can do similar?

Looks like it, have a play with 'My Eclipse', see if they have a 'usage' area.
www.eclipse.net.uk

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#12 Re: Internet on the move
May 01, 2009, 08:23:25 am
Now this bit I am in the dark about. How do you  get an idea of how much you "use"? If I was just browsing forecast sites or using hotmail, for half an hour, how much usage is that?

Give NetMeter a shot (it is free and costs next to fuck all)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#13 Re: Internet on the move
May 02, 2009, 06:57:37 am
Give NetMeter a shot

It gives you totals for data up and down (and total of both) per day, week and month and can show your current up and down speeds on a little graph

tomtom

• forum hero
#14 Re: Internet on the move
May 04, 2009, 06:26:29 pm
I use my PC on the move quite a bit and have tried usb modems from 3, Tmobile and Vodafone. I sent the first two back within the 14 day cooling off period and now use the voda one... My ,mobile is on O2 - so I get a good idea of the reception there as well..

I found (*this was a year ago*) that the 3 and T mobile were crap - even when in good reception - but the voda one seemed consistently good.. in most places I tried it.

Other things to consider were, 3 blocked outlook connecting to my works server - so making it not much use at all (as only webmail then) and Tmobile kept dumping me down to the 3g then taking ages to get back onto the 3g+ (HSDPA) which really is much much faster.

I've used mobile data with much sucess - watched an entire champions league semi last year streaming from it (this is unusual - you need good reception for this) and I'm typing from it at the moment from the GF's house in Manchester. When it works its great - even down to 1 bar reception, but the more bars the better the transfer rate... Its NOT as good as fixed broadband - it can be, just not as consistent as it depends on how many people are using it so data rates can go up and down really rapidly.

If you use Skype then some of the networks block it.

If you're using it in a camper then I'd get a long USB extension lead (a powered one is better) and a small tuppaware box. Pop the modem you choose into the box, seal it up then you can pop it on the roof of the van - or in a tree/nearby high point etc.. if that gives you better reception.

If I were getting one again  - I would get a voda - but get the PAYG version..  (its only £40 inc £10 credit) I never use as much data as I have in my limit (3gb a month) even when footy match streaming! and I recon you could easily get by on 1gb a month.

One final tip/hint. I got really f*cked off by the proprietry software that comes with the modem - it auto loads. Thankfully I have managed to disable it, and now when the modem is in - if its flashing its little blue light (3g available..) I just  hit connect to from the start menu. No loading up another program, software updates blah blah blah...

Just my tuppence - if you want to know any more just ask  :)

T

PS Ironically - voda spat me off as I was hitting post!

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#15 Re: Internet on the move
May 05, 2009, 10:14:29 am
using a vodaphone dongle in portugal as I type (its free with the villa) it seems pretty good, not to much bother with dropping connection etc and up to about 35kbs download.
Can't really justify getting one for at home as I have unlimitied internet package with mobile phone but surfing on the phone isn't a patch on surfing on the laptop. I might look into using my phone as a wifi modem even tho its against the t&c's just for occasional browsing but have got better things to do like sun bath, play tennis, swim in the pool etc...  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal