UKBouldering.com

What is this vertical line on my image? (Read 10532 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
What is this vertical line on my image?
April 26, 2009, 06:30:57 pm

Just noticed this importing a pic into PS (over exposed to show line better) - any ideas? Several pics with this lens have the same artifact.

dave

most likely something to do with the sensor, i.e. a line of the cells is going funny or something. is the line always in the same place in the frame? does it happen at all shutter speeds or just some?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Yeah, the line is always in the same place - not sure about shutter speeds, not use the camera much recently. I guess I need to shoot some test shots to highlight the problem.

I've just had a look over some recent pics and unless i'm going mad it only seems to be affecting .raw images and not jpegs. It's more pronounced using a longer lens and darker images but it's still there on a raw image with a smaller lens. On jpegs I can't really see it but that might just be the pics i'm looking at.

Very odd. And a bit fucking annoying. I guess I can clone-stamp it out but that's not much of a solution. Also, way out of warranty now afiik.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Sounds oddly similar to Unc's problems with his HD vids  :-\

dave

if its in the same place all the time then chances are its something to do with the sensor i recon.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

You're probably right Dave - let me guess, a repair isn't economical for such an old cam?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
It looks like one of the laser beams from Halo

dave

You're probably right Dave - let me guess, a repair isn't economical for such an old cam?

well in know a second hand 10d would set you back 150-200 clams. I don't know how much repairs on sensors are, assuming thats what it is. maybe try and do some controlled consistent tests though first, just to make sure its not summert you can avoid/workaround etc.

cofe

• forum hero

not the same, but the autofocus packed in on my 20D last summer. i was looking at about 200 nuggets for a repair. so i bought a new camera.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
That's bad news. Interesting that its not there in jpegs though, could be a glitch in the demosaicing? Worth reinstalling the firmware?

Maybe try a few different RAW processors too.

Cofe, does it still count as an upgrade if its still a Canon?

cofe

• forum hero
i didn't say what camera i bought...

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Looks like a Prandtl–Glauert singularity formed by the sonic boom as those two Red Arrows hit Mach 1

I'll get my coat

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Sounds unlikely given that the only way a BAe Hawk can acheive supersonic speeds is in a prolonged dive?

dave

hence the line is vertical, seemingly stopping at the ground!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
There is NOTHING that The Red Arrows can't do; as every boy knows.

Obviously a third RA doing the necessary dive, as Dave suggests.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Yeah, very fucking funny ;)

After consultation on the dpreview forums, the verdict does indeed seem to be a fucked sensor. The problem is occurring on both jpeg/raw it's just much more noticeable on the raw file. Also worse on a longer lens but still there on a shorter one.

Awesome, I can really afford a new cam right now  :wank:

dave

Also worse on a longer lens but still there on a shorter one.

One thing still puzzles me......

If its any consolation you could probably get a second hand 300d (same sensor as 10d, and same firmware once cracked) for NOTHING if not FUCK ALL. Infact someone will probably pay you to take one away. Plus the 10d must be worth something to someone for parts, stick it on ebay.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Maybe Ben's 20D would be of interest?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

I've found a Photoshop plugin that does an amazing job of correcting the dodgy line

Akvis Retoucher

simes

• stalker
    • http://www.simes303.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index.htm
This may not be any use, but Ive just had a Canon camcorder CCD replaced free of charge at Plymcare in Plymouth. All it cost was the postage, and the camera was well past the warranty (6ish years old).

Plymcare:  01752 303555

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Hmmm. That's quite interesting - cheers for the info, I'll give them a call.

I have foolishly just obtained an EOS 450d via a "buy now, pay 12 months later" style deal, but if I can get it fixed, then I can sell the 10d to help pay for it.

clm

• forum hero
Is it chris cubitt standing sideways?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
This may not be any use, but Ive just had a Canon camcorder CCD replaced free of charge at Plymcare in Plymouth. All it cost was the postage, and the camera was well past the warranty (6ish years old).

Plymcare:  01752 303555
Just spoke to Plymcare - they only deal with camcorders but their service covers goodwill replacments by Canon that were provided on certain models of camera where the ccd was failing prematurely.

This mainly covers some camcorders and some ixus still cams, but the 10d isn't on the list. Was worth checking anyway though.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Somebody paid £75 for the 10d on ebay as spares/repair. Not bad at all.

cofe

• forum hero
that's interesting. was thinking about flogging my old 20D for the same purpose (it's bust).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal