UKBouldering.com

What you growing? (Read 12957 times)

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
What you growing?
April 21, 2009, 03:12:11 pm
Not sure if there is a thread on this already?

What you planting at the moment?

Just put in a load of different types of tomatoes. Few varieties of lettuce. Corriander. Strawberries. Raspberries. Spuds. Green Beans. Pics will follow once they have got under way!

What are you growing?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Re: What you growing?
April 21, 2009, 03:13:08 pm
What are you growing?

A goatee.  Been at it for a few months and it still looks like bum fluff.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Re: What you growing?
April 21, 2009, 03:13:35 pm

Just ordered some catnip seeds from ebay.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#3 Re: What you growing?
April 21, 2009, 03:22:04 pm

Just ordered some catnip seeds from ebay.
:lol:

A list of hopefuls
Courgettes
French beans
Garlic Chives
Basil
Tomatoes
Chillis

A list of "If these grow we'll be amazed".
Melon
Chinese lettuce
Chinese radishes
Kiwi fruit.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#4 Re: What you growing?
April 21, 2009, 03:22:49 pm
I usually get a good crop of Mint, but this year it's coming up very small and being eaten by something.  Annoying really as I've nearly run out of the stuff i froze last year.

bigd942

• addict
#5 Re: What you growing?
April 21, 2009, 03:25:43 pm
Maris Piper spuds - 3 bins of them, Rhubarb, 3 plum trees and a pear tree all looking good and just starting to flower, will be the first year in ages without honey though, five hives all hit with the varroa mite, sad loss so on the look for some new bees shortly, amazing creatures indeed.

Dom

Plattsy

• forum hero
#6 Re: What you growing?
April 21, 2009, 03:31:01 pm
Maris Piper spuds - 3 bins of them, Rhubarb, 3 plum trees and a pear tree all looking good and just starting to flower, will be the first year in ages without honey though, five hives all hit with the varroa mite, sad loss so on the look for some new bees shortly, amazing creatures indeed.

Dom
Definitely varroa and not nicotine based pesticides?

Dolly

• forum hero
#7 Re: What you growing?
April 21, 2009, 03:41:49 pm
Just put in a load of different types of tomatoes

Under glass I take it ?

Have so far got onions, garlic, broad beans, lettuce, rocket and spuds planted.

Will also do the photo thing as well

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#8 Re: What you growing?
April 21, 2009, 03:42:57 pm
Just put in a load of different types of tomatoes

Under glass I take it ?

Nice warm greenhouse!

chappers

• forum hero
#9 Re: What you growing?
April 21, 2009, 03:51:00 pm
i sorted out an allotment for some of the kids at my school...which i will eat most of the produce from...

corgettes, french beans, onions and potatoes at the moment building it up over the next year. i might fork out and get some strawberry plants for them as a treat.
need to find some money somewhere to buy a greenhouse.  :-\

got some herbs growing in my classroom too.

bigd942

• addict
#10 Re: What you growing?
April 21, 2009, 03:52:25 pm

Dom
Definitely varroa and not nicotine based pesticides?

yep, varroa, confirmed at the end of the summer last year, were just waiting for it to be honest. We live a few miles from Fairhead (N.Ireland) so we're quite isolated up here, put them up in among the heather during the summer normally and gutted one day when we went to check. Brought the last surviving hive down to my garden to see if it'd last over winter but they lasted a few weeks. Queen split and took the last of the brood with her so most likely just went off and died.

matthew

• menacing presence
#11 Re: What you growing?
April 21, 2009, 03:54:47 pm
Got some beetroot and some lovely butternut squash on the go. Also started so scotch bonnet plants off and looking forward to the produce.
Need to get the carrots in, and I'll hopefully get a potato bin going really soon. 

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#12 Re: What you growing?
April 21, 2009, 03:59:35 pm
Couple of nice fat weed plants to see me through the summer....... ;)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 Re: What you growing?
April 21, 2009, 04:10:34 pm

I fancy doing some chillies again - easy, plentiful and so many gorgeous varieties that you'll never find in the shops.

Weed? I'd never grow at home again (have dabbled on a very small scale a long time ago) but a guerilla grow would be nice :)

Dolly

• forum hero
#14 Re: What you growing?
April 21, 2009, 04:17:36 pm
but a guerilla grow would be nice

What's a guerilla grow ?

jakes

• regular
#15 Re: What you growing?
April 21, 2009, 04:18:27 pm
Haven't got a garden, so growing lots in containers (apparently its all the rage......not that i know  :-[ ). Anyway, since this is my frst year, I'll be sticking with potatoes in those patio bags, strawberrys in pots and carrots and peas in buckets with holes in the bottom!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#16 Re: What you growing?
April 21, 2009, 04:26:24 pm
Sausage.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#17 Re: What you growing?
April 21, 2009, 04:28:21 pm
What's a guerilla grow ?
Growing outside somewhere - a secluded wood for example. Needs a lot of planning I believe but can get good results even in rainy old blighty.

hairich

• obsessive maniac
#18 Re: What you growing?
April 21, 2009, 05:08:51 pm
we have turned all our borders into veg patches.now have these coming thro

everlasting spinach
beetroot
leeks
purple broccoli
radish

our first attempt.all seems well so far.does anyone have a tip for stopping slugs in an organic way.someone said a beer trap but i dont know how to make one

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Dolly

• forum hero
#20 Re: What you growing?
April 21, 2009, 05:40:33 pm
Beer traps are OK for small spaces, but as the article states harder to sort out for larger more open growing areas.
It might also be worth looking at gravel traps - I don't think they like sliding over sharp stones.
Also copper tape works but better on the outside of pots.
I'm sure someone can explain the science behind this. Something to do with electrical current generated or summat.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#21 Re: What you growing?
April 21, 2009, 06:17:38 pm
on the look for some new bees shortly, amazing creatures indeed.
Keeping bees!?  Coolest thing ever.  :thumbsup:

I am now tempted to try and grown cat nip but I'm not too sure mine need any encouragement to go more radge than they already are.

I can't grow anything, no garden and the cats have so far managed to kill off my indoor attempts at tomatoes, herbs, various lettuce and even their own bloody cat grass  ::)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#22 Re: What you growing?
April 21, 2009, 07:56:53 pm
our first attempt.all seems well so far.does anyone have a tip for stopping slugs in an organic way.someone said a beer trap but i dont know how to make one

One of the Gardener's World crew was on Woman's Hour (R4) this morning talking about lettuce growing (respekt my rock'n'roll listening habits'!).  She recommended spreading coffee grounds around your veg - supposedly it sends the slugs into jiggy dance of mucus overproduction.  Link to the programme and R4's "dig in" veg growing series:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/womanshour/03/2009_16_tue.shtml

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#23 Re: What you growing?
April 21, 2009, 10:45:53 pm
Got onions bulbs in (shoots starting to surface) and rasperries are going wild already - 3rd year so hopefully some decent fruit. Grew Lettuce, cherry toms and spring onions from seed but they dropped dead as soon as they were transplanted out. Strawberry plants are looking lively too. Hopefully get some good lettuce again, was rampant last year.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#24 Re: What you growing?
April 25, 2009, 01:29:12 pm
My onion sets appear to be doing quite well, probably need thining soon.  Strawberrys are going crazy and the raspberries are looking ok too.

Got some courgettes, beans and perpetual spinach in the beds too but they're taking their time since planting out.  Rocket and thyme are doing ok in pots although the former will be thinned later today.

Also got a about ten habannero chilli's, ten miscellaneous chilli's (hopefully firey bird-eye, but can't be sure as I didn't label the envelope) and some peppers doing well indoors in pots.  Just got to keep the damn green/white fly off of them (washing up liquid is okay, but I'm thinking of some friendly hose spiders to keep them under control too).

andy_e

• forum hero
#25 Re: What you growing?
April 25, 2009, 10:59:51 pm
I found a guerilla grow up in scotland once... hopefully they didn't notice a bud or two missing

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#26 Re: What you growing?
April 25, 2009, 11:48:57 pm
hmm, got some tomatoes on the go, also a row of carrots, radishes, spring onions, lettuce and peas.

Currently the toms are doing ok, but there are only 3 pea plants up, several carrots and one lettuce!  think most have been killed in the frost in late March...rubbish

Paul B

• forum hero
#27 Re: What you growing?
August 28, 2016, 07:45:52 pm
Sorry for the digging up of old posts (no pun intended).

The in-laws have rented a property in the short term whilst their new build is, well, built; it has a greenhouse, which Nat and I have taken over and we're both quite liking the ability to grow our own tomatoes etc. and potter (at it again).

Has anyone on UKB got a combined greenhouse/shed? I'm thinking timber construction rather than aluminium etc.

My current shed isn't in a great state (it leaks a bit and isn't on a slab so is a bit damp under foot), probably due to the fact it was re-roofed by Smitton when owned by the previous owner. I was thinking next year I might rip it out...

andy_e

• forum hero
#28 Re: What you growing?
August 28, 2016, 08:15:19 pm
These are the shit, although a bit pricey. http://m.tigersheds.com/garden-sheds/wooden/potting/

SA Chris

• forum hero
#29 Re: What you growing?
August 29, 2016, 08:52:04 am
They cost shedloads. Sorry Paul started it.

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#30 Re: What you growing?
August 29, 2016, 05:45:41 pm
I removed half of the roof timbers and most of one wall of our shed and replaced it with corrugated plastic to create a greenhouse/shed hybrid. Works well and very easily done.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#31 Re: What you growing?
August 29, 2016, 06:45:12 pm

I am now tempted to try and grown cat nip but I'm not too sure mine need any encouragement to go more radge than they already are.

Whatever you do don't plant it next to the thyme in your herb bed like I did, especially not if you're planning on using freshly cut herbs to make sauce for your Christmas Dinner.

Like I did.

Paul B

• forum hero
#32 Re: What you growing?
August 30, 2016, 12:43:27 pm
These are the shit, although a bit pricey. http://m.tigersheds.com/garden-sheds/wooden/potting/

That looks something like what I had in my head, cheers. Is it best to orientate the glazing S (it'd have to be NE I think)?

I removed half of the roof timbers and most of one wall of our shed and replaced it with corrugated plastic to create a greenhouse/shed hybrid. Works well and very easily done.

Tempting, but the floor is fairly rotten and the door would also need removing etc.

Durbs

• forum hero
#33 Re: What you growing?
August 30, 2016, 12:50:50 pm
Mostly (legal) herbs at the moment though also have some Trinidad Scorpions and Bhut Jolokia just coming into flower (very neglected this year) which produced a great crop last year, and the slightly more palatable Pinocchio's Nose Chillies - massive and a good level of heat.

Oh, and five 5-8 foot sunflowers too.

Proper veg next season.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#34 Re: What you growing?
August 30, 2016, 12:57:54 pm
What you growing?

old.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#35 Re: What you growing?
August 30, 2016, 01:11:49 pm
Came back from the bank holiday weekend to find that the two (that's right, TWO!) courgette plants had got busy living.
It's going to be a long slog to get through the glut but I'm man enough to try.

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
#36 Re: What you growing?
August 30, 2016, 01:21:08 pm
I built 4 raised beds in our garden last winter, so this year has seen the first crops. Had potatoes in one bed (Kestrels did well, but Swifts were disappointing - apparently should have planted more plants closer together for the Swifts), courgettes in another (they've done really well but are tailing off now) and runner beans in the third that are in full swing at the moment. I planted broccoli in the fourth, but that's not doing very well (young plants got dug up by a cat, caterpillars are munching the survivors) and have recently planted some spring cabbage in the bed the potatoes came out of. We've an apple tree that isn't having a good year (too dry? and has suffered insect attacks), and there's a plum tree in the garden that has shed all it's fruit: I didn't thin out the fruit earlier in the season (was unaware that this needed doing, until it was too late). I'm planning on taking out the plum tree as the garden isn't really big enough for one (it's a young tree planted by the previous owners and was swamped by a couple of bushes that I took out: it's since gone crazy and is taking over our small garden). Not being too zealous about the brambles has given us a nice blackberry crop - left some for the birds as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal