UKBouldering.com

Road Runner Cave N.Wales (Read 1647 times)

Greg C

• forum hero
Road Runner Cave N.Wales
October 22, 2003, 12:49:34 pm
I noticed on Monday that the Road Works have enclosed the Road runner cave in N.Wales and on asking the workmen they said it would be unlikley to open for climbing purposes for 6 months. Did anyone no about this if not it might be worth noting.

Cheers Greg

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#1 Road Runner Cave N.Wales
October 22, 2003, 01:10:31 pm
Greg, just wondering, what do you get out of your sites sponsorship by Madrock, hosting costs covered, free shoes? How did you arrange it?
Is it traffic volume based? Understand if you can't answer.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#2 Road Runner Cave N.Wales
October 22, 2003, 01:21:26 pm
Access to Roadrunner has always been slightly tricky. The police once stopped and challenged me about what I was doing. When I explained that I had no intention of climbing anyway near the road, they seemed satisfied and said begrudgingly that it was okay, but that they expressly did not want anybody driving around the cycle track or parking on it.
I told the copper that we always parked in the layby 200 metres back down towards the roundabout (Bangor direction). He seemed happy with this.
I know there is a lot of building work in the area at the moment (there has been off and on for years), but I doubt very much that anybody will be challenged if they visit putside of a normal working day. Weekends are probably okay as well.

Crossing the road in a low key manner is a problem when the road is busy, but if people use a bit of common sense I don't see a problem. Just make your passage quick and efficient. Don't sit on the wall and don't draw attention to yourself once in the cave.

Whatever you do, don't follow the access details in the Rockfax N Wales Limestone guide - this could lead to a formal banning of the crag.

Apologies if this sounds like a preaching session, its just that, whilst RR might suit everyone's taste, it does have some loyal followers who would hate to see it banned, or filled in.

Doylo

• forum hero
#3 Road Runner Cave N.Wales
October 22, 2003, 01:34:31 pm
I must admit i am one of the loyal followers and would be distraught if i couldn't go for six months!
Fingers crossed!

tom

#4 Road Runner Cave N.Wales
October 23, 2003, 06:01:45 pm
lucky escape then, we went to find the cave for the first time a couple of weeks ago using the rock fax limestone guide but couldn't park where it said due to the road works. how do you get from this layby to the cave?

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#5 Road Runner Cave N.Wales
October 23, 2003, 09:24:46 pm
From the lay-by you just walk down towards the tunnel and the cave is on the right about 50 metres before the tunnel entrance. It is all pretty obvious when you get there.

There are one or two problems around on the cycle track/ bolted crag, but the best (a steep traverse line at the far end) has been covered in wire cabling to (I presume) catch possible rockfall from the large crag above.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal