UKBouldering.com

Cleat screws? (Read 4013 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Cleat screws?
April 15, 2009, 10:08:21 am
Having got my new bike on Friday ( :thumbsup: ) I'm now enjoying getting used to riding with my feet clipped in to the pedals.

I came off yesterday trying to answer the phone and stop the bike at the same time, which was a bit poo, but it appears to be attributable not to my ineptness, but that one of the screws that holds the cleat in place having parted company from the shoe, so when I twisted my foot it just pivoted the shoe around the cleat which remained firmly in the clip.

Had a look on Wiggle (one Capmagno cleat screw set) and Chain Reaction (now't) but neither return exact hits for Shimano cleats.

Anyone with any knowledge know what sort of size thread is required?  Their Shimano shoes and I did have the box for the pedals, but threw it away and am at work so can't check the recycling bin.

Surely I can't be the first person to have lost a screw?  I don't want to fork out for a whole set of cleats when all I need is a screw.

Cheers

slack

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Cleat screws?
April 15, 2009, 10:22:45 am
We all need a screw every now and then. No idea of thread, best I can think of is to remove another one and take it into a proper hardware store (not a hardware multimarket).

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#2 Re: Cleat screws?
April 15, 2009, 10:27:51 am
I've got quite a few of these off old shoes and things that you are welcome to.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#3 Re: Cleat screws?
April 15, 2009, 10:55:06 am

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: Cleat screws?
April 15, 2009, 11:23:18 am
Excellent, tlr I may well take you up on that offer, thanks.

In the interim I may be able to grab an M5 8mm (thanks soapy) from the local hardware store (thanks Chris).

matthew

• menacing presence
#5 Re: Cleat screws?
April 15, 2009, 11:25:53 am
but that one of the screws that holds the cleat in place having parted company from the shoe, so when I twisted my foot it just pivoted the shoe around the cleat which remained firmly in the clip.

This happened to me once, thankfully it was as I pulled up outside my house and not on the really quite stupid multiple roundabouts on my way home. I would of been in trouble had I needed to unclip earlier.

I popped into a bike shop and they gave me a load of old bolts from their pot.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6 Re: Cleat screws?
April 15, 2009, 12:25:46 pm
Problem solved, just found said screw rolling around under my desk, quite how it got there is a mystery as I only noticed it wasn't there yesterday evening (as opposed to when I actually came off the bike, which at the time I thought was due to my ineptness and it hadn't occurred to me to check for hardware failure!!).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal