UKBouldering.com

Woody? Or no woody? (Read 4205 times)

dmitri

• player
Woody? Or no woody?
October 21, 2003, 05:36:27 pm
Rite heres the plan...(developed during another fun day working for Blacks the Outdoor Experts) does sarcasm work in writing??

Neway, I think i'm gonna build a sorta campus/woody/foot off board. But the space is quite small (bout 2metres across) & i was reckonin on just doin a steep overhanging bit at the top probably a metre deep & covering it in "jibs" & small/medium holds. & then sorta campusin & fingerbordin round it. Also perhaps bolt sum foot holds into the vertical wall. (this is in addition 2 the finger board above my door).

Wot u guys reckon? Go for it? or save the money & get woody membership @ the foundry/edge wen i move 2 sheffield next year a scumbag student??

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
#1 Woody? Or no woody?
October 21, 2003, 07:07:34 pm
Although woodies of all sorts are fuc*kin cool, and I have a rather large one myself (even if I do say so myself), I've found that I only ever really use it when it's raining.  Also, I barely use my campus board anymore either.

I've found the only things I need to get an effective work out are some small edges, a decent bar, and some concrete blocks.

I one arm dead hang the edges, do one armers and front levers on the bar, and do hand-stand press-ups on the concrete blocks (to get the full range of movement).

I'm not saying it's the best way, but it seems to work for me, and it takes up very little space which seems to be your priority.

dmitri

• player
#2 Woody? Or no woody?
October 21, 2003, 10:34:48 pm
For give the ignorance, front levers?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Woody? Or no woody?
October 21, 2003, 10:53:38 pm
Quote from: "dmitri"
For give the ignorance, front levers?

dmitri

• player
#4 Woody? Or no woody?
October 22, 2003, 10:24:05 am
Retro charm, but flippin eck!

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
#5 Woody? Or no woody?
October 22, 2003, 10:25:40 am
Don't be scared,

They aren't as hard as they look, and they do look good.

Great way of building up all those 'core' muscles.  Another good exercise is 'Flags' or something like that.  Where you hold yourself out to the side (got any photos Bubba?).  But it's tough to build decent equipment to do it off.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 Woody? Or no woody?
October 22, 2003, 10:38:04 am
Quote from: "T.H."
Don't be scared,

They aren't as hard as they look, and they do look good.

Don't believe him - they're desperate!!!

The dude in the above is the man like John Gill - got a photo of him doing a side-lever somewhere.

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
#7 Woody? Or no woody?
October 22, 2003, 10:42:20 am
"Don't believe him - they're desperate!!!"

No they're not, you just have to believe.

Anyway, stop scaring people and find me a picture......please :)

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#8 Woody? Or no woody?
October 22, 2003, 11:04:50 am
Quote from: "T.H."
stop scaring people and find me a picture......please :)

this what you're after??

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
#9 Woody? Or no woody?
October 22, 2003, 11:11:52 am
Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of.

Cheers, Stuey.

simone

• regular
#10 Woody? Or no woody?
October 22, 2003, 11:12:07 am
that is an awesome photo, where is it?

dave

#11 Woody? Or no woody?
October 22, 2003, 11:15:20 am
its dan "lets die doing roped jumps leaving a wife and kid behind" osman innit?

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
#12 Woody? Or no woody?
October 22, 2003, 11:29:17 am
It most certainly is.  It's from one of those rather lame 'no fear' posters.  (although if 'no fear' wants to sponsor me then they're really great and their t-shirts and posters aren't only bought by fat wannabies)

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#13 Woody? Or no woody?
October 22, 2003, 12:15:02 pm
Quote from: "dave"

or it could be dan "lets top ourselves to get away from the feds" osman depending which rumour you heard...

Is it me or do all the people who own no fear clothing come from south of Birmingham?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#14 Woody? Or no woody?
October 22, 2003, 12:17:40 pm
Quote from: "dave"

Give the poor guy a break, I'm sure he didn't do it on purpose!

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
#15 Woody? Or no woody?
October 22, 2003, 12:18:43 pm
I don't know Dobbin, I never go north of Birmingham.

But, I have noticed that they're always the ones who find out you're a climber and then insist on talking to you about their extreme experiences on Snowdon.  Talking of which check out -

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=60951

dave

#16 Woody? Or no woody?
October 22, 2003, 12:22:34 pm
Quote from: "Bubba"
Give the poor guy a break, I'm sure he didn't do it on purpose!

well i woulnd't be so sure, it was either on purpose or just bloody stupid!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#17 Woody? Or no woody?
October 22, 2003, 12:28:17 pm
Why so stupid? People do much more stupid things in the name of sport - check this little lot out for instance:

htttp://www.cavedivinggroup.org.uk

or

http://www.basejumping.co.uk/

Jumping off bridges with a rope is no worse than doing serious trad climbing on marginal gear....yeah, ok, I consider that stupid these days but you know what I mean....

dave

#18 Woody? Or no woody?
October 22, 2003, 12:34:33 pm
the following opinion was formed from info i've gleaned off the internet in the past...

aye, but condsider we went up there to take down a rope rig (as ordered by the feds after they arrested him adn jailed him for a while) for very big jumps that had been up there in the weather sunlight etc for weeks. instead of taking it down, he not only chose to jump on this rig, but also to jump from a take-off point for an even bigger jump which had not been tested (cos it would put more force through the system) and to do it on his own where there was no-one else for a second opinion. someone of his experience of this kind of things knew exactly what the risks were, adn how to minimise them, having done it for years taking every precaution to avoid killing himself. to me the above scenario doesn't sound like someone trying to work the odds in his favour.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#19 Woody? Or no woody?
October 22, 2003, 12:45:33 pm
We all get complacent until we have an accident. I used to think I was invincible on a motorbike until one day I flew over the back of a car and snapped a clavicle up into a Z shape.....

It's the "oh it'll be alright" attitude. I remember recently being in a cave where I've had my ropes a bit crossed up, jammed myself across the passage, unclipped and sorted it. Stupid stupid things that you should never do but just make that little exception for yourself. It's that one time it goes bad that you're toast.

I think it's hard to get the real story about Dan O's death too - there's been so much bull spouted about it it's hard to get the real story...

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#20 Woody? Or no woody?
October 23, 2003, 02:00:03 am
Quote from: "Bubba"
I think it's hard to get the real story about Dan O's death too - there's been so much bull spouted about it it's hard to get the real story...

i actually read a book about him called 'the fall of the phantom lord' or something (the misses picked it up on her travels)

was written by a mate of his and actually quite interesting - didn't focus too much on the bit where he dies though

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal