UKBouldering.com

Road Bike Suggestions (Read 24263 times)

saltbeef

• forum hero
#25 Re: Road Bike Suggestions
April 15, 2009, 10:47:29 pm
I've got a :-

Dolan Prefissio frame, ITM carbon/ alu bars
Ritchey adjustable stem
Carbon forks and seat post
Campag xenon 9 speed
Hand built wheels on Italian rims
Look pedals
If you want it for commuting then its got full 'guards on as well

for sale

what size is it?

Dolly

• forum hero
#26 Re: Road Bike Suggestions
April 16, 2009, 10:35:14 am
what size is it?

Its a 54cm. I've got 4 spacers on it and the seatpost at its fullest extension, but the truth is its just too small for me.

Paul B

• forum hero
#27 Re: Road Bike Suggestions
April 16, 2009, 09:33:28 pm
If you buy from James I'll kill you, slowly

ah... trouble is they're about a 100 quid cheaper than anywhere else on the Felt...

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#28 Re: Road Bike Suggestions
April 16, 2009, 10:24:52 pm
nice enough

..but look at what you could have for 170 squids more..

(50cm only)

Paul B

• forum hero
#29 Re: Road Bike Suggestions
April 16, 2009, 10:34:09 pm
..but look at what you could have for 170 squids more..

Ahhh... I started this thread to suppress the want syndrome!

Palomides

• forum abuser
#30 Re: Road Bike Suggestions
April 17, 2009, 09:03:05 am
Ahhh... I started this thread to suppress the want syndrome!

That was never going to happen - the problem with road bikes is that there are so many declinations of equipment level that there's always just a bit more money for the next step up.

Coupled to this is the extremely broad price range, which has the effect of warping your perception of what is a reasonable price. Spend too long reading bike mags and you suddenly find yourself thinking that xxxx€ is actually quite reasonable for a bike.

Before you know it, you'll be seriously considering something that costs more than my car, an weighs about as much as one of my legs (i.e. not much).

Stay strong, stick to your budget as much as possible and remember that these days a bike that's "good enough" will be pretty bloody good indeed.

... and whatever you buy, you'll still get burnt off by old guys on steel bikes wearing woollen shorts ...

webbo

• forum hero
#31 Re: Road Bike Suggestions
April 17, 2009, 09:12:33 am
yes palomides is right.my winter is better than bikes i've raced on.i've also barely been able to hang the wheel of guys on bikes i wouldn't have risked riding on to the local shops.but carbon fibre is soooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :great:

Paul B

• forum hero
#32 Re: Road Bike Suggestions
April 17, 2009, 03:13:25 pm
yes palomides is right.my winter is better than bikes i've raced on.i've also barely been able to hang the wheel of guys on bikes i wouldn't have risked riding on to the local shops.but carbon fibre is soooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :great:

AKA my Dad although he's always opted for the more embaressing lycra option!

fatkid2000

• junky
#33 Re: Road Bike Suggestions
April 17, 2009, 04:49:28 pm
Its like I need a Wilier Cento Uno with Super Record and Lightweight wheels - no honestly I do. Or I'd settle for a settle pair of tune hubbed hand-built wheels to bring the price down a fraction.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#34 Re: Road Bike Suggestions
April 17, 2009, 05:29:10 pm
i had a look at the cento uno the other day...  it does look even more amazing in the flesh.

the izoard is nice too.

but it's not the same.

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#35 Re: Road Bike Suggestions
April 17, 2009, 06:15:22 pm

ah... trouble is they're about a 100 quid cheaper than anywhere else on the Felt...

How about a few of us chip in a tenner each for you not to buy it from JE James?  :please:

Here's a very long thread on another forum just for people to complain about JE James.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/je-james-cycles

A few other shops on Google have the Felt at £600, but not in your size, might be worth seeing if they can get you one if you are sure of your size. Or as others have said second hand is a good option, that Felt weighs over 21lbs, which is quite a lot by road bike standards.

Paul B

• forum hero
#36 Re: Road Bike Suggestions
April 18, 2009, 09:57:56 pm
haha I'll try to avoid it if I can? Having said that, I went to both the Sheffield and Chesterfield shop and got nothing but excellent service and the attention of a member of staff for bloody ages at both shops.

Got sized up and it seems like I require a 52 in the felt and a 53 with Bianchi...

This:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bianchi/nirone-7-sora-2009-road-bike-ec016954

was thrown up as another alternative, 9 speed cassette instead of 8 on the felt... anybody got anything to say?

Spoke to another friend who found a bargain bike second hand but I really don't have a clue what to search for, if there's anything anybody has seen I'd really appreciate being pointed in the right direction!
Thanks.

fatkid2000

• junky
#37 Re: Road Bike Suggestions
April 19, 2009, 08:19:21 am
I had to visit JE James yesterday morning to buy some tyres and over heard they have a 3 week wait for repairs - 3 weeks & you'd probably find it needed more repairs when you get your bike back than when it went in.

I also visited la bicicletta and they are soon to start stocking Cervelo and Serotta.  :-\

BTW I didn't buy anything but some Tune hubbed wheels were tempting.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#38 Re: Road Bike Suggestions
April 19, 2009, 01:04:06 pm
I got a pair of new wheels on order from them. Mavic reflex tubular rims, Tune hubs, x-ray spokes, handbuilt. So on that note I will shortly be flogging my Ksyrium SL's (shimano free-hub) if anyone is in the market for a nice stiff, light pair of clinchers. Me - I'm going fully old-school with tubs again :thumbsup:

Mark Lloyd

• menacing presence
#39 Re: Road Bike Suggestions
April 20, 2009, 12:24:50 pm
I'm thinking of upgrading to some ksyrium elites so a secondhand pair of SL's might fit the bill
any more details ?

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#40 Re: Road Bike Suggestions
April 20, 2009, 01:15:58 pm
In silver, 2007 version so the pair weighs in at just over 1400 grams for the pair. Well looked after, never been crashed, and not done many wet miles. Still as true as the day they were bought, and they'll come with the Michelin ProRace 2 tyres on them aswell. I'll be flogging them as soon as my new wheels have arrived - this could take some time, but hopefully in the next few weeks. PM me if you're keen - I dunno how much they're worth, but I'll have a think!

bigd942

• addict
#41 Re: Road Bike Suggestions
April 20, 2009, 09:46:41 pm
not sure how your two different sizes, 52cm in the Felt and 53cm inthe Bianchi, your size should be from your inside leg so either the frames are measure differently ie one is centre-to-centre and the other centre to top, is only 1cm difference though so may be just different angles to get you the correct top tube length.

Sora is ok to start with, good thing with the cheaper Shimano these days is they're using more plastic/alloy which means it doesn't rust as easily, functionally its a good group. The rear hub of Shimano will hold 8, 9 and 10 speed blocks, possibly also 11 if/when they release it, its the width of the chain that changes and the spacing between cogs so the whell should be ok for upgrades. The rear mech should have enough range to cover a 9 speed block but if you 8 speed sti units, you may get skipping/chain suck  if you try and force it to run 9 speed. Lance etc won the tour on 8 speed (I think) so if it's good enough for him then you should be fine. One thing to make sure is get the width of your bars right, shop would advise, to narrow and thye'll feel awkward, I run 46cm but am 6'2".

Dom

chappers

• forum hero
#42 Re: Road Bike Suggestions
April 21, 2009, 04:03:21 pm
i would assume that the different sizes come from the angles of seat tube making the reach different along the top tube.

i really would avoid buying a "big name" bike. you could get a much higher spec for the money buying from someone like ribble who do not have a brand to support like trek etc...

Yossarian

• forum hero
#43 Re: Road Bike Suggestions
April 22, 2009, 11:58:03 am
I got a pair of new wheels on order from them. Mavic reflex tubular rims, Tune hubs, x-ray spokes, handbuilt. So on that note I will shortly be flogging my Ksyrium SL's (shimano free-hub) if anyone is in the market for a nice stiff, light pair of clinchers. Me - I'm going fully old-school with tubs again :thumbsup:

what prompted the change to tubs?

i do like my old rolf tub wheels, but i do worry what might happen if i got a puncture when i'm miles from home...

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#44 Re: Road Bike Suggestions
April 22, 2009, 08:16:30 pm
what prompted the change to tubs?

I ride tubs on my 'bling' wheels (a pair of Planet X pro carbon 50's) but there are a number of drawbacks with these. Briefly, they are 'cheap' carbon wheels, so they are not very well balanced, the hubs are poor, they are quite heavy compared to other carbon wheels and I have had a number of problems with them (bust spokes, etc, etc). Also, carbon rims don't brake as well as alloy rims. However, they are very quick on the flat and the fact that you have tubulars on them makes them even quicker. If you get a puncture, pop the valve core out, squirt in half a tube of Tufo tubular tyre sealant, pump it back up and off you go. I also like the extra safety feature that you can still ride your bike on a punctured tubular tyre, which gives you time to stop and fix it if you puncture at speed, unlike a high-speed puncture on a clincher tyre where you are more than likely going down...

What I really want is a lightweight pair of handbuilt wheels on german hubs and with a tubular rim. Solves all of my wheels requirements. Strong and stiff, will last for ever, the pair weigh less than almost any factory built alloy wheel, run on tubs so super quick and less chance of crashing if you get a flat on an alpine descent, metal braking surface so will stop way better than a carbon rim, easier to maintain than a carbon rim with concealed nipples if you need to true it or you break a spoke, and all for way less than half the price of an equivalent factory-made wheel.

Its sad but true that there are stacks of awesome factory built wheels out there providing you want to use clincher tyres. If you want to use tubs, there is very little on market unless you want expensive carbon, and I have issues with spending well over a grand on a pair of Zipp 303's when I could never, ever do them the justice they deserve. I am taking the 'stealth-punter' approach and going hand-built. Its the future.....

Yossarian

• forum hero
#45 Re: Road Bike Suggestions
April 22, 2009, 08:35:22 pm
ah ha!

that's interesting... esp re the tufo sealant.

i have the original wheels from my (vintage) colnago.  old ambrosio tub rims laced to record hubs.  on the basis of that, i think i'm going to start riding them again.

i would love a set of 303s or 404s though.  hmmm.

i agree though that hand built wheels are superb.  my harry rowlands have been going strong for ages...

Mark Lloyd

• menacing presence
#46 Re: Road Bike Suggestions
April 23, 2009, 01:15:36 pm
FYI The Uk Road Cycling website have been testing some tubeless tyres

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/uan/3492

they look like a bit of a halfway house ?

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#47 Re: Road Bike Suggestions
April 23, 2009, 07:38:15 pm
Tubeless are supposed to be good, and solve the weight and ride issues people have with clinchers. But, you can't ride them flat like you can with a tubular, and currently there is very little choice in tyres. Given that its early days for tubeless (whilst I'm sure they are very good...) I'm sticking to tried and tested tubs. Its all down to personal preference really.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#48 Re: Road Bike Suggestions
April 24, 2009, 08:15:28 am
...although this is an interesting diversion, has paulb made up his mind yet..?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#49 Re: Road Bike Suggestions
April 28, 2009, 10:18:34 am
After a 3 week Royal Mail saga, I've finally taken delivery of one of these beauties in mint nick for a bargainous amount from eBay...

2008 Trek 1.5 Triple  :great:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal