UKBouldering.com

new (Read 15108 times)

RockAngel

new
April 13, 2009, 01:56:54 am
hello all,
I seem to be taking up bouldering at the moment as all of my climbing buddies have dropped off the earth. I'm not horrible so I don't know why. I still want to be trying to be keeping fit and improving my skills. Anyway, some help on some things would be good.
1). I live in Cheshire (near Alderley edge) and was wondering where some good beginner problems are that aren't to far away? (have a car so can get to places).
2). What are the grades and what do they mean? Can they be compared to climbing grades?
3). What equipment do I need apart from rock shoes and chalk? I dont have a bouldering mat yet as they are quite expensive. 

I make good cakes.

RockAngel

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: new
April 13, 2009, 08:18:55 am
hello all,
I seem to be taking up bouldering at the moment as all of my climbing buddies have dropped off the earth. I'm not horrible so I don't know why. I still want to be trying to be keeping fit and improving my skills. Anyway, some help on some things would be good.
1). I live in Cheshire (near Alderley edge) and was wondering where some good beginner problems are that aren't to far away? (have a car so can get to places).

Not local, so don't have any local insight, but you're within an hours drive of the Peak District and a little further will get you to North Wales (Snowdonia/Llyn).  Check out the crag database at UKC for fairly comprehensive

2). What are the grades and what do they mean? Can they be compared to climbing grades?

Bouldering grades (as with route grades) give an indication of the overall difficulty of a problem.  Some will go on about V numbers, but true enlightenment comes from the Font grading system.  More info at the font of all disinformation.

3). What equipment do I need apart from rock shoes and chalk? I dont have a bouldering mat yet as they are quite expensive.  

Nothing really.  A pad can help even out uneven landings and make the act of falling less painful, but isn't essential (although you'll feel more secure when climbing above one.  A tootbrush (possibly on a stick) to brush dirt of holds can be handy too.

Perhaps one essential thing though is a small cloth or rag to clean your shoes when you are setting off ona problem as it will mean the holds stay cleaner, your feet won't slip and it won't trash the rock in the long term.

Having friends to go out with can be good too as you have a laugh, spot each other and generally rip the piss out of encourage each other.

Get out and have some fun and enjoy it.  Watch others climb and learn from their technique (or not!) and don't be afraid to talk to people, 99% of people are friendly.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#2 Re: new
April 13, 2009, 09:29:34 am
not a local, but...
welcome!
if you come to italy send me a pm and come with a good selection of home made cakes, i'll provide the rest, climbing wise.
ciao.

dave k

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: new
April 13, 2009, 01:04:46 pm
The Roaches has lots of bouldering- try the Spring Boulders for plenty of lower grade problems (although the ground can be a bit sodden)
Newstones is a lovely little venue that is mainly bouldering with generally decent landings and plenty of lower grade problems.

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#4 Re: new
April 13, 2009, 03:16:49 pm
i will second daves shout for the Newstones, its a crackin venue with some sweet lower grade problems.

JohnM

• junky
#5 Re: new
April 13, 2009, 07:29:45 pm
Your nearest crag with a selection of nice easy problems is probably Frodsham.  However the problems tend to be quite high so its good to go along with someone for spotting duties.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#6 Re: new
April 13, 2009, 11:57:24 pm
You're in luck. The new Cheshire Sandstone Guide is due for release soon  :)

Bouldering isn't as evil as a lot of dedicated trad climbers think. A healthy balance of the two is great fun.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#7 Re: new
April 14, 2009, 09:28:33 am
Rock Angel. You're not a million miles from a  lot of us who climb on Cheshire sandstone. Drop a pm here if you want to meet some time. I appreciate meeting strange men off internet forums isn't wise but I don't know how else to verify my/other identities.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#8 Re: new
April 14, 2009, 10:21:31 am
DON'T DO IT!!!! ;)

Monolith

• forum hero
#9 Re: new
April 14, 2009, 10:58:27 am
Rock Angel. It's very simple...

It's him

Or me

Collectively, the North West Lot

Or collectively, Jasper's lot

Barring a propensity for the latter, I'll see you at Frodsham.

Doylo

• forum hero
#10 Re: new
April 14, 2009, 11:47:04 am
Rock Angel meet Monolith:

andy_e

• forum hero
#11 Re: new
April 14, 2009, 11:49:04 am
 :lol:

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#12 Re: new
April 14, 2009, 11:59:23 am
I would say this bore a closer resemblance to the infamous mr monolith:

Doylo

• forum hero
#13 Re: new
April 14, 2009, 12:00:56 pm
no thats my dad, cheeky bugger

Mr Cat

• menacing presence
    • Flickr
#14 Re: new
April 14, 2009, 02:20:06 pm
no thats my dad, cheeky bugger

hello son - it's been a long time since we've spoke... :)

Monolith

• forum hero
#15 Re: new
April 14, 2009, 02:46:47 pm
Rock Angel, meet Doylo

and meet Richie Crouch

So many crags so near to you, so many hunks!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#16 Re: new
April 14, 2009, 02:55:58 pm
The Sean Bean comparison's starting to look ok........

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#17 Re: new
April 14, 2009, 03:20:13 pm

nicci

#18 Re: new
April 14, 2009, 04:46:34 pm
RockAngel, I'm based in the NW (part time anyway) and have been dragged into the world of bouldering! Also like to think I'm a little less intimidating than these strange guys!
I have a car also send me a message if you wanna get out any time, I tend to try and avoid grit/sandstone is possible though!

RockAngel

#19 Re: new
April 14, 2009, 09:14:16 pm
I've just spat a mouthful of tea all over my keyboard and screen!!!

RockAngel

#20 Re: new
April 14, 2009, 09:22:40 pm
Dave K and krank: where is spring boulders and Newstones? either a grid ref or link to somewhere would be useful.
How do you send someone a message on here?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#21 Re: new
April 14, 2009, 09:26:27 pm
They're both within the vicinity of the Roaches (or at least Newstones is) which is on the road between Buxton and Leek in the Peak.

Check out this link for crag info but for gods sake steer clear of the forums!
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/map/

RockAngel

#22 Re: new
April 14, 2009, 09:34:53 pm
Thanks Will,
its too late about the forums on UKC. :guilty:
RockAngel

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#23 Re: new
April 14, 2009, 10:05:17 pm
Take no notice of these nutters RA. There's a lot of quality bouldering to be had and the North West/Liverpool scene is booming at the moment. You're well placed for Frodsham, Helsby and Pex Hill. North Wales is practically on your doorstep and, as already mentioned, you're not too far from most Peak venues. In fact you're spoilt for choice (as are all NW based climbers) in that Yorkshire, Lake District, Lancashire, Peak and Yorkshire are all pretty much the same distance away so that whatever the weather, you can nearly always get out! Feel free to contact myself for more info. I can also recommend JohnM as a reliable man for info. As for Richie Crouch and Monolith, my advice would be to stay well away  ;)

As for contacting people, a Personal Message can be sent by finding the person you wish to message in the members section, clicking on their name and then using the "Send this person a personal message" option.

Good luck!

a dense loner

• forum hero
#24 Re: new
April 14, 2009, 10:23:50 pm
i bet monoliths pulse is going through the roof now

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal