UKBouldering.com

Chapel Stile Boulders (Read 7961 times)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Chapel Stile Boulders
April 12, 2009, 07:27:36 pm
Anyone know the truth on Ly'al Fella's Wall?

I went to Chapel Stile today as I was passing, mainly to do Snatching the Rough.  I also did Ly'al Fella's Wall as described by CockFax, but I'm not sure I did it correctly as it's supposed to be font 7a and it felt easy (so easy I flashed it).

CockFax says:
Using an undercut on the left and on the right, make desperate moves to gain a shot hole and the top

Now, there's a tiny left hand undercut.  The only ones for the right are huge.  I pulled on with right hand in big undercut, boosted feet high, got high LH crimp then again to shot hole.pocket.  It felt about font 6b, so I wondered if the big undercut is out?  Couldn't see a 7a way of doing it without either.

So either I did it wrong and it's a dumb eliminate, or I've become a beast.  Yeah, right  :-\

Any clues people?  [video may be available later for critique]

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#1 Re: Chapel Stile Boulders
April 12, 2009, 08:49:16 pm
Your obviously a beast mate. You shouldn't doubt yourself!!

What was the general state of this place? Have always fancied a visit. Where were you headed, north or southbound?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#2 Re: Chapel Stile Boulders
April 12, 2009, 09:03:11 pm
Lots of scattered stuff on clean rock, good lower grade stuff it seems (didn't do much today).  Be worthwhile in combo with the Langdale boulders.
We were going to a National Trust Egg Hunt with the Blobs, so I use my charm  :-\ and wangled a slight detour.

If you're in the area it's worthwhile, especially Snatching the Rough which is class (and suited me down to the ground- crimps, slap).

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#3 Re: Chapel Stile Boulders
April 12, 2009, 09:10:30 pm
Sounds good, I may pay a visit soon if I can drag myself away from Mungers.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#4 Re: Chapel Stile Boulders
April 12, 2009, 11:23:12 pm
Video now up.  Did I do that properly?

thekettle

• menacing presence
    • johnkettle.com
#5 Re: Chapel Stile Boulders
April 14, 2009, 08:39:36 pm
I''ve also been mystified by this Ly'al fellas problem. I found it improbably straghtforward, and as a bona fide Ly'al fella (5'4) was expecting to be filled with lanky-bastard knee-biting failure rage after a few attempts.
Golt, I've been round the whole circuit and its a good low escapade on clean rock, with Snatching the Rough, and Feeling Rough next to it being the highlight. The hardest bit is navigating between all the areas and removing/fitting your rock boots 30 times.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#6 Re: Chapel Stile Boulders
April 14, 2009, 08:49:22 pm
So are you saying you don't know either?  Does that look right in the vid- is that what you did?  I'm confused.

I had one go at Feeling Rough and it was good.  Get down there Golt, crush everything then go to Langdale.

thekettle

• menacing presence
    • johnkettle.com
#7 Re: Chapel Stile Boulders
April 14, 2009, 09:04:12 pm
So are you saying you don't know either? 
Yes
 Does that look right in the vid- is that what you did?  I'm confused.
Yes i think but it was 2 years ago, it felt to me like lots of large holds were very much in reach, so I guess it may be super eliminate, or have lost a tiny RH undercut from the start shortly after is was documented :shrug:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#8 Re: Chapel Stile Boulders
April 14, 2009, 09:14:41 pm
There's a small undercut on the right, but it's a continuation of that big one.
I e-mailed Greg to see if he knows the truth.

It'd be a bit of a shit eliminate if you ignore those holds though.   :shrug:

Danger

• player
#9 Re: Chapel Stile Boulders
May 08, 2009, 01:03:22 pm
I am staying in Chapel Stile next week and may be able to sneak out for a few quick sessions to the boulders. Is it worthwhile heading up there without a topo/guidebook or will I be wandering about not being able to see the wood for the trees.

Or do you think my time would be better spent heading to The Langdale Boulders

Does anyone have a topo for the Chapel Stile Boulders?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#10 Re: Chapel Stile Boulders
May 08, 2009, 01:10:02 pm
The three hardest problems are Snatching the Rough, the mysterious Lyal Fella's Wall and Feeling rough (obvious line right of Snatching).  You should recognise them from the video above.
The other stuff is easier so you could bum around and pick off lines you like the look of.  The only topo I know of is in the RockFax, you could print stuff off from the site.
Easily combined with Langdale though, even if just to do Snatching the Rough.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#11 Re: Chapel Stile Boulders
May 08, 2009, 06:12:13 pm
Danger, you should have a PM.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#12 Re: Chapel Stile Boulders
May 30, 2009, 07:17:12 am
Went back yesterday in scorching temps for a bit of A2 rehab.
Sorry for using V grades, I just copied them out of the guide- I would have used font grades but I think my grading will be well out at the moment.

stonemonkey

• regular
#13 Re: Chapel Stile Boulders
June 09, 2009, 09:54:58 pm
I am staying in Chapel Stile next week and may be able to sneak out for a few quick sessions to the boulders. Is it worthwhile heading up there without a topo/guidebook or will I be wandering about not being able to see the wood for the trees.

Or do you think my time would be better spent heading to The Langdale Boulders

Does anyone have a topo for the Chapel Stile Boulders?

Langdale boulders is the best bet, theres loads there to do on very few pieces of rock. I'd suggest the mental mantel, pocket problem, V6 traverse on the top boulder and the undercut problem on the top boulder.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal