UKBouldering.com

New wall in Cambridge?? Any news?? (Read 2269 times)

bryan

New wall in Cambridge?? Any news??
March 11, 2009, 09:20:54 pm
Hi,

heard there might be a new climbing gym opening up in Cambridge.  Any1 got any news or ideas on this??

cheers
B

tomrix

• regular
#1 Re: New wall in Cambridge?? Any news??
March 12, 2009, 08:09:42 am
There has been plenty of talk but no action! check out http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=326538. I emailed the guy but had no response and that was three months ago. It appears as if all feasibility studies have concluded that suitable buildings are few and far between, and any that can be found are just too expensive!

I guess you have been to the Kelsey Kerridge? Not great but serves a purpose i suppose! I think the best option if you have the room is to build a small woodie in your garage/cellar, that's what i've done!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2 Re: New wall in Cambridge?? Any news??
March 12, 2009, 09:09:02 am
You might both be interested in the Board Share Directory then.  :)

tomrix

• regular

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: New wall in Cambridge?? Any news??
March 12, 2009, 09:35:21 am
Board Share Directory then.  :)

Where be this?

Click on the link, read the thread, links are the back-bone and beauty of t'internet ;)

It takes you to a thread where like minded souls who have home woodies can post details of their set-up and others local to or visiting an area can ask to come round for a session.  Thus you might want to consider posting details of your woodie there and perhaps even invite bryan round for a session.  Training partners can boost the PSYK!!

Its vital that you include details of the "vibe" of your woodie though, oltherwise no one will take you seriously.  :P

Plattsy

• forum hero
#5 Re: New wall in Cambridge?? Any news??
March 12, 2009, 09:44:23 am
I get a strange sense of deja vue when I click that link.  :P

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#6 Re: New wall in Cambridge?? Any news??
March 12, 2009, 10:01:51 am
http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,7530.0.html

Click on the link, read the thread, links are the back-bone and beauty of t'internet ;)

The irony slackers, the irony.  :lol:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#7 Re: New wall in Cambridge?? Any news??
March 12, 2009, 10:05:17 am
Must be having a Micheal Palin day (i.e. going round in circles).

Sorry tomrix, I did of course mean to link to the page Jasper has provided for the Board Share Directory

Now I'm off to flog myself for making such an elementary mistake  :spank:

tomrix

• regular
#8 Re: New wall in Cambridge?? Any news??
March 12, 2009, 10:27:42 am
No worries! Thought i was going mad!!!!  ;D

Ena

• addict
    • cadreweb
#9 Re: New wall in Cambridge?? Any news??
March 14, 2009, 11:22:04 am
Dan Durrant was looking into a commercial wall (as per UKC thing) but I'm sure it isn't happening. I bumped into him last week at a work event and he said nowt. I'll email him to check.

Anyway, Harlow has a new lead wall, and Stowmarket has been seriously improved with a dedicated bouldering room, so reducing the commercial viability of Dan's aim even further. But Keith the manager at KK is mad keen to rebuild the KK facility into a good modern bouldering room. I did offer to help him but have been too busy. I'll get onto it this week and let folk know.

Keep the faith and when at the KK learn to love the polish. Don't think of it as a wall, see it as a crap local crag you try to get the best from. And build a board.

Ena

• addict
    • cadreweb
#10 Re: New wall in Cambridge?? Any news??
April 02, 2009, 10:46:41 am
Quick update for folk, not heard from Dan, but there is indeed a new wall opening at CRC in Kings Hedges.

A press release was issued in February, and I've spoken to the sports centre reception today. The building works are not finished, and it will probably open to staff and students in the next two months. It should be open to the public sometime after that. The bloke I spoke to was a bit unclear about the type of wall, other than it was 'big' and would probably need ropes! If I hear any more I'll post something, otherwise look out for something on their website. If anyone knows who built it or has any gen let me know!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal