UKBouldering.com

Summit Series Road Trip (Read 31345 times)

Stubbs

#50 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 12:41:42 pm
Getting published in the mags is mainly down to fostering a relationship with a decent photographer. Crap photos = little page space.

agree, and obviously delivering the goods on hard routes/problems
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 12:47:24 pm by Stubbs »

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#51 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 02:00:41 pm
You mean the news pages. There are climbers out there who are regularly in the mags, and getting free gear for their troubles, without ever going near anything newsworthy.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#52 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 02:47:13 pm

I've always thought that certain brands get ridiculously good exposure for what they pay certain individuals, compared to what they pay the rags for print advertising.

Which brands? Paying how much? to whom?

Ridiculously good exposure? You mean a photo in a magazine with a monthly circulation of about 5000 people who are really anal about every bit of gear/ clothing and know exactly what they are going to buy so aren't influenced by ads anyway, who then try to take a gore-tex back after ten years because its seams have gone?

Wow that is good.

Very small markets, high R&D costs, loads and loads of ultimately undercard climbers who want free boots and fleeces plus the odd Angry young man who thinks its their divine right for someone to pay them to train.

Climbing is a hobby.

A very few people who have the right combination of talent/ looks/ media savvy/ motivation manage to scrape a living and all they get is resentment from their peers for selling out.

With advertising/ sponsorship, you get what you pay for, hence why no one in britain gets paid owt. No return.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#53 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 02:53:31 pm
Arthur's Dad might have a point..............

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#54 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 04:00:02 pm
He's just bitter, and so would you be if you'd been a starry eyed youth, training obsessively in the hope Scarpa might just be the ticket out of Rotherham you so sorely need. Next thing you're junior champion, this must be it, you've made it, bye bye Rotherham!
And then nothing.

Berghaus and NF are huge global brands with marketing budgets to match. But magazine covers are adverts money can't buy. Well not directly.

T_B

• forum hero
#55 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 04:06:01 pm

Climbing is a hobby.

It may be for you and I, but there are a few folk flogging gore tex who've made a lot of money from it. I think in the UK there's a culture of climbers thinking someone's doing them a favour throwing a pair of boots their way. Bit naive really when $$ is spent on advertising. As Adam says, a front cover is just an advert but it doesn't cost the brand anything.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#56 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 04:10:47 pm
I'm not sure if there was joke there that's flown over my ead but I was actually thinking of Lucinda Hughes\Whittaker.

for the record lu was dumped from a great height at xmas

Stubbs

#57 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 04:13:22 pm
As Adam says, a front cover is just an advert but it doesn't cost the brand anything.

Unless the brand has a deal with the photographer and the photo subject is covered in their logos.....

T_B

• forum hero
#58 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 04:16:28 pm

Unless the brand has a deal with the photographer and the photo subject is covered in their logos.....

I estimate the coverage given to JP's WOL in Climb was worth about £10K (advertising equivalent). Maybe TNF paid Simmo something like that?

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#59 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 04:51:48 pm

As Adam says, a front cover is just an advert but it doesn't cost the brand anything.

I estimate the coverage given to JP's WOL in Climb was worth about £10K (advertising equivalent). Maybe TNF paid Simmo something like that?

Contradicted yourself. Dave and James DO cost TNF.

Anyway its quibbling, there are always examples of this lucky undeserving guy or this pious talented tiny tim.

chummer

• forum abuser
#60 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 06:12:30 pm
There are climbers out there who are regularly in the mags, and getting free gear for their troubles, without ever going near anything newsworthy.
Really? I can't think of any, it seems to me some of the most talented and productive folk I know only just get a bit of gear from time to time themselves.  :shrug:
Examples please Mr Brown..

With regard to this road trip, the amount spent on it could have probably funded quite a few 'on the cheap' style trips away, or one long one, for quite a few strong youths, resulting in some world class ticks. But then that probably wouldn't fit in with the T.N.F advertising image for this trip: to deliver "expert performance from the world’s best athletes on famous rock routes throughout Europe and ‘approach’ days bringing climbing into the local communities."

The truth is of course that quite a few strong youths simply save up and train like fuck then fund their own extended trips doing big ticks without any real fuss or obligations to sponsors. 

emily

#61 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 06:23:46 pm
"The North Face extends an open invitation to be a part of the journey.  Seize the challenge and join James and his companions at some point along the Summit Series Road Trip; it will be an experience to never forget."

Unfortunately only a few took them up on the offer. Those few had a brilliant time.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#62 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 08:12:35 pm
Seems like quiet a bit of bitterness out there.
Good luck to them and bravo for getting paid for what you enjoy doing.
Maybe I'm biased cos I'm mates with them but I enjoyed reading the blog and they have deserved this trip as they have worked hard to keep their sponsership and it sounds like they have worked hard on the trip.
Leo did really well with berghaus, are there people bitter about his adverts in the cinema's and billboards etc...

LOL at adams comment about char
ROFLCOPTER etc...........red-knobs.com

It also might come as a shock to some people but (nearly) all companies only exist to make money

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#63 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 10:09:17 pm
well just got back from the weekend in mello with the boys, great end of trip party, never seen keith and james so drunk, and gaz for that matter, you boys are in for a treat when you see the footage keith has,

they have already extended the trip for another week

:beer2:

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#64 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 10:45:45 pm
you boys are in for a treat when you see the footage keith has,
No more gratuitous lycra shots for the ladies then?  :(

Oli

• obsessive maniac
#65 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 10:54:01 pm

You never know Magpie, there may be a romantic scene in a meadow, just for you. ;)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#66 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 11:21:40 pm
 :yawn: :yawn:

All together now..

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#67 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 13, 2009, 09:37:52 am

You never know Magpie, there may be a romantic scene in a meadow, just for you. ;)

you wait, a good scene of daniel woods in the meadow, all done to take that, its all getting a bit gay in the bus

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#68 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 13, 2009, 10:08:25 am
 8)

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#69 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 17, 2009, 01:29:24 pm
here you go some footage of the boys in the meadow, you have to lots of volume for this is classic

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#70 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 17, 2009, 07:34:33 pm
fo a full run down and a better quality vid check this

http://thenorthfaceeu.typepad.com/summitseriesroadtrip/2009/05/take-this.html

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#71 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 18, 2009, 09:31:04 am
That fair brightened my Monday morning.  :lol:  They seem very familiar with the words and timing and the special Never Forget clap action, either they did an awful lot of research or...  :whistle: 

Good effort boys.  :thumbsup:

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#72 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 18, 2009, 04:55:05 pm
i think its more the  :whistle:  :-\

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#73 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 18, 2009, 05:11:11 pm
Jesus Christ! That was both gruelling and worryingly well done.

I bet young 'Pie was fair wringing out her knickers this morning  ???

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#74 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 18, 2009, 05:23:29 pm
I bet young 'Pie was fair wringing out her knickers this morning  ???

:o

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal