UKBouldering.com

Summit Series Road Trip (Read 31334 times)

Gareth Parry

• regular
    • http://www.boulderuk.com
#25 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
April 29, 2009, 02:49:54 pm
New and totally serious video from Unclesomebody on the blog
http://thenorthfaceeu.typepad.com/summitseriesroadtrip/

Also on a totally serious note yesterday we saw Scott OS an 8c+ at Dolni Zleb in the Czech Republic, bolting as he went....ground up.  :jaw:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#26 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 04, 2009, 01:52:49 pm
The blog is a really good read and the filming is to Keith's usual high standard. Good work. Especially for wearing truly grotesque lycra in a World Cup comp (and coming last).

:bow:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#27 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 11, 2009, 10:12:04 pm
Fiend says:

Fiend says:
LOL have you read that??

Fiend says:
there's one bit where it all goes a bit WTF??

Fiend says:
i'm not sure their sponsors would approve

Magpie says:
i will read it now

Magpie says:
blog: Gaz and I went for a walk and picked some flowers, then laying each other down on the soft grass, only to pound each other deeper than any other man had taken us. It was a beautiful moment and without doubt the crescendo of this trip, with my shrieks being heard throughout the valley.
LOL

Fiend says:
i can see north face are going to sell more down jackets now

Magpie says:
what are they talking about?

Magpie says:
not actually bumming, but what?

Magpie says:
were they giving each other massages?

Fiend says:
they are just taking the piss

Magpie says:
yeah but you can't hint at gay sex on a sponsors blog surely

Magpie says:
not when the whole point is to promote climbing to the youths

Magpie says:
LOL

Fiend says:
well that's what i wondered...

Magpie says:
although, i think the idea of gaz and james bumming is kinda hot....

Fiend says:
OI

Magpie says:
i'd rather keith was involved though 

Fiend says:
PIE!!

Fiend says:
right

Fiend says:
that's so getting posted on UKB

Fiend says:
right now

Magpie says:
dont you dare!!!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 10:20:05 pm by Fiend, Reason: re-edited as there\'s obviously no dignity left »

Duma

• forum hero
#28 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 11, 2009, 10:17:06 pm
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oli

• obsessive maniac
#29 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 11, 2009, 10:18:33 pm
Fiend says:

Fiend says:
LOL have you read that??

Fiend says:
there's one bit where it all goes a bit WTF??

Fiend says:
i'm not sure their sponsors would approve

Magpie says:
i will read it now

Magpie says:
blog: Gaz and I went for a walk and picked some flowers, then laying each other down on the soft grass, only to pound each other deeper than any other man had taken us. It was a beautiful moment and without doubt the crescendo of this trip, with my shrieks being heard throughout the valley.
LOL

Fiend says:
i can see north face are going to sell more down jackets now

Magpie says:
what are they talking about?

Magpie says:
not actually bumming, but what?

Magpie says:
were they giving each other massages?

Fiend says:
they are just taking the piss

Magpie says:
yeah but you can't hint at gay sex on a sponsors blog surely

Magpie says:
not when the whole point is to promote climbing to the youths

Magpie says:
LOL

Fiend says:
well that's what i wondered...

Magpie says:
although, i think the idea of gaz and james bumming is kinda hot....

Fiend says:
OI

Magpie says:
i'd rather keith was involved though  

Fiend says:
PIE!!

Fiend says:
right

Fiend says:
that's so getting posted on UKB

Fiend says:
right now

Magpie says:
dont you dare!!!

Hilarious!

Quoted incase she persuades you to delete it...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 10:44:22 pm by Oli, Reason: Double quoting »

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#30 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 11, 2009, 10:19:05 pm
I hate you all.

Oli

• obsessive maniac
#31 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 11, 2009, 10:19:43 pm
I knew it was worth quoting... Irrelevant now Fiend's reinstated his post.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 10:45:49 pm by Oli »

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#32 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 11, 2009, 10:31:29 pm
S'OK Magpie, a lot of girls like the thought of chocolate fingers.   :-\

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#33 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 11, 2009, 11:52:25 pm
Don't worry about revenge, Magpie.
After that betrayal of trust, I'm going to give it it to Fiend whether he wants it or not (TRAD STYLE)  :shag:

andy popp

• forum hero
#34 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 07:53:14 am
Am I the only one to think this trip has been one of the biggest piles of bullshit they've ever come across in climbing?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#35 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 08:44:12 am
Am I the only one to think this trip has been one of the biggest piles of bullshit they've ever come across in climbing?

No, other recently referred to young lads still beat it.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#36 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 09:01:54 am
After that betrayal of trust, I'm going to give it it to Fiend whether he wants it or not (TRAD STYLE)  :shag:
Thank you Lagers, I'm going to give your comment the respect it deserves and not make a crass comment about being allowed to watch.   :ang:

Depends how you look at it?  It's basically just a big publicity stunt for TNF isn't it?  But it looked like really good fun for those involved and highlighted some fairly cool places to climb and has been, on the whole, quite entertaining to read about.  Whether it's been of any great use to 'the local climbing community' or introduced lots of new young people to climbing is another matter.  Looked like a good laugh though.  :thumbsup:

account_inactive

• forum hero
#37 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 09:07:53 am

I think it's great that they can take a light hearted laugh at themselves and our sport whilst still crushing plenty of routes.  I'd rather this than people with tans and sunglasses being all extreme without a hint of irony

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#38 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 09:11:26 am
As Chris says at least they did some climbing. ;)

As I don't buy "outdoor clothing" it doesn't really bother me that this is a publicity stunt to flog more TNF jackets. I've found the blog entertaining to read, that's about it really. Oh and they were right about that club Moog in Barcelona, it fucking rocks.

Stubbs

#39 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 09:19:55 am
It definitely sounded more like a job than a climbing trip. Any trip with more driving than climbing can't be that fun, no matter how many lycra outfits and dubious 'jokes' you throw in...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#40 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 09:23:22 am
As publicity stunts go it seems a decent one. I'm not sure about the general trend in climbing sponsorship towards the promotion of the selected few though. As I understand it, TNF 'restructured' their team of sponsored climbers in order to finance trips like this. As in... all the other climbers are no longer sponsored. If true, that context is important.

In an ideal world I'd like to see the majority of 'sponsorship' going to help young talent. However I understand there are difficulties with this. Its rather more difficult to pick who is going to be the next big thing than just bidding highest for the guy who's already made it. Plus you might get pick the right climbers (eg Caff, Ryan) only to find they aren't interested in playing the publicity game.

So in principle I'm not keen on climbing embracing celebrity culture, but as soon as companies get big enough that accountants start wanting to see a value derived from sponsorship its maybe unavoidable. Be nice to think a big company could find the cash for both though.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#41 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 10:11:29 am
Aye, I pretty much agree with all the recent posts, apart from the Lagerstarfish Chocolatestarfish threat...

The blog has been entertaining, and I'm even more syked for .CZ now.

Duma

• forum hero
#42 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 10:18:16 am
As I understand it, TNF 'restructured' their team of sponsored climbers in order to finance trips like this. As in... all the other climbers are no longer sponsored. If true, that context is important.

If that's true, it's shit. The blog was occaisionaly slightly funny, but dump the rest of your team so two of them can blast around europe? Bollocks.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#43 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 10:56:28 am
The thing about the rest of the UK TNF team being dumped may be shitty, if true,  but I can only think of one other UK rock climber sponsored by TNF apart from James. So from the company's point of view it makes sense to throw all their money JP as he has consistently delivered for them. It strikes me that a lot of climbers want their sponsorship without any return. I look at the Scarpa team blogs and, whilst there seems to have been a lot more activity on them recently, there have been times when there has been nothing for months.

T_B

• forum hero
#44 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 11:38:12 am
From what I've heard some companies have drastically cut $$ to sponsored climbers 'in the current climate', so perhaps that's why they can't be ar*ed writing their blogs? If you're yearly sponsor pay has been cut by two thirds you might not think it's worth the effort? The sponsor is still getting exposure if you're wearing their boots, doing new stuff and getting photos published. I've always thought that certain brands get ridiculously good exposure for what they pay certain individuals, compared to what the brands pay for print advertising.

T_B

• forum hero
#45 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 11:38:52 am

From what I've heard some companies have drastically cut $$ to sponsored climbers 'in the current climate', so perhaps that's why they can't be ar*ed writing their blogs? If you're yearly sponsor pay has been cut by two thirds you might not think it's worth the effort? The sponsor is still getting exposure if you're wearing their boots, doing new stuff and getting photos published. I've always thought that certain brands get ridiculously good exposure for what they pay certain individuals, compared to what they pay the rags for print advertising.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#46 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 11:51:41 am

The sponsor is still getting exposure if you're wearing their boots, doing new stuff and getting photos published. I've always thought that certain brands get ridiculously good exposure for what they pay certain individuals, compared to what they pay the rags for print advertising.

That's a fair point but the people I was referring to on the Scarpa blog aren't the ones out there getting their photos in the mags. Dave Birkett isn't a prolific blogger but you couldn't argue that he's not worth his sponsoring over the years. I'd say that there are probably less than a dozen or less rock climbers in the UK worth sponsoring from a publicity point of view whether this is a result of laziness on the part of the mags etc over who they publish or laziness on the part of climbers, I don't know.

grimer

• forum hero
#47 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 11:54:58 am
The thing about the rest of the UK TNF team being dumped may be shitty, if true,  but I can only think of one other UK rock climber sponsored by TNF apart from James.

Who was that, Simmo?

Teaboy

• forum hero
#48 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 12:03:33 pm
I'm not sure if there was joke there that's flown over my ead but I was actually thinking of Lucinda Hughes\Whittaker.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#49 Re: Summit Series Road Trip
May 12, 2009, 12:08:50 pm
Getting published in the mags is mainly down to fostering a relationship with a decent photographer. Crap photos = little page space.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal