UKBouldering.com

How many finger injuries? (Read 6046 times)

Luke

How many finger injuries?
February 21, 2009, 11:38:07 am
I've just figured out that I've had 6 in the past 2 and a half years. Surely this can't be normal. How often do you get finger injuries?

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: How many finger injuries?
February 21, 2009, 12:14:32 pm
I've just figured out that I've had 6 in the past 2 and a half years. Surely this can't be normal. How often do you get finger injuries?
Two last year.. both A2 pulleys, both healed up within 6-8 weeks...

erm

• player
#2 Re: How many finger injuries?
February 21, 2009, 12:25:03 pm
I have collateral ligament strains permanently (doctor says it'll go away if I stop climbing) in three of my fingers.

stom

• addict
    • Some Videos
#3 Re: How many finger injuries?
February 21, 2009, 03:49:58 pm

:o :jaw: surely you must be doing something wrong?

3 in 4 years for me- all from being too heavy and training too much after having a 5 year break from climbing hard - I've dropped from 14stone to 12 1/4 over the last year and my fingers have really thanked me for it! Ive had one minor tweak in the last 12 month's this was purely from spending too much time on crimps in one training cycle, with careful management it was better in 3 weeks!

mark_mcq

#4 Re: How many finger injuries?
February 21, 2009, 03:53:27 pm
I had 2 severe ones when I was about 16.. middle finger on both hands. Had to stop all climbing for a year as I couldnt even pick up a bottle of juice. Then when I was about 18 a slight tweak on one ring finger.. Since then they have been bomb proof. :) (Touch wood)..

Scouse D

• forum hero
#5 Re: How many finger injuries?
February 22, 2009, 11:39:29 am
I've injured every pulley in each hand over the last 16 years, as well as colateral strains a broken finger and a mallet finger. Just getting over A2 injuries in first finger of each hand. I reckon I average 2 serious finger injuries per year.

dave

#6 Re: How many finger injuries?
February 22, 2009, 09:05:53 pm
I reckon I average 2 serious finger injuries per session.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#7 Re: How many finger injuries?
February 22, 2009, 10:01:51 pm
Two or three in 15 years. I have short fat fingers that are not prone to injury!

philo

• forum hero
#8 Re: How many finger injuries?
February 22, 2009, 10:53:35 pm
2 in 2 years, a2 pulleys on both my middle fingers. one still has it!

benj_d

• menacing presence
#9 Re: How many finger injuries?
February 22, 2009, 11:42:28 pm
I've been climbing for just over a year now and had none. But I was wondering, what the best way to avoid injury is...

Obviously, there is warming up and down. Anything else?

Also are there more factors to make you more prone to injury? i.e I am 17, about 5ft10 and weigh 9 and a half stone. Does being quite light in weight, make me less prone to injury?

dave

#10 Re: How many finger injuries?
February 23, 2009, 09:40:45 am
I think there's a few things can make you less injury prone. obviously being lighter is better. also building up your strength over a long period (it seems that people who get really strong really fast also get injured more). warming up well also helps, making sure you're not tired or stressed, drinking plenty of water etc etc. I doubt smoking or drugs will do you any favours injury-wise. I've been climbing 11 years and have never had what I would call a proper finger injury, (granted have had a couple of minor tweeks, which were generally fine the next session). some people are just more injury prone than others though.

andymarshll

• player
#11 Re: How many finger injuries?
February 23, 2009, 09:48:44 am
7 in the past 3 years, mostly A2s.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#12 Re: How many finger injuries?
February 23, 2009, 10:41:45 am
I've injured every pulley in each hand over the last 16 years, as well as colateral strains a broken finger and a mallet finger. Just getting over A2 injuries in first finger of each hand. I reckon I average 2 serious finger injuries per year.

Does that include pulling so hard the blood bursts out of your finger tips and trickles down your arms?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#13 Re: How many finger injuries?
February 23, 2009, 10:59:52 am
I also think the key to not getting serious finger injuries is climbing using the best possible technique - only pulling hard on fingers where necessary, being in control, use good footwork etc. Learn to vary grip, ie don't close hand crimp everything. And also note any niggles, tweaks, etc and adpress them before they get worse. Almost every major finger injury I have had has warning signs that it is going to happen, which I have duly ignored. And I don't think I have ever injured a finger climbing outdoors.

dave

#14 Re: How many finger injuries?
February 23, 2009, 11:05:54 am
I also think the key to not getting serious finger injuries is climbing using the best possible technique - only pulling hard on fingers where necessary, being in control, use good footwork etc. Learn to vary grip, ie don't close hand crimp everything.

you've clearly never climbed with me.

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#15 Re: How many finger injuries?
February 24, 2009, 10:23:43 am
I've had mild A2 in the ring finger of my right hand, A2 in middle finger of left, and I've currently got what I think are A5 injuries in the ring and middle fingers of my left hand. All in 3 years out of the 4 I've been climbing regularly. All injured indoors. All had warning signs which I ignored. And I still only climb F6c+! Daaaaaaamn!  :wall:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#16 Re: How many finger injuries?
February 24, 2009, 10:39:10 am
I also think the key to not getting serious finger injuries is climbing using the best possible technique - only pulling hard on fingers where necessary, being in control, use good footwork etc. Learn to vary grip, ie don't close hand crimp everything.

you've clearly never climbed with me.

Do you do all of the above? Tut tut. When I moved from SA to Leeds I really struggled with having to deal with anything other than dirty wee crimps and pinches. Still do.

iain

• forum abuser
#17 Re: How many finger injuries?
March 15, 2009, 01:50:53 pm

3 last year, despite me being 'more careful'. First one too much fingerboarding (first time I'd done it properly), second to quickly back after recovering from first, third I have no idea how I did, new type of injury for me, a strained pip joint. I recovered quickly from the first 2 because after years I think I've got a good idea when to acknowledge there's a problem and start dealing with it, rather than just having a niggle. Still struggling with the last.
I average 2 a year so far.

I have done 7 of 8 A2 pulleys, several A3's and generally struggle to not injure myself if I'm training hard. I open hand a lot now but still get pulley injuries, Sheesh

There are lots of things that help reduce the likelihood of injuried like variety of types of training and not training intensively for extended perioids, making sure you're properly hydrated well in advance of a serious session, not pushing when tired etc, but despite what some people have written I think there are some people who have a greater tendency to get injured than others.
But given I supposedly 'know' all that I still get injured so I probably just don't know what I'm doing.

As for Mark_McQ above, Sam and I think agree that you're a genetic freak to get injured so little, especially with the way you train

And yes, I am jealous  ;)

Twiglett

• regular
    • Vid's
#18 Re: How many finger injuries?
March 15, 2009, 06:49:52 pm
I seem to collect the bloody things.

I would say I get about 3 or 4 a year  :jaw:

route149

• addict
  • 'Let's see how Ben does it...'
#19 Re: How many finger injuries?
March 24, 2009, 11:08:23 pm

I would say I get about 3 or 4 a year  :jaw:

Unlucky.  I did A2s in left hand  3,4, quite a few years back.  Only the once, though.  There's always a danger of trying to catch up after rehab (I don't mean Amy Winehouse type) and blowing the things again. Take it slowly and you will get stronger, even if this seems counter-intuitive. 

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#20 Re: How many finger injuries?
March 24, 2009, 11:40:03 pm
I've had 3 (all A2 from what I can gather) in the last year or so, all my left hand, this is mainly down to me being unable to understand that my tiny weak fingers cannot support and pull up my entire bodyweight unless they are used at least 4 at a time.  Mono pockets are not my friends.  ???

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#21 Re: How many finger injuries?
March 25, 2009, 08:22:46 am
I also think the key to getting weak is climbing using the best possible technique - only pulling hard on fingers where necessary, being in control, use good footwork etc. Learn to vary grip, ie don't close hand crimp everything.

:-\

1 in 12 years, A2 on middle finger on left hand. Sort of healed within a couple of months, but recurred for bits of the next year. Taping helped a lot as did general dilligence.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal