technical > computers, technology and the internet

Twitter. Whats it all about?

<< < (25/25)

matt463:
I find Twitter to be a pretty mellow place. I mainly follow other researchers in my field and it's mainly a professional outlet for research announcements etc. It's also pretty handy for paper calls, jobs etc. I do find it a bit odd when I see people I respect getting into quite petty online arguments, but I feel able to ignore that. I'm not sure if other available platforms suitably replace this either

jwi:
Twitter is a lot more acceptable if you make sure to never ever click on the tab "for you" with algorithmic driven content, and only use the "following" tab.

Threads seems like an instagram for text. Great if you want to be fed celebrity text to go with celebrity images.

I find mastodon ok now. Not enough chess content (twitter is great for this) and no climbing content (twitter is not good for this and instagram is absolutely unbearable garbage, I don't understand how anyone can stand following famous/influencer climbers on instagram).

I am very sceptical about using social media to filter general news: human editors seem to be vastly superior to algos at separating the wheat from the chaff

Oldmanmatt:

--- Quote from: jwi on July 16, 2023, 02:55:41 pm ---Twitter is a lot more acceptable if you make sure to never ever click on the tab "for you" with algorithmic driven content, and only use the "following" tab.

Threads seems like an instagram for text. Great if you want to be fed celebrity text to go with celebrity images.

I find mastodon ok now. Not enough chess content (twitter is great for this) and no climbing content (twitter is not good for this and instagram is absolutely unbearable garbage, I don't understand how anyone can stand following famous/influencer climbers on instagram).

I am very sceptical about using social media to filter general news: human editors seem to be vastly superior to algos at separating the wheat from the chaff

--- End quote ---
Ted Kingsnorth is worth a follow on insta. There’s a few “regular but good” climbers on there who aren’t “influencers”.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version