technical > computers, technology and the internet

Twitter. Whats it all about?

(1/25) > >>

tomtom:
Everything on the media seems to be mentioning twitter and tweeting (the act of twittering?) at the moment - and somehow I seem to have completely missed out on what its all about.
I get the gist its some kind of micro blogging thingy, but whats the rub? whys it so good? what makes it such a success?
 :shrug:
Is it any good or a load of old sherman? I notice people here have twitter icons.. do you use it? is it worth bothering with or should I just keep my head happily in the sand?
T

magpie:
Do you have Facebook?  Twitter is essentially like the status updates on Facebook.  You make short posts / updates about what you are doing or how you are feeling or any general shit that you want and then people can comment on them, you in turn can then answer the comments should you choose or comment on other people's updates.

There's a UKB Twitter page for condition reports which is pretty useful if you're local to the other people updating, there's a thread somewhere but I can't find it at the moment.

Other than that, like all social networking things, it's really just a way for people to talk about what they are doing and generally be nosy about other people, if they so choose.  A lot of celebrity types have Twitter pages which are apparently quite good to follow, but I've never really been able to get into it myself.

You're not missing out on much I don't think, Facebook has far better nosiness and stalking potential  ;)

tomtom:

--- Quote from: magpie on March 23, 2009, 09:54:15 pm ---Do you have Facebook?  Twitter is essentially like the status updates on Facebook.  You make short posts / updates about what you are doing or how you are feeling or any general shit that you want and then people can comment on them, you in turn can then answer the comments should you choose or comment on other people's updates.

There's a UKB Twitter page for condition reports which is pretty useful if you're local to the other people updating, there's a thread somewhere but I can't find it at the moment.

Other than that, like all social networking things, it's really just a way for people to talk about what they are doing and generally be nosy about other people, if they so choose.  A lot of celebrity types have Twitter pages which are apparently quite good to follow, but I've never really been able to get into it myself.

You're not missing out on much I don't think, Facebook has far better nosiness and stalking potential  ;)

--- End quote ---
Thanks Maggie - that sounds like a great summary... I think I'll not worry about the twittering for now.. though the crag update gubbins sounds useful.. the whole what i'm doing now bit about facebook can be one of the most interesting bits (what others are doing - the stalking part!) and one of the most tedious (putting what I'm doing..).. T

magpie:
I think you can probably see the UKB page anyway, without being a member, or it only takes 5 minutes to join up and you never have to post updates, you can just follow / watch other people.

Bubba:

I'm a big fan of Twitter - I much prefer it to facebook and all it's annoying "applications".

It's more micro-blogging than social networking really. The 140 character limit keeps things short and sweet.

It's actually really useful for finding quality, personalised information on many a topic - news, reviews, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version