UKBouldering.com

Recommend a Protein supplement. (Read 20157 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#25 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
March 21, 2009, 09:37:21 pm
i still think human growth hormone is better. a little harder to get hold of tho
Seems pretty easy to buy online.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#26 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
March 22, 2009, 12:05:19 pm
HB protein is pretty low quality.

MP stuff is as good at MM, but tastes like shit especially if you mix it with water.  I'd rather pay more money and use it rather than have stuff sitting on the shelf.

you p*ssy. I've only stopped using the rasberry whey as after 5kg 'rasberry' derived from sweet cheese, is a bit nasty. I can't believe you're willing to spend that much /kg for just enhanced taste. James, is using acid whey and a whole lot of other nasty tasting ingredients from MP and he's managed to make a pretty palatable drink using soya milk with it...

I'd also rather pay more money for a good bottle of wine rather than a can of special brew

Mr Cat

• menacing presence
    • Flickr
#27 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
March 22, 2009, 04:09:57 pm
how often do you lot take your protein? - daily..? or just when you actually train..?

I currently take it 2-3 times daily, but boulder 3 times a week and I'm wondering if my protein intake is overkill?

joeb

• addict
#28 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
March 23, 2009, 07:04:22 pm
Sounds a bit much but if it works crack on. I used to take mine post training only and just seemed to allow me to either squeeze in an extra session a week or feel refreshed quicker. Might be placebo but i'll take it.

jay1lk

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#30 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
June 15, 2009, 05:39:29 pm
Not sifted through the whole thread but Holland and Barrett have an offer on with their Whey Protein. I bought a tub yesterday, caned the guru's workout hard, lifted breeze blocks and shovelled sand all day and I don't even have a twinge. Fine stuff by me.

Check it here.

P.S. In store the offer was on all flavours. I bought Banana as the shop assistant told me it's their biggest seller. Tastes amazing with 125ml of skimmed milk.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#31 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
June 15, 2009, 05:52:30 pm
just remember that paul weighs 9 stone and monolith is not much bigger. if i were them i'd save some cash and just eat half a tin of tuna. the larger discerning gentleman can't go far wrong with cyclone

special brew gives the same effect as peroni. a pint of peroni please my good man. thats £3.20 sir. gosh thats expensive. yes, we have special brew on offer for £1. thank you, i'll have that peroni please

marty

• menacing presence
#32 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
June 15, 2009, 08:30:00 pm
just remember that paul weighs 9 stone and monolith is not much bigger. if i were them i'd save some cash and just eat half a tin of tuna. the larger discerning gentleman can't go far wrong with cyclone

:agree:
Agree with the cyclone  - taken pre-workout always gives me a noticeable boost ... but it does taste like shit whether mixed with water or milk.

Monolith

• forum hero
#33 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
June 15, 2009, 08:53:21 pm
special brew gives the same effect as peroni. a pint of peroni please my good man. thats £3.20 sir. gosh thats expensive. yes, we have special brew on offer for £1. thank you, i'll have that peroni please

Lee, are you comparing Special Brew to Holland and Barrett's Body Fortress line?

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#34 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
June 15, 2009, 10:11:56 pm
Haha I love your observations Lee

I am currently working my way through a new brand to compare with Maximuscle Promax that I used and so far am quite impressed. It seems to be fixing me up a lot sooner and have even managed to gain maybe a kilo of burl in the last month  :lol:

The new one is by Reflex Protein called 'One Stop' and is probably more comparable to Cyclone than Promax as it contains some creatine and is advisable before and after sessions..etc The additional daily recommended of Vitamins A->D is also involved so no need for vitamin tablets not that I ever bothered anyway  :wank:

Monolith

• forum hero
#35 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
June 15, 2009, 10:33:51 pm
Wait til he sees your gunshow when we get t'Peak Crouch. He'll be buying 'One Stop' out of stock.

BenF

• forum hero
#36 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
June 16, 2009, 08:05:43 am
The new one is by Reflex Protein called 'One Stop'

Following on from our conversation in the car on Saturday... that's the one we've got too.  I couldn't remember so I looked at the label when I got in.  However, I didn't have any at the weekend but ate tuna instead.  It was nicer with pasta.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#37 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
June 16, 2009, 12:19:17 pm
What's wrong with a nice grilled tuna steak  :shrug:

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#38 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
June 16, 2009, 01:35:07 pm
What's wrong with a nice grilled tuna steak  :shrug:

A tuna steak before and after sessions 6 days a week? I'm no maths genius, but I'm prepared to wager money that this approach would make cyclone look like Dylan's special brew in a cost comparison.

Monolith

• forum hero
#39 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
June 18, 2009, 07:27:54 pm
So far so good on the Holland And Barrett stuff. No soreness despite a period of intense exertion.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#40 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
June 18, 2009, 11:15:49 pm
I didn't know that social networking and 1 day outside puntering on a 1 move 7a counted as physical exertion Tom?  :lol:

Monolith

• forum hero
#41 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
June 19, 2009, 06:38:15 pm
Hang on a second Richie "Two Jobs" Crouch... I'm referring to a working day that burns about as many calories in a day as you do in a fortnight and clocking more hours in a day than you do in the working year! Come back when you can do owt on the beastmaker because that's what counts in life.

BenF

• forum hero
#42 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
June 19, 2009, 08:46:43 pm
Tom, don't take that shit off that ginger twat; I was well impressed that you'd done a boulder problem.  Let me know next year when you do another and I'll film it.

Rich I cannot believe that you tried to give someone shit given your workshy foppish lifestyle.  Oh hang on a minute it was Tom "cafe culture" Mills.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#43 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
June 19, 2009, 09:18:14 pm
Keep hanging those bits of wood in the hope it will one day propel you to the giddy heights of becoming Merseyside's answer to Dense... although your ability with heels makes Lee appear like Le Menestral.

I'm sure you will become adept no longer at just crimp crimp top but a master of slope slope top  ;)

psychomansam

• forum hero
#44 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
June 19, 2009, 09:20:21 pm
I don't take protein supplements and am opposed to everything they represent... hehe... ...but i have been tempted too when training hard and struggling to recover - especially when struggling to afford meat.

As has already been mentioned, you're often just as well off getting your protein from natural foods, especially if you're smaller. Getting through masses of the stuff is indeed overkill, will likely be far more protein than your body needs, and it will simply be turned into energy - i.e. burnt off immediately or stored as fat.

The best thing about protein supplements is convenience. WHEN you take on protein is very important for efficiency and speed of recovery. The best time to consume your protein will in fact be IMMEDIATELY BEFORE exercise, certainly for shorter sessions. IMMEDIATELY AFTER exercise is the 2nd best time for your protein intake.

Taking on protein in these time frames will improve recovery speed, and you should also bear in mind that the same can be said for eating IMMEDIATELY (not an hour) after exercise in general.

Oh, and less beer and more sleep....

...Feck it then!

:alky:

BenF

• forum hero
#45 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
June 19, 2009, 09:32:05 pm
I'm sure you will become adept no longer at just crimp crimp top but a master of slope slope top  ;)

More probably just "slope slope".

Monolith

• forum hero
#46 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
June 19, 2009, 10:15:49 pm
Ordinarily I would give a fuck about veering off topic but today I don't. Considering that you're a professional non professional climber I would hope that you'd be burning an ecstasy addict (yes it can be an addiction if you want it to be) into this side of next wednesday on those slopes. And as for bringing Lee's name anywhere near mine, I think we would each feel a state of mutual abhorrence.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#47 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
June 20, 2009, 12:34:17 pm
hear, hear

Monolith

• forum hero
#48 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
June 23, 2009, 08:16:14 pm
I don't take protein supplements and am opposed to everything they represent

Like the ability to recover and train without feeling like a raped corpse?

abarro81

• forum hero
#49 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
June 24, 2009, 11:13:51 pm
Any opinions on protein vs 'recovery' (2:1 ish carb:protein) products for after both bouldering and circuits sessions? I usually use recovery stuff, but since it's almost exactly the same content as most weight gain products I've begun to wonder if this is a mistake on the long road to power/fitness/beastliness?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal