UKBouldering.com

Bursitis (Read 3312 times)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Bursitis
March 16, 2009, 10:46:55 am
This is more of a 'heads up for anyone interested' really; but from recent experience, i would probably try and avoid any knee barring if you have any kind of slightly inflamed cut in the knee area, as it is a really good way to develop bursitis (i.e.: nasty knee infection, lots of swelling, very difficult to walk)  , it would appear.
Anyone else had similar problems?

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#1 Re: Bursitis
March 16, 2009, 09:39:54 pm
Don't know about getting it from a cut but I got bursitis in my elbow after shoulder surgery - Too long in the sling without bending my arm. Nice pooling of liquid round the joint making a kind of huge blister. Very painful to lean on! Ice and compression fixed it- Took a while tho.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#2 Re: Bursitis
March 16, 2009, 09:41:55 pm
This is more of a 'heads up for anyone interested' really; but from recent experience, i would probably try and avoid any knee barring if you have any kind of slightly inflamed cut in the knee area, as it is a really good way to develop bursitis (i.e.: nasty knee infection, lots of swelling, very difficult to walk)  , it would appear.
Anyone else had similar problems?

That is from the cut, not the knee bars.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#3 Re: Bursitis
March 16, 2009, 09:55:16 pm
 :agree:

Ask fatkid about infected knee bursitis, he's spent 4 weeks just getting walking, never mind bouldering or riding bikes!

Old knee fracture.. Freezing conditions to ride in, a chest infection and skin abrasions is the multi factorial cause..

But aprt from classic house maids knee you need an infective focus to get puss in a bursa, even if it's  remote site ( such as lung)

You getting good medical advice on this? I would!

fatkid2000

• junky
#4 Re: Bursitis
March 16, 2009, 11:13:03 pm
My knee is recovering but bloody slowly and I have done no cycling / climbing for a month.

I ended up on high dose oral antibiotics - enough to cause the shits (take lactobacillus it helped)

I had a fall at Stanage 9 years ago or so - open tibial plateau fracture - with the laceration through the bursa. Its been fine since then - occasional ache but nothing severe. Following a little trip with fatdoc to Spain I limped back home with a hugely infected knee / bursa. I'm sure the chest infection was caught from FD (probably some kind of dodgy ITU bug he caught from work - he was on prophylactic antibiotics in Spain).

I'm left with a knee which is heading slowly back to normal - very stiff and at times bloody painful, especially if knocked. I managed 1/2 hr on the turbo trainer yesterday afternoon and ended up with  a very stiff and painful knee again. Its even had a load of steroid injected into it. I'm back to the knee surgeon next week, and trying to see a sports physician later this. 

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#5 Re: Bursitis
March 17, 2009, 05:19:18 pm
:agree:

you need an infective focus to get puss in a bursa, even if it's  remote site ( such as lung)

You getting good medical advice on this? I would!

plenty of medical advice / treatment - the eventual consensus seemed to be probable haematoma / infection rather than bursitis - although there was much discussion of septic arthritis and joint scrub ops, although it seems that this is perhaps less likely than other things...
definitely on a lot of antibiotics and antiinflammatories, and not really moving around too much at the moment :(
cheers for the contributions.
I realise knee barring would cause bursitis / etc on its own, but the pressure / trauma on an already grazed knee - possible?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#6 Re: Bursitis
March 18, 2009, 07:17:35 pm
Yep

Take your time, fatkid has now reported a better knee!

And a desire for some big bike action!!

( saves pedalling!!)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal