UKBouldering.com

Cheap Pulley's for taking weight off (Read 8118 times)

Tim Broughtonshaw

• obsessive maniac
Cheap Pulley's for taking weight off
March 18, 2009, 03:04:13 pm
Hi all,
       who uses what type/setup of pulley's for use with fingerboards etc when reducing bodyweight. i.e. for work with assisted 1 armers or lockoffs etc. I'm looking to mount a pulley on the side or below the fingerboard (on the backing plywood).

Cheers
Tim

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Used inner tube works well* for me, just hold it lower down when you want less assistance.

* I say well, but what I really mean is that it hangs there and I think about doing some finger-board work whilst cooking, but usually just use the chin-up bar in between stirring dishes.

hairich

• obsessive maniac
i use a rubber theraband to stand in like a stirrup for one foot. much less hassle than a pulley.

Paul B

• forum hero
its hard to guage tubes etc.

I set up a weighted system on the rings a few years ago now. Got a pulley of sorts from B&Q for £2.50, it said it wasn't rated but it held a decent amount of weight without breaking.

Tim Broughtonshaw

• obsessive maniac
its hard to guage tubes etc.

I set up a weighted system on the rings a few years ago now. Got a pulley of sorts from B&Q for £2.50, it said it wasn't rated but it held a decent amount of weight without breaking.
thanks guys, But a pulley was the query so i can be SCIENTIFIC about the exact weight used.

BandQ sounds cheap enough. Cool. will look into that. did you mount yours below the board then i guess?

Cheers
Tim

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Paul B

• forum hero
did you mount yours below the board then i guess?

it was for use with  gymnastics rings. In between rings think:  harness -> pulley --> pulley ---> counterweight - all overhead.

Tim Broughtonshaw

• obsessive maniac
fair enought paul mate. incidentally, dont suppose you know what section it might be in in BandQ? thought it might be obvious but my local BandQ is one of those massive ones, and searching on tinterweb site for pulley/browsing the sections reveals nothing obvious.

Cheers
Tim

SteG

• addict
  • crimp
    • TheSend-Topo Apps
hi Tim,

ask Stew about the fishing scales, I'm using one of these bad boys

I have one hung off the back of my finger board with a QD tape in the hook end for a bit more comfort on the assistance finger. You can read off *exactly* how much assistance the other hand is giving from the scale and it's easy to reduce the assistance by unloading the scale to a lighter load (that's SCIENCE).
Also if you happen to slip off the one armer it saves getting tangled in the pulley system and bashing your b**lox on the plate as it zooms past  :whistle:

Forgot to mention, it's a hefty £3.50

Paul B

• forum hero
fair enought paul mate. incidentally, dont suppose you know what section it might be in in BandQ? thought it might be obvious but my local BandQ is one of those massive ones, and searching on tinterweb site for pulley/browsing the sections reveals nothing obvious.

Cheers
Tim

It was something to do with curtains...

nik at work

• forum hero
From various forrays to various B&Q's I'd suggest you look in the aisle that has the lengths of chain/rope/webbing/etc in it. Of course I've never actually purchased a pulley but I seem to remember seeing them in that area.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal