UKBouldering.com

Plantation Downhill track (Read 7079 times)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Plantation Downhill track
March 17, 2009, 08:25:31 am
Someone has been building a downhill track in The Plantation at Stanage.

The rangers are not impressed (the phrase illegal mountain biking was how it was described) and I can assure you it isn't going to be tolerated. So if anyone knows anyone or sees anyone up to anything have a quiet word. Its not likely to reflect well on the MTB's opposition to 4x4s if it isn't nipped in the bud either. Cheers.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#1 Re: Plantation Downhill track
March 17, 2009, 09:21:57 am
Frigging idiots, ill post up on a couple of the biking forums and spread the word and try and stop it. Its not a sheffield group that i know of as the only illegal tracks i knew about were on the side of Win Hill in the woods there and were very shit. The level of 'building' was minimal with the main method of cutting was just riding a line until the top loam was bedded slighly. I think it may be xc boys riding alternative lines cos the top path is getting so muddy and rutted. I might nip out this eve to have a look and see whats been done and to what extent.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 09:36:38 am by fatboySlimfast »

cofe

• forum hero
#2 Re: Plantation Downhill track
March 17, 2009, 09:46:36 am
there were some downhillers pushing up and riding bits of the upper path the other week. building there is pretty idiotic.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Re: Plantation Downhill track
March 17, 2009, 11:54:17 am

This may be connected to the fact that the FC have turned Wharncliffe into a disaster by false promises and a lack of
action.

There was talk of building elsewhere. I assumed this meant Ladybower but you never know.

When you say "downhill track" JB do you mean big jumps/berms/kickers etc or just a trail on the hillside?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#4 Re: Plantation Downhill track
March 17, 2009, 12:47:10 pm
I haven't seen it myself, got a phone call from Bill the ranger this morning. He said he's had to 'dismantle' it twice so I think we can assume more than a trail. Might have a wander up tonight and look.

Thanks for spreading the word fatboy.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#5 Re: Plantation Downhill track
March 17, 2009, 10:40:16 pm
Wrong

Very

I'll back up fbsf on the forums in question.

How well can one user group attempt to ruin their name!!

I apologise for their actions... Though I don't know who the hell who is responsible old twats like me and fbsf hopefully can get through to these guys!

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#6 Re: Plantation Downhill track
March 17, 2009, 11:08:54 pm
had a walk through the wood this eve, not really a dh course but more a stunt off one of the boulders down to a tranny. no tracks come into it and it seems an isolated attempt, fairly ametuerish in construction. i have posted on gravity slaves and will post on sdh.com. i have a strog feeling this might be local lads as its a long way for sheffield just to build one stunt ad there are other courses near by that are longer and more demanding.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#7 Re: Plantation Downhill track
March 18, 2009, 08:28:13 am
Agree, doesn't look like anything likely to catch on. You'd have to climb over the barbed wire fence  to get to it too, and then didn't look to be much of a runout below it before another fence.

Spoke to Bill the ranger again last night and he was fuming about another mtber flogging direct across burbage moor with 'half the peat bog' on his tyres. Generally he's pretty good about the idiot quotient in any sport but he gets a bit tetchy this time of year with the ring ouzels coming back. There was a rescue on friday which involved the fire engine(!) running over a sheep, then half the staff of outside got there cars locked in at the planatation car park last night. Not a great weekend for him...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 Re: Plantation Downhill track
March 18, 2009, 02:13:23 pm

Strange really - there's got to be loads of better places to build near there....erm Ladybower perhaps?

clm

• forum hero
#9 Re: Plantation Downhill track
March 19, 2009, 05:09:06 pm
i think it also means to be mentioned that riders (and i am one - but not one of those i am criticising) are wrecking the approach path by showing a distinct lack of talent / consideration by failing to ride on the cobbles down through the plantation path and causing big old boggy trenches either side.  Someone please harangue on the biking forums.  the peak park are only gonna remove it as a right of way if it gets wrecked.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#10 Re: Plantation Downhill track
March 19, 2009, 08:08:39 pm
Ride it hard and fast, pref at night and it comes into it's own. Solid grit blocks

Very cool!!

Shame it into the V graphics books, although a bridle way no one knew who wasn't in the know!!

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#11 Re: Plantation Downhill track
March 19, 2009, 08:40:01 pm
 :agree:

But I think walkers and climbers are also doing plenty of damage stepping off the side of the stepping stones.  Unfortunately it's inevitable with the amount of traffic it gets.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#12 Re: Plantation Downhill track
March 20, 2009, 03:32:37 pm
 :agree:

The popular end approach path is just as damaged i.e. excessively wide and that's only due to walkers

Shame it into the V graphics books, although a bridle way no one knew who wasn't in the know!!

Ruined many a good bridleway due to over use in my opinion

Fj

• menacing presence
#13 Re: Plantation Downhill track
March 22, 2009, 08:26:16 pm
Looks like they may be trying to imitate Chris Akrigg's latest vid.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 08:30:03 pm by Bubba »

matthew

• menacing presence
#14 Re: Plantation Downhill track
March 23, 2009, 11:33:20 am
Yeah I just saw that and wondered where the gritstone was? (Only been to Stanage twice so wasn't sure)

Oli

• obsessive maniac
#15 Re: Plantation Downhill track
March 23, 2009, 11:38:39 am
Yeah I just saw that and wondered where the gritstone was? (Only been to Stanage twice so wasn't sure)

The Chris Akrigg video's at Earl I think.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#16 Re: Plantation Downhill track
March 23, 2009, 11:42:45 am
Yeah that grit crag is Earl. Not sure where the stuff in the woods is though.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#17 Re: Plantation Downhill track
March 23, 2009, 02:48:12 pm
Might be Shipley. Seen folk arsing about there before, and it's been in a couple of vids.

That linkage on his rear shock is wierd, not seen that setup before.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal