UKBouldering.com

Peak or Yorkshire? (Read 14058 times)

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#50 Re: Peak or Yorkshire?
December 20, 2008, 12:55:49 pm
so why is it different for waiters?

Because they earn a fraction of what mechanics do, and rely on tips to top up their wage.

As for how much to tip; I'd say 10-20% depending on quality of service, size of bill, attractiveness of waitress.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#51 Re: Peak or Yorkshire?
December 20, 2008, 01:30:41 pm
This is true, but what if, for the sake of argument, you took your car in for the exhaust to be fixed, and they provided a really good service?

Funny you should say that, what if the service was crap, but you were in font, and the best french speaker in the car judged the mechanic 'a canny lad'? 20 euro?

cofe

• forum hero
#52 Re: Peak or Yorkshire?
December 20, 2008, 03:08:35 pm
beat me to it.  ;D

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#53 Re: Peak or Yorkshire?
December 21, 2008, 11:01:52 pm
seems fair to me

Christobal

• regular
#54 Re: Peak or Yorkshire?
January 05, 2009, 11:48:01 pm
You, have already been very helpful on this forum and I hope you do not feel I'm to tiresome for wanting to ask advice on yet again a couple of issues.

I would really like some suggestions for outstanding problems in the 6c-7bsomething range of the fontscale. The lines i favor are about vertical and crimpy.
My projects so far for our springtrip are: "Cleopatra"-Bridestones, "WSS" and "Play hard" I might also have a go at "Walk on by" even though it might be a bit much.
What I'm really looking for are some problems similar to those mentioned but maybe a notch easier.
Any suggestions?

Strange circumstances will have us landing in Liverpool sunday afternoon without any chance of going bouldering until Monday so we were planning on maybe going out for a beer.
Since Sunday may not be the best of weekdays when it comes to partying I would hope for some advice if anyone on this forum are familiar with the nightlife in the region.
Our plan was to rent a car and getting a room in either Liverpool, Manchester or Sheffield and then try to go out and drink too much.
Any thoughts on the subject?

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#55 Re: Peak or Yorkshire?
January 06, 2009, 12:27:13 am
Christobal - I would happily have let you guys stay at my house in Liverpool, but I've recently moved out. Liverpool has some great old pubs as well as more modern bars and clubs.

Some pub and bar suggestions you should seek out in the city centre:

The Ship and Mitre Pub - Dale Street. (All of the pubs on Dale Street sell a wide variety of ales and wines and there are some really nice pubs here)

Korova Bar - 39-41 Fleet Street (A new 'young' bar selling a good variety of beers and spirits. Indie/dance music and where all the cool kids hang out.

The Egg Cafe -  Top Floor 16-18 Newington (A local should be able to point you in the direction of this establishment. You can take your own wine or beer and they charge a very small corkage fee)

These are some of my favourite places but there are of course many more. If you want to send me a private message here with a phone number or something, I might be around in Liverpool in the evening and could show you where these places are. If I'm not around, I can try to put you in contact with some other boulderers).

Safe journey!

Paul B

• forum hero
#56 Re: Peak or Yorkshire?
January 06, 2009, 01:41:01 am
My projects so far for our springtrip are: "Cleopatra"-Bridestones, "WSS" and "Play hard" I might also have a go at "Walk on by" even though it might be a bit much.

walk on by has suffered some hold crumble-age and i've been told is a fair bit harder so might not be worth bothering.
The storm would be a good substitute

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#57 Re: Peak or Yorkshire?
January 06, 2009, 01:53:07 am
Cleopatra at the Bridestones is good.  Whilst there I'd also recommend Out of Sight, Horror Arete and Nine, plus lots of the classic easier stuff.  Be aware it's suffering with erosion.
Whilst there it would be feasible to nip to Widdop for Fight On Black and some easier classics, and Scout Crag for Boggy's Roof.

Earl may be a good place for steeper wall stuff, although it can be pretty cold.

Christobal

• regular
#58 Re: Peak or Yorkshire?
January 07, 2009, 07:54:14 am
Thanks a lot guys.

webbo

• forum hero
#59 Re: Peak or Yorkshire?
January 07, 2009, 08:29:22 am
And by the way, how does tipping work in England? In Sweden you aren't obligated to tip but if you are happy with the service you are getting 10% is customary.
Last year in the Peak we never really got the hang of it and ended up tipping half of the time to try to judge the reactions. Unfortunately we ended up none the wiser and would like to come prepared this time.
So help us.  :please:
when in yorkshire you need to tip the local climbers lots of money as they will be giving you accurate and up to date beta and will genuinely trying to help you get up the problems.if you are very generous they may even give you a yorkshire spot.
in the peak you will be best tipping with old left over food as everybody will be just trying to sandbag you.

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#60 Re: Peak or Yorkshire?
January 07, 2009, 02:52:21 pm
I would really like some suggestions for outstanding problems in the 6c-7bsomething range of the fontscale. The lines i favor are about vertical and crimpy.

Mansons wall - shipley glen
Phils wall - shipley glen
Millstone grit - shipley glen

Christobal

• regular
#61 Re: Peak or Yorkshire?
January 07, 2009, 04:51:03 pm
Aha
Shipley Glen?
Is that Yorkshire?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#62 Re: Peak or Yorkshire?
January 07, 2009, 04:55:59 pm
Aha
Shipley Glen?
Is that Yorkshire?

It is indeed

Can't believe no one's put you onto YorkshireGrit.com before (although they probably have, but I'm too lazy to re-read the whole thread).

Christobal

• regular
#63 Re: Peak or Yorkshire?
January 07, 2009, 05:35:46 pm
I don't believe they have but It looks like a great site.
Thanks a bunch.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#64 Re: Peak or Yorkshire?
January 07, 2009, 09:36:53 pm
No-one did apart from Slackline himself back on pg 2

Christobal

• regular
#65 Re: Peak or Yorkshire?
January 07, 2009, 09:57:52 pm
Almost like "X-Files"

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#66 Re: Peak or Yorkshire?
January 08, 2009, 07:44:57 am
No-one did apart from Slackline himself back on pg 2

:lol: I did have a strange sense of deja vu.

Christobal

• regular
#67 Re: Peak or Yorkshire?
February 16, 2009, 08:41:30 pm
The boulder on page 15 of the new Yorkshire guidebook. What is that? Looks awesome. :bounce:

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#68 Re: Peak or Yorkshire?
February 16, 2009, 08:56:46 pm
Its horror arete at bridestones.
A very, very good problem

Christobal

• regular
#69 Re: Peak or Yorkshire?
February 17, 2009, 12:43:17 pm
Thanks
I absolutely have to try that line.

Christobal

• regular
#70 Re: Peak or Yorkshire?
March 14, 2009, 12:05:11 pm
So tomorrow is the big day.
Well hopefully be landing in Liverpool at lunchtime and if the weather seems okay well be heading for a quickie at Burbage south. Anyone going there sunday?
If the weather is crap well be staying the night in Liverpool for a couple o beers and hitting peak until Thursday when were going to Yorkshire.
Hopefully we can hook up with some locals that can show us whats what.

I do have a couple of questions left if I'm not starting to tire you all.

1. Hopefully we will have climbed a bit when were moving to Yorkshire so maybe we will be feeling like having something to drink.
Whats the situation with going out in the middle of the week?
Is anything open? How late? Where is best? Leeds, Sheffield or some forgotten little hamlet somewhere in the woods.
And whats up with the shoe-thing? Ive heard that you can have a hard time getting inside nightopen establishments  wearing sneakers?

St Hubbins

• stalker
  • Where the magic happens...
#71 Re: Peak or Yorkshire?
March 14, 2009, 04:44:13 pm
And whats up with the shoe-thing? Ive heard that you can have a hard time getting inside nightopen establishments  wearing sneakers?

I've only found that to be in the 'Ikon' type pubs, and larger weatherspoons/yates pubs. Trust me, if somewhere requires you to wear a ben sherman shirt, shoes and smart denim then you need to avoid that place as it will be filled with the worst type of englishman, and the women in those places consider wiping their arse with a baby wipe to be a bath.

I'm sure someone will recommend a sheffield and liverpool night out in a bit

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#72 Re: Peak or Yorkshire?
March 14, 2009, 05:35:30 pm
If you're only out for a quickie and you're coming from and staying in Liverpool then Pex Hill might be a better bet. You'll have to ask Monolith, Crouch or one of the others about what conditions are like there at the moment but it's MUCH closer than Burbage and the climbing is crimpy and balancy as you like it. It's a much overlooked diamond, check it out.

Info here:
http://pexhillquarry.wetpaint.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal