UKBouldering.com

Recent wildlife sightings (Read 648516 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2175 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 15, 2020, 04:29:55 pm
Looked out of kitchen window this morning to find a sparrowhawk plucking a sparrow in the back garden. First time I've seen one here, spotted one in fields nearby, but not near house.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#2176 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 22, 2020, 09:47:18 am
Lovely stuff everyone! Local Swifts are back = deep joy...

Seem to be seeing more Warblers than ever this year. This may just be because I am just better at identifying their calls and maybe and know better which areas to frequent! However, I've seen loads of Whitethroat, Reed and Sedge Warbler, Blackcap, heard a few Cetti's recently. Some links to Tweets of my better photos below...

https://twitter.com/SimonHuthwaite/status/1263493606515576833?s=20

https://twitter.com/SimonHuthwaite/status/1257408752568983553?s=20

https://twitter.com/SimonHuthwaite/status/1254132085834514432?s=20

Ballsofcottonwool

• player
#2177 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 22, 2020, 10:57:10 am
My wife heard her first cuckoo of the year while out on a run on Tuesday.  On Wednesday evening I actually saw one for the first time ever while out mountain biking, it was getting chased off by two smaller birds and flew right over my head.

Mark Lloyd

• menacing presence
#2178 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 22, 2020, 08:33:29 pm
Nearly ran over ( on a bike ) a grass snake on the fire roads at wharncliffe yesterday, didn't register it straight away thought it was a stick, then it moved as I whizzed past by the time i'd stopped it had slunked off.

CrimpyMcCrimpface

• player
#2179 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 01, 2020, 09:08:19 am
I've noticed a heard of Roe Deer in the fields on both side of the road between the Grouse Inn and Froggatt parking many times recently. I first saw them one evening grazing on the side of on the Stoney Ridge Road just as lockdown was finishing. Since then I must have seen them 5-6 times around the Grouse Inn sometimes in big groups, sometimes just one or two. You have to be careful coming through that pass now as people are slowing and stopping to take pictures.

They look fantastic and their antlers are starting to come in. First I've seen them in 4 years of driving that road every weekend so either they escaped during lockdown or someone bought a lot of Deer. Longshaw Estate perhaps?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2180 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 01, 2020, 09:32:57 am
Roe or Red? Very rarely seen roe around, but the red deer herd around there is long established, possibly escaped from Chatsworth. The downside is that the increase in numbers in recent years is infesting the area with ticks.

CrimpyMcCrimpface

• player
#2181 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 01, 2020, 09:57:40 am
Roe or Red? Very rarely seen roe around, but the red deer herd around there is long established, possibly escaped from Chatsworth. The downside is that the increase in numbers in recent years is infesting the area with ticks.

I think probably Red because they are quite shaggy, but didn't think we had Red in England just Scotland. Their heard must have been huge then because I've seen a group on their estate too recently

T_B

• forum hero
#2182 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 01, 2020, 10:07:28 am
Yeah We picked up lots of ticks on Big Moor yesterday but maybe that’s from the cows as well as the deer??

El Mocho

• forum abuser
#2183 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 01, 2020, 10:45:16 am

I think probably Red because they are quite shaggy, but didn't think we had Red in England just Scotland. Their heard must have been huge then because I've seen a group on their estate too recently

They definitely seem bolder/more numerous this year. I've seen groups of around 15 in the woods below Froggatt on a few occasions and spotted smaller groups for the first time in the woods below Millstone and Lawrencefield. Met a Stag below Lawrencefield the other day who just wasn't bothered by us at all. It was about 5m away, at first it just stood there looking at me and the dogs but after a min or so it just went back to eating the grass, I tried to set the dogs on it but they were having none of it  ;D

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2184 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 01, 2020, 11:16:08 am
Yeah We picked up lots of ticks on Big Moor yesterday but maybe that’s from the cows as well as the deer??

My understanding is that livestock are treated to prevent/ eradicate them. I think it's the deer. Would you be up for posting details on the Peak Tick Watch thread?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#2185 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 01, 2020, 09:07:30 pm
Some cheeky bees were dogging in our back garden earlier this evening. I think honey bees or maybe a type on mason bee?
Anyway, I thought bees only shagged the queen bee? Why were two bees fucking in the bushes?

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
#2186 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 01, 2020, 09:38:23 pm
Most bee species are solitary bees that don't live in a colony with a queen, so are free to fuck in the bushes.

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
#2187 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 01, 2020, 09:41:41 pm
Saw a massive stag beetle on an oak tree in our local park, never seen one before.

JamieG

• forum hero
#2188 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 02, 2020, 01:29:50 pm
Found both a nuthatch (in a tree hole) and a great tit (in a drystone wall) nest while out walking last night. Lovely.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2189 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 02, 2020, 02:25:55 pm
Seen a few stonechats out and about and grey wagtails, yellowhammers etc, as well as the usual bloody gulls.

AMorris

• obsessive maniac
  • Trying to find form
#2190 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 02, 2020, 02:46:18 pm
In the last week I have seen both British species of Flycatcher within 3 miles of my house. I can't remember the last time I saw either the spotted or the pied so that was pretty special!

T_B

• forum hero
#2191 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 02, 2020, 03:13:22 pm
Adder on Big Moor. Pretty sure I’ve only ever seen an Adder once before. It was pretty chunky maybe 4cm in diameter.

Lots of bird life on the Eastern Edges but the usual dearth up high on the moors the three times I’ve been on Kinder post-LD.

Mr_Cus

• player
#2192 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 02, 2020, 03:18:36 pm

I saw what I think was a large muntjac deer whilst out for a run in the woods up near my house (near beauchief golf course in sheffield) a couple of nights ago.  I wasnt sure what it was at first as i only caught a glimpse but after a suggestion from a strava friend from my description I'm pretty sure it was a muntjac. Pretty cool! 

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2193 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 02, 2020, 03:20:18 pm
Adder on Big Moor. Pretty sure I’ve only ever seen an Adder once before. It was pretty chunky maybe 4cm in diameter.

Mate of mine went for a run up Clachnaben the first day of lockdown easing, and nearly stood on two, not sure if they have been more active with less human activity. One was a proper beast, maybe 3 ft.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#2194 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 02, 2020, 03:20:46 pm
as well as the usual bloody gulls.

Our garden backs onto a secondary school, there's usually a number of gulls overhead but realised maybe 2 weeks into lockdown that they've not been around and haven't seen one since. Can't say I'm missing them.

Great shows from Curlew at the bottom of Houndkirk at the moment, at least four of them, all very vocal.

sdm

• forum abuser
#2195 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 02, 2020, 03:57:43 pm
I saw what I think was a large muntjac deer whilst out for a run in the woods up near my house (near beauchief golf course in sheffield) a couple of nights ago.  I wasnt sure what it was at first as i only caught a glimpse but after a suggestion from a strava friend from my description I'm pretty sure it was a muntjac. Pretty cool!
I wish muntjac were rare around here. They can mostly be found darting out of hedges on to the country roads at full speed. I've lost count of the number of times that emergency braking has been needed to avoid a collision.

We also see a lot of Chinese water deer and red deer and less commonly milu, fallow deer, barasingha, axis and sika. The muntjacs are the only ones that seen to have a death wish.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#2196 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 15, 2020, 08:23:40 am
Stupendous amounts of Skylarks and Meadow Pippits on Saddleworth Moor yesterday

jshaw

• addict
#2197 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
July 03, 2020, 02:15:40 pm
I was walking at Stanage North last night and saw a bright white, very tiny rabbit-like thing. Googling suggests a Mountain Hare? But I thought they'd be in summer colour by now.

Does anyone have any ideas?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2198 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
July 03, 2020, 02:39:25 pm
stoat with white chest visible? I think they've lost winter coat by now.

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#2199 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
July 03, 2020, 03:05:59 pm
Pine marten casually strolled across the road in front of me when walking the dog this morning. Not particularly scarce here but rare to see them and the first I've seen so close to home. What a beauty.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal