UKBouldering.com

Recent wildlife sightings (Read 652694 times)

SamT

• forum hero
#2225 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
July 13, 2020, 10:18:55 am

Wasn't that close unfortunately and didn't have the bins to hand. 

mark20

• junky
#2226 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
July 30, 2020, 03:38:36 pm
Managed to spot the vulture above Howshaw Tor, from Lost Lad, a week or so ago. It rose up above the edge and glided off down the ridge.
There seem be fewer sightings reported online over the last few days, now around the Hope valley, Froggatt/Curbar/Baslow way. Perhaps the increase in activity around the old roost site meant it moved a way? Having a wander tomorrow so I'll try further South this time.

Also, more locally over the lockdown, we've heard and spotted plenty of Tawny Owls in Netheredge but still not seen the elusive urban badgers

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2227 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
July 30, 2020, 03:51:28 pm
Down at my usual spot on the coast somehow lacking on motivation, as conditions not what I was expecting. While kicking about a pod of dolphins traveled north, while watching them a seal popped up and watched me for a bit. Got me a bit motivated!

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#2228 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
August 08, 2020, 11:44:13 pm

Saw it at Ashop Edge today- it came flying down the gully next to the buttress we were gearing-up under with a massive squawk, must have been about 5m away from us, and headed down towards the river below. There were two normal-sized birds of prey attacking it (taking it in turns to fly up and dive-bomb it) the whole way. Absolutely amazing- I was genuinely terrified for a second!  :lol: That thing is huge.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#2229 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
August 09, 2020, 10:22:16 am
I saw a buzzard attacking it above Crowden Main when I was walking past the quarry a couple of days ago. First time I've seen a buzzard look tiny.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#2230 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
August 09, 2020, 02:24:20 pm
I’ve seen Buzzards overhead twice now from our backyard in W10 this year.

Also rescued a butterfly from a spiders web this morning and felt like a hero!

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#2231 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
August 09, 2020, 05:13:21 pm
Snake slithered off across the path from Main Cliff in gorse above Gogarth last week. Reddish brown, inch diameter, quite long. Looked it up later;  female adder I think.

And a lizard at Ramshaw a few weeks ago, underneath the Great Zawn. About 6” long.

gme

• forum hero
#2232 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
August 24, 2020, 01:28:17 pm
Like many on here who are out and about a lot I see a fair bit of wildlife and get quite excited about it. Yesterday was pretty much the pinnacle of my spotting.
Whilst fishing with my youngest we heard a splash upstream of us and then saw a bow wave of water zig zagging around the pool followed by a fish jumping to avoid its pursuer, an otter.
We then got a 6-7 min show as he/she worked its way down the pool until it was no more than 7-8 m away. It then stopped and looked at us before sprinting off back up the pool. It obviously wanted to get past us though as a few minutes later it tried to sneak past under water it’s disguise only ruined by a stream of bubbles. It surfaced 50m downstream.
I have seen otters a few times in rivers and more frequently in the sea but usually at a distance and fleetingly. This was something special.
Luckily we filmed it all. Here a link to a short clip of the bit when it was closest. My Instagram page and those interested you can see the two nice chub we caught. Unsurprisingly the fish had disappeared after this but I can live with that.
Best day fishing ever.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CEPk_tcDgdP/?igshid=1ni1eiquk7mvf

SamT

• forum hero
#2233 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
August 24, 2020, 01:39:26 pm
Sweet. So jealous. Never see a river otter. Only a sea otter.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2234 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
August 24, 2020, 03:03:25 pm
Sam, if it was in the UK, they are the same thing.

Spotted an Osprey at out local fishing loch week before last (Loch Loriston) with what started out as a "I'll just nip to IKEA to grab a collection" at lunchtime had me spotting it, doubling back, heading back toward IKEA, doubling back again as it flew across the loch, finding a place to park and legging it across the dual carriageway to get a closer look and some crappy photos with my phone. Annoyingly I usually carry my DSLR with long lens in the van, but took it oit to fit IKEA stuff in. Still great to see, it made a few half dives, but never caught anything.

SamT

• forum hero
#2235 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
August 24, 2020, 05:02:29 pm
Sam, if it was in the UK, they are the same thing.

Ah - really - never knew that #ignoramus.

OK..never seen one in a river, and only a very fleeting glance at one in the sea in Ireland.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2236 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
August 24, 2020, 05:30:42 pm
I only learned it from a Springwatch special a few years back. All otters in the UK are the same species, some live in salt water (but need fresh water to wash in) and some live in fresh water.

Sea otters are different beasts altogether, massive furry things you get in N America.

SamT

• forum hero
#2237 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
August 24, 2020, 10:06:22 pm
Yeah - actually saw a couple of those in Alaska, just chilling in the harbour doing that whole stones on their belly thang.  Got the impression they're fairly common there as the locals seemed quite dis-interested.

Anyway - still looked like an amazing experience Gav.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 10:31:20 pm by SamT »

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2238 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
August 24, 2020, 11:00:11 pm
I've seen them 3 times, once in the entrance to Loch Broom near Ullapool, once on above mentioned Loch Loriston, and once in Aberdeen Harbour. People see them regularly on the River Don.

Seen evidence in 2 separate places on the coast near me, but no sightings. Thinking of investing in a trail camera.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#2239 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
August 25, 2020, 09:25:53 am
What a fantastic encounter, worth having your swim recked for.  Lovely Chub too

Only otter I've ever seen I squinted at for a while, dismissed as floating debris, looked away for a few seconds, looked back to see it had disappeared, swore.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#2240 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
August 25, 2020, 10:50:25 am
Fantastic Gav. What a treat for J too.

Chris - I saw one in the Don at Dyce when out for an evening run in 2001 at the bottom end of Riverside Drive. 

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#2241 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
August 26, 2020, 10:49:18 am
While up in Northumberland we stayed at a nice place, contained in its own private woodland.

Loads of hares, including one that came up to the front door. One night while out badger-spotting a deer wandered past in the neighbouring field.

No badgers though, sadly - found the setts and tried to stay out past dusk to see some but got caught in a downpour so legged it!

Did the Farne Islands boat trip too, which I'd highly recommend. We were too late for puffins but saw loads of seals.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#2242 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
September 22, 2020, 03:10:01 pm
Completely standard and mundane but there's been some excellent sealing around The Range and Great Orme recently:

:wub:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2243 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
September 22, 2020, 03:21:04 pm
Dolphins in Stonehaven Bay when out for a run last night (they cost me a segment!). Unusual for them to come right in must be fish at the Carron Mouth.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#2244 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
October 12, 2020, 08:45:50 am
Yesterday, we were stood under the crag at Thruscross looking up at the routes. A barn owl appeared at the top and stepped off. It spread its wings wide and hung there, suspended just a few metres above us. "Wow", we exclaimed, "beautiful"! Then the owl released a deluge of stinking liquid shit onto Hamish before gliding triumphantly away across the valley.

I forgot to mention hare's boxing in the field opposite Kilnsey back in August. Never seen it before.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#2245 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
October 13, 2020, 11:13:15 am
On my morning run around Kensal Rise cemetery saw a beautiful big male fox with a splendiferous silver tail, we stopped and stared at one another for a moment.  Then a heron and two cormorant's flying along the grand union canal.  No big deal but still lovely here in W10.

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#2246 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
October 19, 2020, 01:56:13 pm
We get foxes and badgers in the garden every night, and I still love watching them.

Recent quick trip to Leeds resulted in this beauty, it hung around feeding on a cricket pitch for about a week and wasn't at all bothered by people. it frequently wandered within 10ft of us. I have seen hoopoe before, but not in the UK.

IMGL1696 by Tim Russon, on Flickr

IMGL1713 by Tim Russon, on Flickr

IMGL1424 by Tim Russon, on Flickr

IMGL1708 by Tim Russon, on Flickr

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#2247 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
October 19, 2020, 02:01:53 pm
I've also had a good summer for owls locally in the Peak.

Short eared owl

IMGL8547 by Tim Russon, on Flickr

Young Little Owl

IMGL9920 by Tim Russon, on Flickr

Tawny Owl

IMGL8450 by Tim Russon, on Flickr

Barn Owl

IMGL9490-2 by Tim Russon, on Flickr

IMGL9476-2 by Tim Russon, on Flickr

And my first sighting of Long eared owl too

IMGL0173-2 by Tim Russon, on Flickr

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2248 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
October 19, 2020, 02:07:48 pm
Great pics as always. I was working on birding shots over lockdown wandering the neighbourhood, but your's are still a different class.

Hoopoe spotted up here too https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/rare-hoopoe-bird-spotted-at-pittodrie-after-taking-wrong-turn-on-way-to-africa/

About as rare as new silverware at Pittodrie.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 02:14:43 pm by SA Chris »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal