UKBouldering.com

The Lagerstarfish Bike Project (Read 12288 times)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
March 09, 2009, 10:52:15 am
Following the generous offer of this Kinesis Racelight frameset http://cid-3879ec2caef82b33.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/race.jpg
along with various other bits from Dom, I will be building a flatbar road based bike for work, fun and exercise.

Ideally I will be using other peoples unwanted parts to complete the project, but would welcome any advice about what would be worth spending money on.

I haven't got the stuff from Dom yet, so can't tell/show you exactly what I (will) have, but I will definitely be need a set of wheels and tyres, brakes, gears/derailer, flatbar...

So, have any of you leg-shavers got any parts that you need to get rid of for not much money. I can pick up stuff in and around Sheffield and will pay for postage from further away.

I'd also appreciate any pointers to stuff that would be worth buying off ebay.

I'm so out of my depth on this subject that I didn't know how to start, so getting a frame seemed as good a place to set off from as any.

The bike will be used for about 100 mile a month of work journeys around Sheffield and also for snatching the odd hour here and there to do some exercise.

Thanks for your help

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
March 09, 2009, 11:59:40 am
my scrap metal bucket at present has little in the way of road  / hybrid stuff in... and TBH all the stuff in there really is scrap. I've sold all my unwanted MTB components..

I'll have a ferret about, but fatkid and others may have more of what you need..

...Just mentally ferreted... you got PM
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 12:05:32 pm by fatdoc, Reason: ferret time »

chappers

• forum hero
#2 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
March 09, 2009, 12:53:23 pm
i have a stem for sale. it is a deda logo, about 100mm long. fits oversize bars. (i think you may want a mtb one though??).

i have a shimano 105 comple groupset (compact) with a 12-25 block avaliable soon (waiting for my cyclescheme loan - maybe avaliable in 2-3 weeks?). would be looking for offers over £120.

i will also have a set of campag zonda wheels with a shimano freehub. (i think these may be a little over the top for a commuter)

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#3 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
March 09, 2009, 01:22:24 pm
I'm pretty sure I've got a scott stem  - 110mm ish flat for oversize, a couple of chainrings - possibly a 52, no cranks though. I've deffo got at least one flat bar - carbon FSA one - not oversize, possibly another ally one too. I'll have a dig around tonight and see what i can find. I might even have some handlebar grips.

Check out shimano alivio brake lever/8sp shifter pods. Dirt cheap, really reliable and perfect for a commuter.

I recommend going for an 8spd double to minimise on gear tuning faff. Look for a compact chainset (34x50) to cope with the hills too.

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#4 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
March 09, 2009, 01:38:39 pm
Free stem and road bars here if thats of interest.

Also got 105 front mech and Shimano 515 road pedals you can have if you are going to clip in.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#5 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
March 09, 2009, 03:58:28 pm
 :thumbsup:

Cheers for the advice and offers. Dom says he's got various bits and bobs to go with the frame so when it arrives I'll see what I need...

fatkid2000

• junky
#6 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
March 09, 2009, 09:44:54 pm
I've not got much in the ways of spares / scrap metal at the moment. Spare 110mm MTB stem and some roadie handle bars. Afraid the rest of spare have been put on my winter bike.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#7 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
March 09, 2009, 11:11:56 pm
AAAARRGH

For Fuck's Sake,

I've been reading up on this Campag/Shimano thing.

As I read it - campag system components last longer, but shimano stuff is more high tech and more common; probably?

What I don't get is what bits have to be from the same system. Does everything to do with the chain and cogs/deraileur have to be from the same system? What about brakes? Levers? Cables? Lycra?

OK. Obviously I realise that Campag Lycra can't be used together with a Shimano chain group.  ::)

Will second hand Campag parts be better value as they might last longer, or is it better to go Shimano as there is more of it about?

:shrug:

tlr

• forum abuser
    • Myportfolio
#8 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
March 09, 2009, 11:40:02 pm
What about Sram....?

Shimano all the way for a commuting bike, way cheaper, more common and easily replaced. It just works.

You can mix and match to a certain extent, but you'll upset the bike nazis.  :spank:

You'll rarely see second hand campag stuff anyway.

By the way, if you let me now what stuff you still need, I'll keep an eye out on the second hand bike web sites for suitable stuff. I seem to spend an unhealthy amount of time on them anyway.

milksnake

• menacing presence
#9 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
March 10, 2009, 04:40:46 am
just make sure you match the right shifter to the right cassette, you may also get some comtaabilty issues between brands but can usually get away with it. an 8 speed sram shifter should work with a 9 speed shimane derailer as long as you have an 8 speed cassette but perhaps not quite as well as a sram 8 speed would. brakes and levers are fully interchangeable assuming you use the right type for the right brake, i.e dont put a caliper brake with a v brake lever.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#10 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
March 10, 2009, 09:31:23 am
quite how chappers has an entire shimano 105 groupset up for sale i dread to think.. (upgrade from new?)

i'd just have it off him, and then get a wheel set with a shimano compatible hub (even though this means i wont be seling you my wheels).. then you are sorted.. BTW bag off the shimano chain and get a power link one

bigd942

• addict
#11 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
March 10, 2009, 01:59:50 pm
ParcelForce Ref IS6307960, should be with you tomorrow.

Dom

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#12 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
March 11, 2009, 01:08:40 pm
Parcel arrived :bounce:

Either you've forgotton to put the frame in or it doesn't weigh very much...

I'll open it when I get home

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#13 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
March 11, 2009, 03:29:01 pm
From what I read, the shimano 105 groupset that Chappers is able to sell is a rather good product and although its going to cost me actual money I am thinking about having it off him.

Any thoughts on whether splashing out £120ish on this set is a good idea? Is it possible to buy cheaper sets and what will the difference be/feel like?

Also, I'm guessing that the levers won't fit a flat bar so will I have to sourse something else? Simano alivio do seem the thing - will they be compatible with the 105 groupset?

Dom has included a Chorus campag chainset (and bottom bracket), which I assume will be of no use with shimano bits? Shame, as fatdoc has some campag wheels.

Has anyone got any shimano wheels they don't want?

Ta

tlr

• forum abuser
    • Myportfolio
#14 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
March 11, 2009, 03:39:40 pm
My thoughts would be that the 105 groupset would be well worth the money. You will easily be able to flog the STi units (brakes/shifters) if you decide to go for flat bars. However I would also strongly recomend that you give drop bars a go, lots of alternative hand postions and easier for climbing those Sheffield hills; I have bars and stem you can have for nothing.

Chappers groupset should include BB and chainset so you shouldn't need the Campag stuff.

You can certainly get adapters to change Shimano wheels to Campag, I'll check if you can get an adapter for the other way round.

You should be able to pick up a pair of half decent wheels for about £60 if necessary.

tlr

• forum abuser
    • Myportfolio
#15 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
March 11, 2009, 03:43:37 pm
Quick interweb search confirms that a converter kit will cost you about £40, so might be better just to buy some basic wheels (to cope with the lovely potholes), and then buy a nice set of wheels if you fancy it later.

bigd942

• addict
#16 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
March 11, 2009, 03:51:01 pm
the chainset should be ok, you should be fine running shimano 9/10 speed on that, the chains are identical. You can't mix gears as the index distance is different. Some wheels allow a shimano or campag cassette in them just by adding a small spacer for campag.

could be a case over over-advice-itious here, open the box and I think you'll see you've a good base to start from.

Dom

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#17 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
March 11, 2009, 06:51:53 pm
the chainset should be ok, you should be fine running shimano 9/10 speed on that, the chains are identical.

I didn't realise this. I thought the chains would be different. That inspires me to try keep it all a bit cheaper for now.

Cheers for the kit, Dom. You left a pound coin in the box, as if you hadn't done me enough favours already (spent it on a can of over-caffeinated sugary drink company).

I now have - Kinesis Racelight RC frame,
 Chorus 175mm chainset (inc bottom bracket) 39-53 with pedals attached,
 saddle and post,
 stem for standard bars with headset,
 oversize drop bar,
 shoes in my size with cleats,
 good looking cycling jacket in my size,
 pump with bracket,
 rear clip on mudguard,
 loads of bubblewrap,

I need -
 wheels
 brakes
 gears
 front and rear deraileurs
 handlebar (preferably flat, but open to sugestions)

what else will I need?

bigd942

• addict
#18 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
March 11, 2009, 08:45:53 pm
The 105 at £120(ish) seems good value, some things you need to find out though.

Front Mech - braze or band, think that seat tube is 31.8mm diameter so if its a band type it needs to be that size or you need a new front mech, if it's braze on you can get a little adapter for £12 or so.

Chain - would be luck if it fitted length wise , if it and the cassette are in ok nick you may get away with it though, you can run a slightly shorter chain without too many probs. A brand new chain on a worn cassette may skip and this will do your head in, being out of the saddle and having a chain skip could see Largerstarfish Jnr meeting Mr Toptube with tears being the fruit of their encounter.

Brakes - short reach are fine on that frame, long reach are for touring frames that have clearance for fixed mudguards.

Regards bars, go into a bike shop and sit on a few and see what feels best for you then just go for it, try drops, flat and also courier

I had a quick look on ebay and the following bargins are to be had, add a chain, cassette, bar and tyres to this lot (£130 approx) and your sorted.

8speed brakes/shifters £11

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHIMANO-8-SPEED-BIKE-GEAR-TWIST-GRIP-AND-BRAKE-LEVERS_W0QQitemZ260347517001QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR?hash=item260347517001&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

8 speed rear mech £7

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shimano-LX-8-speed-rear-mech-GC-GWO_W0QQitemZ290302093730QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR?hash=item290302093730&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Front mech £15

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/shimano-deore-LX-front-mech-31-8-fit_W0QQitemZ220374547615QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR?hash=item220374547615&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Brakes  £16

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TEKTRO-DUAL-PIVOT-BRAKE-CALIPERS-STANDARD-DROP_W0QQitemZ290301144339QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR?hash=item290301144339&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Wheels - £79 - 36 hole so good and strong

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/f-r-sora-hub-8-9-speed-QR-road-bike-wheels-700c_W0QQitemZ270353711638QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR?hash=item270353711638&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#19 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
March 11, 2009, 09:02:50 pm
Somewhat irreverant given the option you've taken Lagers, but you might have been screwed on the claiming mileage against the expenditure of the bike plan.

I just got some paperwork through for the Cyclte to Work scheme through Sheffield Teaching Hospitals and it indicates that because the bike is effectively owned by your employer and you are essentially renting it from them you are not entitled to claim any expenses against mileage acrued on the bike as the wear and tear is happening against their property (despite the fact that at the end of the period you are for a nominal fee entitled to purchase the bike from your employers). 

Obviously this policy may vary with employers, but the official line is that you are renting the bike for the duration and can optionally purchase at the end of the agreement if employers are happy with it.

Anyway, as I say its irreverant as you've chosen a different route but thought it might provide some reassurance that you didn't end up being dicked by it all.

Can't wait to get my mits on my new steed.

chappers

• forum hero
#20 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
March 11, 2009, 09:35:55 pm
quite how chappers has an entire shimano 105 groupset up for sale i dread to think.. (upgrade from new?)

ha ha, i am upgrading the groupset on my bike! using a ride to work scheme to buy a cheap frame with loads of bling to pimp my ride!

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#21 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
March 11, 2009, 09:37:26 pm
the ebay store high on bikes has some reductions on campag kit

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#22 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
March 16, 2009, 06:04:25 pm
From what I read, the shimano 105 groupset that Chappers is able to sell is a rather good product and although its going to cost me actual money I am thinking about having it off him.

Any thoughts on whether splashing out £120ish on this set is a good idea? Is it possible to buy cheaper sets and what will the difference be/feel like?

Also, I'm guessing that the levers won't fit a flat bar so will I have to sourse something else? Simano alivio do seem the thing - will they be compatible with the 105 groupset?

Dom has included a Chorus campag chainset (and bottom bracket), which I assume will be of no use with shimano bits? Shame, as fatdoc has some campag wheels.
Hi lagers,

Has anyone got any shimano wheels they don't want?

Ta
I'm running 105 on my road bile and it is absolutly brill. It may be a bit high spec for a commuter/ bit of fun bike

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#23 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
March 16, 2009, 10:04:39 pm
I'm scrounging as hard as I can to find kit that is less high spec and more free, but may well have to resort to spending money as getting stuff to match up in this modern age of indexed gears. It was so much simpler when you just had to tweak the lever until the gears made the right lack of noise and needed the right amount of force to push round...

chappers

• forum hero
#24 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
April 03, 2009, 07:01:06 pm
105 complete grouppo avaliable now!!! ebay if no one is interested....

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#25 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
April 03, 2009, 08:14:32 pm
hmm, possibly chappers, exact specification and desired price please...

...in return i'll (if wanted) donate a vgc mixed sora/tiagra set to the lsfbp

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#26 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
April 05, 2009, 07:47:26 pm
105 complete grouppo avaliable now!!! ebay if no one is interested....

Cash shortage and incoming child (= wife not working = future cash shortage) are preventing me from taking you up on your generous offer.

Still looking for unwanted road bike parts...

chappers

• forum hero
#27 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
April 05, 2009, 09:44:57 pm
im trying to think of other bits that i have begging.
a stem for sure, 100mm for over sized bars.

ill have a look mate.

the 105 groupset: (this has just been removed from my road bike - its in great condition, loads and loads of life left in it).
sti levers.
brakes.
front and rear gear.
12-25 sprockets.
compact 50/34 chainset (wear from my heals rubbing on them)
english BB.
chain with KMC link (plus one spare link for your saddle pack).
all cables and casings replaced recently but the buyer would maybe want to get a new set as the have been cut to fit my frame...

so pretty much the whole thing!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#28 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
May 01, 2009, 09:27:27 pm
LagerBike MK1 had it's first outing yesterday. At the moment it is a rude concoction of bits dragged out of skips and a front wheel from my Uraguyan Neighbour. The rear tyre held air for about 2 miles (that's 2 miles at a cost of FUCK ALL per mile which equals next to nothing). The difference in speed/efficiency between a skinny wheeled road thing and my fat tyred mountain monster was a joy to experience. Today I spent actual money on an inner tube.

I am reluctant to fit any of the junk I have salvaged on to the lovely frame from Big Dom until I am sure it will not cause a nasty crash.

I have recreated a traditional 10 speed set up with friction shifters and drop bars with those touring type brakes (levers on flat and drop). Front tyre is a teeny weeny 20C, Rear is 32C. Seat and stem are off a mountain bike. It doesn't look like the type of bike that anyone would want to steal.

Duma

• forum hero
#29 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
May 01, 2009, 10:01:18 pm
Front tyre is a teeny weeny 20C, Rear is 32C.

sweeeet.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#30 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
May 01, 2009, 10:04:25 pm
That's pretty much spot on, but my push bike has a bigger engine and I haven't got disc brakes.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#31 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
May 01, 2009, 10:06:56 pm
So more like this?

or this:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#32 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
May 01, 2009, 10:09:37 pm
somewhere in between the two, but with a big fat bald man on top - like those comedy fat blokes on little mopeds you see in France

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#33 Re: The Lagerstarfish Bike Project
May 01, 2009, 10:12:39 pm
Gonna need more seats for a Scunny trip.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal