UKBouldering.com

OMG.. Channel 4 Red Riding! (Read 11350 times)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#25 Re: OMG.. Channel 4 Red Riding!
March 11, 2009, 08:46:34 am
Hmmm. I seem to just be going around disagreeing with everyone today. Not to worry!

Finally got round to watching the first part last night. Quite good I thought. Very well shot and acted (I thought Bean was pretty good) and refreshingly uncompromising but the plot seemed a bit obvious and basic.

There also didn't seem to me to be enough depth to the characters. Not because of the performances but because there wasn't enough scene setting (for want of a better expression). I can see why as there was obviously a lot to cram in in a relatively short time but I felt like I was skimming the surface of most of the characters.

Having not read the books I can only assume that both of these issues are not issues in the original format as (from what I gather) the brilliance of them is in the description of both characters and places, thus the plot is secondary anyway. Writing this down just proves to me that I probably should have read the books first (as I knew really) and why I don't watch a lot of tv.

Anyway, only a minor moan and I did like the overall feel of it. The grimness of "The North" and the constant drinking and smoking by everyone, everywhere etc was captured really well and the second part looks like it will be better still. I will certainly be watching it anyway.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#26 Re: OMG.. Channel 4 Red Riding!
March 11, 2009, 04:42:37 pm
I really enjoyed it; the best compliment I can pay is that it didn't feel overlong - which is unusual with me for 2hr telly dramas.  I've never understood why, when all of the resources of Hollywood generally can't sustain interest for more than 100 minutes, tv people think that 2 hours is the right length for a routine drama.  It left me with a few unresolved questions, but I guess ambiguity is the nature of these things.

I thought Sean Bean was pretty good too, not so much what he said but because of his sheer physical presence.  He seemed to radiate an incredible malevolent solidity - as though he'd been hewn from the evil equivalent of a neutron star (must be those tight polo neck sweaters).  Although if Yorkshire really was that grim I'm amazed that my parents could bear to raise a child!  I kept thinking "Bloody 'ell, it were grim up North in the 70s.  Thank God I never lived there... wait a minute... I did!"

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#27 Re: OMG.. Channel 4 Red Riding!
March 12, 2009, 07:53:54 pm
Part 2 on tonight, in an hour in fact.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal