UKBouldering.com

Downhill Domination, "dropping in" (Read 281309 times)

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
lucky you :) im in font in the rain, but a new bike to play on, do you want6 those forks

ianv

• forum abuser
Yep if you can wait till sept. Or if we meet up in the pyranees I could take them then and pay you when I get back to the uk. If you sell them before though I won't hate you!

Just looked at the trail map here, 10 km downhill runs with 980 m of descent into Val d'isere  :tease:

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
Yep if you can wait till sept. Or if we meet up in the pyranees I could take them then and pay you when I get back to the uk. If you sell them before though I won't hate you!

Just looked at the trail map here, 10 km downhill runs with 980 m of descent into Val d'isere  :tease:

I hate you, its pouring in font, and I want to go 10k downhilling

peewee

• obsessive maniac
  • Wilko Baggins
  • If in doubt, Lock it out (Dynamically)

Stop rubbing it in!!!!! although as i look out the window i can see a warm round yellow thing in the sky.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
Engine management system on van blew up on trip home.... I got her home... Just...o :(

Got about 12gB of files to look at from gopros!!!

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
Engine management system on van blew up on trip home.... I got her home... Just...o :(

Got about 12gB of files to look at from gopros!!!

bugger hey, least your home, and by the way I have about 20 gig to add to your 12 :)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
here is the first

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
here is the first

nice, is that paul? see he took the new double, doesnt look as bad there than it does when you turn the corner and face it

Oli

• obsessive maniac
What's the knowledge for planning a first time alps trip?

Is morzine the best place to go? Do you need much local knowledge to find unofficial runs, or is there enough marked stuff to keep you busy for a week?

Anything else that's useful to know would be greatly appreciated too...

underground

• forum hero
Personal experience... Stayed in Les Gets in an uber chalet and had a superb time, apres-ride consisted of drinking beer by the shallow lake in the sunshine!

Morzine is 'at the bottom of the hill' so has a whole load of lifts at disposal to get uplift, and hence easier to return to your digs late in the day - compared to where we stayed in Les Gets which although the chalet was 'ride out / ride back in' meant quite the uphill slog if you miss the last lift of the day from lower down the valley (i.e. Morzine).

Also depends on what you aim to do riding wise - if it was DH only the Chavannes and Bike Park in Les Gets are good, other side of the valley gives you the Mt. Chery, and TBH you could probably spend the week sessioning these if you wanted to get dialled on the jumps and turns. Morzine also has the Pleney, I didn't ride it but I'm told is worn out and hardcore.

We also had a day starting in the Les Lindarets valley, 30 mins drive from Les Gets, and a quick lift up the hill gets you down into Chatel in no time - big DH runs, slopestyle courses, 'prone' zipwire across the valley, etc...

Morzine has the advantage of the Supermorzine / Zorre lift which seems to get you high up and effectively into Switzerland really quickly - I did a superb mountain enduro day starting and ending in Morzine (via the Col de Coux) and we rode out of and back into the chalet (via the Bar Robinson serving 9% Mutzig beer in Morzine).

No other experience of the Alps for biking I'm afraid, but I'd suggest that for a first time trip, you'll have your socks knocked off by just turning up in the Portes Du Soleil and buying a lift pass / map and just going riding.

Enjoy. I bloody loved every single minute.

Anything else? Morzine has a bigger Carrefour than LG. If your digs don't have facilities, wash your bike at the bike wash.... Watch the junction in the middle of Tangines and definitely visit the Super U - most impressive supermarket I've ever been in!

ianv

• forum abuser
Personal experience... Stayed in Les Gets in an uber chalet and had a superb time, apres-ride consisted of drinking beer by the shallow lake in the sunshine!

ogling prepubescent girls  :spank: pack the dirty raincoat !

Anyway folks, tignes/al d'isere was ace and free. Les arcs/st Foy was overrated and a bit shit, currently in orcieres which is top and sunny (13km run with 1300m descent and hundreds of switchbacks among the highlights). Pyranees next week  :dance1:

Mark Lloyd

• menacing presence
Don't you have a job to get back too ?

ianv

• forum abuser
Don't you have a job to get back too ?

Back to work sept 3rd  :ras: pyranees tomorrow  :smart:

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
avec le tour de france ?????

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
you have seen him in climbing movies, now check out mr unclesomebody on his first downhill in the alps

ianv

• forum abuser
Andorra now, Valnord is ace :punk: . Major potential nnfn on sat, Felix crashe and got his foot stuck at a mad angle between his fork and the wheel, I was convinced he had broken it but thank the lord for kids rubber bones :boxing:

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
 :great:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#894 Re: Downhill Domination, "dropping in"
August 21, 2012, 05:45:13 pm

Jono Jones at the Val d'Isere world cup, July 2012

Milford Cubicle

• player
#895 Re: Downhill Domination, "dropping in"
August 22, 2012, 10:58:20 am
His ^ brother

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Matt-Jones-July-Rain-2012.html

I used to ride with them at Woburn sands, they where very good from quite young...

x

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#896 Re: Downhill Domination, "dropping in"
August 22, 2012, 05:26:15 pm

That dirt jump cum step down at the end is quite large!

Milford Cubicle

• player
#897 Re: Downhill Domination, "dropping in"
August 22, 2012, 08:15:10 pm
That's Woburn, they like their jumps big there...

x

ianv

• forum abuser
#898 Re: Downhill Domination, "dropping in"
August 29, 2012, 11:11:35 am
Could this be fatdocs's next purchase??

It would go nicely with that gold TLD helmet  :lol:

Back now, two broken bikes and a lot less money. The pyranees were excellent and there is some great riding to be done there (in nice weather). Weather sucks here though, has it been like today all summer?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#899 Re: Downhill Domination, "dropping in"
August 29, 2012, 11:17:03 am
another weds after work ride probably out the window... spikes on  :(

oh...

look at this

mega AM?

yes please

http://www.chainreactionhub.com/mtb/360-first-look-nukeproof-2013-mountain-bikes

i have ordered a helmet Ian!!!

it has a gold bit on it.... but its a Kali avatar carbon.. lightest made. found it in a sale on bike tart  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal