UKBouldering.com

Transgenic - Hyning Wood (Read 4136 times)

nik at work

• forum hero
Transgenic - Hyning Wood
March 16, 2009, 03:30:41 pm
Can anyone provide definitive (or at least confident) answers to the following two quesions:
1) Where does it start?
2) Where does it finish?

My thinking is it starts at the diagonal slot to the left of the obvious crimpy rail just right of where it goes all chossy, broken and perma-damp. You then trundle rightwards and then.... Well when I looked last week the end was damp so I worked out a sequence in my mind whereby you came over with your left to get the obvious pocket then go with your right to the crack to the right of the pocket then up to the moss. However today it was all dry and chalked up and the sequence that worked so very well in my head seemed a bit on the hard side of nails. However the chalk suggested that you get the pocket with your right, then use the hold in the crack to the left of the pocket wth your left hand to move up then go again with the left to a bit of the top that was suspiciously free from moss (and the moves were posible). I'm assuming the second option is the finish but if someone could confirm this that would be bo.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#1 Re: Transgenic - Hyning Wood
March 16, 2009, 03:43:37 pm
The end bit sounds familiar. Bit nasty and very tenuous couple of moves. Bit by the tree was a tad reachy and tricky too from what i remember. Doylo will probably remember better.
The block at the end is a bit of a pain from what i remember.

nik at work

• forum hero
#2 Re: Transgenic - Hyning Wood
March 16, 2009, 03:53:18 pm
Cheers, yeah it's hard work stopping a cheek dab on that block. Have you done it Adam? Was well chalked today so I thought it might have been your gang that called in there once you got bored of crushing Trowbarrow (G told me you were up that way).

Ace line, Moreau's looks good also. Doesn't look any easier though....

How did you get with things at Trowbarrow?

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#3 Re: Transgenic - Hyning Wood
March 16, 2009, 04:02:17 pm
Err, not my chalk! Though keen to get back on it.

Trowbarrow was hot and i was knackered. Excuses excuses. Can get into vitruvian from iron man so it should be on tomorrow. Hopefully satch it up! Jordan's beta....  Worryingly though i fell off the top twice getting friendly with the stand   :shrug:

Since wanting to get on it way back last year, that was the first time the crimp has been dry to try it. Great problem.

nik at work

• forum hero
#4 Re: Transgenic - Hyning Wood
March 16, 2009, 04:09:56 pm
Yeah it's a great problem (IM). Was interesting to see Jordans beta, highlighted my blinkered approach to the problem, although I don't think his sequence is any easier for me as it gets very stretched.
Good luck tomorrow, I'll probably be back up there later in the week.

Nigel

• forum hero
#5 Re: Transgenic - Hyning Wood
March 16, 2009, 08:09:08 pm
Can anyone provide definitive (or at least confident) answers to the following two quesions:
1) Where does it start?
2) Where does it finish?

My thinking is it starts at the diagonal slot to the left of the obvious crimpy rail just right of where it goes all chossy, broken and perma-damp. You then trundle rightwards and then.... Well when I looked last week the end was damp so I worked out a sequence in my mind whereby you came over with your left to get the obvious pocket then go with your right to the crack to the right of the pocket then up to the moss. However today it was all dry and chalked up and the sequence that worked so very well in my head seemed a bit on the hard side of nails. However the chalk suggested that you get the pocket with your right, then use the hold in the crack to the left of the pocket wth your left hand to move up then go again with the left to a bit of the top that was suspiciously free from moss (and the moves were posible). I'm assuming the second option is the finish but if someone could confirm this that would be bo.

Nik, you are correct on both counts. The problem starts sitting at the diagonal slot and finishes with the pocket in your right hand, left hand to break. The easiest sequence for this end bit revolves around getting your left hand to the RH end of the "good" slopey edge, matching your left heel to it, getting your RH up to the pocket (slightly wierd deadpoint move as I recall) then rocking up on your heel using two finger crack hold as an intermediate. And yes, it is hard not to dab the block!

Also worth mentioning that the "suspiciously clean bit" of the break should not be moss free as I believe that it may be protected and I'm pretty sure the landowners made a request that no veg be touched. Greg will probably know more. There is no need for it to be clean as the moss just made the jug a bit comfier and fluffier, in fact more holdable if anything! Please do not add to the moss removal.

P.S. Isn't it time people got on Texas Hold 'Em? Word on the grapevine reaches me that Vitruvian Man is a consensus "class problem". I thought Texas was just as good if not better. There is beta on an old thread somewhere too. And for an 8b-ish project, traverse the undercut feature into it. Wow!

nik at work

• forum hero
#6 Re: Transgenic - Hyning Wood
March 16, 2009, 08:16:32 pm
Cheers Nigel, you have described exactly my sequence.

I didn't clear any moss, it was like that when I got there honest guv, and it certainly wasn't immaculately clean. It was just a bit chalky and had a small donkey mark below it when I arrived which suggested it was the point to head for.

Texas Hold 'Em scares me but Vitruvian is indeed well brown (assuming brown means really very good)....

Nigel

• forum hero
#7 Re: Transgenic - Hyning Wood
March 16, 2009, 08:22:02 pm
Texas Hold 'Em scares me but Vitruvian is indeed well brown (assuming brown means really very good)....

Yes "brown" is a pretty high compliment all told, thanks. In what way does Texas scare you (the problem rather than the place!)?

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#8 Re: Transgenic - Hyning Wood
March 16, 2009, 09:11:24 pm
1) Where does it start?
2) Where does it finish?

P.S. Isn't it time people got on Texas Hold 'Em? Word on the grapevine reaches me that Vitruvian Man is a consensus "class problem". I thought Texas was just as good if not better. There is beta on an old thread somewhere too. And for an 8b-ish project, traverse the undercut feature into it. Wow!

Ted did Vitruvian on Sunday, again, another happy customer.
Greg's low start only makes it an even better problem.

nik at work

• forum hero
#9 Re: Transgenic - Hyning Wood
March 16, 2009, 09:37:12 pm
Intimidate is probably a better word, although the starting hold seems very willing to bite off my fingers.
Seems very hard to me.

Agree with Adam Re: Iron Man, a positive addition to an already great problem. Are we all feeling the love?

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#10 Re: Transgenic - Hyning Wood
March 16, 2009, 09:39:05 pm

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#11 Re: Transgenic - Hyning Wood
March 17, 2009, 12:43:15 am
Texas is an amazing problem but I just can't seem to figure out the V3/4 top out problem even in isolation  :spank:  :-[ Can do all the 'hard bit' though and flail about on that last ledge for ages  :'(

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal