UKBouldering.com

after some mobile tefelon contract knowledge (Read 1948 times)

philo

• forum hero
ok so im after some information, anyone had any experience on the legalities of cancelling a mobile phone contract?
my sister wants to cancel as she doesn't feel its right for her, its only been a day and when she walked in to cancel they didn't allow it. they just give her a newer phone, as she complained about not being able to send texts and getting none. she got sold a faulty phone, which they knew about! but now she just wants to cancel the whole thing.
anyone shed some light on this?
im sure there must be some consumer rights that allows you to cancel if unhappy after a short period of time?

its with orange by the way

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Now then.

I actually manage an orange shop myself so feel pretty confident in assisting you.

Orange retail ie orange shops don't do a cooling off/grace period. It's states this fact on the contract that your sister signed. The only reason it could be returned was if the signal was crap. It's a really sore subject that can't be adjusted truth be told. If she has signed the contract then she is stuffed. Basically you can't return your phone if you simply change your mind. It seems harsh but orange retail removed the 14 day money back policy in 2007 and have not been able to accept unwanted phones back since then. 

Was it from an orange store or and independent like phones for you or car phone whore house? If it was from one of them she may have more chance.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 10:44:34 pm by Golt, Reason: Adding more info »

philo

• forum hero
an orange store, so she is stuffed. i guess you must get alot of angry people then! she rang them up and she has come to accept it. she changed the phone for a nicer one so not all sour.  thanks for the quick reply tho!

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
No bother mate, hope I helped.

It does cause a lot of headaches but I make sure anyone who walks out my door with a phone knows they can't bring it back if they change their minds, saves a lot more grief in the long run.

Do you mind if I ask exactly which orange shop she got it from?

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
I thought under consumer law it was illegal not to have a re-think period of a number of days when signing any mid term contract?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
why doesn't she take it back saying the signal is crap then?
will they come round to her her house to check?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Can't fault that logic!

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
She could try Jim's idea, there is no real way of checking the signal as it is such a big variable.

bob

• player
er whilst we're on the subject of phones, coverage and contract does anyone have any knowledge on good 3G deals where you get a phone with unlimited web facilities (fair usage blah blah) that has decent coverage in North Wales?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I ended up getting an N95 with 300 minutes text/talk to any network, 300 minutes to the same network unlimited (fair-usage) web from 3.  All for £25 a month (18 month contract).

Not sure about how coverage stacks up in North Wales though.

Great phone, the wireless is a hugely useful thing, as you can just jump on any open network and not worry about the fair-usage.  Tons of other funky things to do with it (see various posts here), so even if you don't go with 3 I can highly recommend the phone (can't comment on the N96 or other newer models though).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal