UKBouldering.com

Natural Traverse, Almscliff (Read 2125 times)

etjoset

• addict
  • Twiddle that knob
Natural Traverse, Almscliff
February 20, 2009, 11:38:23 am
What is the consensus for the accepted starting point for this problem at 7b+? Steve Dunning's guide says "from the nose, traverse the sloping lip rightwards..." The ACD guide also says "from the nose" but gives it V10 (could mean anything from 7b+ to 7c+). But which bit of the nose? Over on Yorkshiregrit.com there's a comment suggesting that, at 7b+, most people start on an obvious jug half way up the steep bit of the slope (above the bit of brick wall).

http://www.yorkshiregrit.com/problem.html?id=almscliff__natural_traverse#comments

Any opinions?

I don't want to tick this and then have to invest in some tippex when the crag police catch up with me.

rootask

• regular
#1 Re: Natural Traverse, Almscliff
February 20, 2009, 11:53:44 am
i don't know of anyone who starts left of the big jug, but UTG's the man to ask..its a quality problem though and well worth seeking out  :thumbsup:

andy_e

• forum hero
#2 Re: Natural Traverse, Almscliff
February 24, 2009, 10:00:34 am
Well said Roo, this problem is ace and I need to give it a proper go sometime soon! It's just a short add-on to sloper patrol but it makes it much harder! It had cakes of chalk on it this weekend though (along with most other things...)

uptown

• junky
#3 Re: Natural Traverse, Almscliff
March 05, 2009, 09:10:48 am
What is the consensus for the accepted starting point for this problem at 7b+?
I don't want to tick this and then have to invest in some tippex when the crag police catch up with me.

There are no 'cliff rules - just variations on a theme, and I'm the local Bobby now.
I think I saw you there etjo and answered your question, but if not either start is acceptable for 7b+.
Once you've done it add on the sitter from the keel start for an easy 7c tick, or accept the full Swanny challenge.

etjoset

• addict
  • Twiddle that knob
#4 Re: Natural Traverse, Almscliff
March 05, 2009, 12:28:22 pm
Thanks for this information. Yes, I suspect you did indeed answer my question at the crag last week. I initially thought that this was going to be quite easy for 7b+ but having now fallen off the very last move up the blunt arete at the end no less than three times in a row, I'm now beginning to change my mind. Still, the quality makes up for the frustration. Cheers.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 12:55:03 pm by etjoset »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal