UKBouldering.com

anyone live in dorset more importantly portland ??? (Read 2625 times)

highonair

• regular
Hi guys im due to be having my 1st out door sesh tom but were concerned about the weather was wondering if anyone can say what the weather is like in the area, cant allways trust the reoports?

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
I'd give it a shot and hope the micro climate pulls through like last weekend. We drove through shit mist to a clear coast and then enjoyed 2 primo days. I imagine if there is a bit of a breeze and no rain it will be in fine condition?

I would highly recommend you hit the boulder fields and try some of the following:

Rocky & Diesel, Cat Killer, Nu Breed, Hope Slide, Hard Labour, Relativity, Streamline and on the block near to Cavity Search... The Lip Trav, The crack, The arete all 3 are gems  8)

milksnake

• menacing presence
just got back, the weather was lovely, unfortunatly my hangover wasn't, was out celebrating my exam results :pissed:
should be ok tomorrow i expect, what do the reports say?

highonair

• regular
The weather was fantastic in the end, had a great day climbed v0 v1 and a v2 so im well happy for my 1st outdoor boulder session cant wait to get back, that crack imo shouldn be v0 but thats prob cos i couldn do it lol im gonna have it when i go back though  ;D

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
Were you trying it from standing or sitting? Did it from standing and thought the sitter is at least V3...but to be fair, some of the V4's were 20 minute sieges!  :-[

tubbs

• regular
The weather was fantastic in the end, had a great day climbed v0 v1 and a v2 so im well happy for my 1st outdoor boulder session cant wait to get back, that crack imo shouldn be v0 but thats prob cos i couldn do it lol im gonna have it when i go back though  ;D

Once you've sussed out the art of jamming, it's easy. Might just be V1.

highonair

• regular
yeah i was doing it from a sit start got the first two jams but movin the foot to the triangle shaped ledge was spitting the right hand jam, think there might be a small lip i little higher for another sequence of jams before reaching the lip to mantle i got the lip in 3 moves but was too low to get the other hand on, the guy i watched do it has arms like a ape so think i need to look for another move.

I thought the place was great though and there is plenty to go at i bought a decent guide yesterday with the whole of portland for all climbing, planning on getting over there again on the 15th march to give it another go  :great:

DylanThomas

Im heading down with the club 13th-15th, does anybody no the what to expect with the weather, staying at the old lighthouse,   :read: what should i try as a newbie to the arts of bouldering. jamming sounds fun. 

highonair

• regular
Best thing to do is get a guide book cos for the 1st time even with a book it took us a while to find the boulderfield as there are so many rocks about and its very over grown, but there are the low V grade classics like jo's arete, rocky and diesel, the anvil has a few problems in the low grades one of which is easy "Hammertime" the anvil was a hard V1 i thought and couldnt get past the middle of the boulder, "Breaking rocks" is a ok problem though a little sharp to get off the ground,

further down is the halfway house boulder and has two V0's which look good, but the place is full of problems, personally i thought it was great, have fun hope the weather is good for you, ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal