UKBouldering.com

Boardman Hybrid Urban Comp '08 - good idea for a fat bumbly? (Read 26923 times)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Having got into cycling to work and using the bike for work journeys using a knackard old thing I found in a skip, I am now contemplating taking advantage of the cycle2work scheme and spending actual money on a machine this year.
Apart from riding in and around town I'd also like to start doing some longer rides on the roads for exercise/fun - I don't get on well with drop handle bars anymore due to back/neck problems, so a hybrid type bike looks good to me.

Having ridden road bikes in the past, I've really noticed how much energy is wasted by riding a fat tyred mountainish bike on the roads. Will a hybrid be significantly more efficient whilst still being reasonably solid?

After a bit of research I found that Halfords will do the 08 Boardman Hybrid Urban Comp Bike for £350 on the bike to work scheme, so I'll pay less than that and it'll be taken out of my wages monthly.

Will such a bike last well on the potholed shite that is Sheffield's road system? Will it be suitable for doing the odd hour or two round The Peak on roads to get me lean and fit?

Is there a better/cheaper/longerlasting option?

What are your thoughts, bicycle people?

Thanks

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
halfords aren't the only company doing bike2work; they'll get any other manufacturer's bike too.

with flat bars limiting your hand positions you'll soon grow to hate that buzzy aluminium fork - for your budget a cro-mo steel fork would be more forgiving

and those mechanical disc brakes may look the part, but for the road decent non-discs work adequately

the example you desire isn't bad, however i think you could get a better bike for your money

unless you've fallen for it already in which case anyone elses comments will just annoy you  :P

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
unless you've fallen for it already in which case anyone elses comments will just annoy you 

Not at all, I'm taking my time with this.

I really have no idea about a lot of stuff to do with bikes and am rellying on internet searches for most of my knowledge.

I hear you on the brakes advice. Never had discs before and always felt ok with my braking; and the fucked up bike that I use now has bent wheels that make the brakes very ineffective.

I'd appreciate any suggestions about alternative bikes/shops.

Ta

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

I'd appreciate any suggestions about alternative bikes/shops.

Ta

Search for participating outlets, aside from Halfords, in Sheffield both JE James and Langsett participate.  Got a quote last week from the latter, very friendly and helpful (more so than when I've been to the former).

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
The scheme that my employer has subscribed to specifies Halfords, but I'm getting used to being lied to so will check if I'm limited to them.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
The scheme that my employer has subscribed to specifies Halfords, but I'm getting used to being lied to so will check if I'm limited to them.

Halfords will order you any bike you want....from JE James!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass

Halfords will order you any bike you want....from JE James!

Ahh, I see!

I hadn't understood that.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Worth avoiding Halfords if you can, for service and backup if nothing else. Their's is second to nothing.

webbo

• forum hero
riding a hybrid will be like bouldering in approach shoes.yes you can climb but its hard work.if its right that anything you want out of the halfords range will come from j.e.james.nip in to james and get them to size you up,look for something specific for sportifs or touring they will have a less aggressive/aero postion than your usual road bike.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Sounds like a slippery slope to lycra and massive thighs to me lagers....... ;)

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
For commuting and riding around town, i reckon you can't beat a flat bar road bike. Sharper steering, better braking and far more comfortable for those not used to riding on drops.

I had a go on the top of the line Boardman hybrid and it was very nice. I think evans are doing a special on some of their flat bar road bikes and definitely participate in the bikes2work scheme.

bigd942

• addict
You can buy anything from any cycle shop, just depends how flexible your workplace are, I'm lucky in that our place has an accountant that cycles so he's totally up for up. Spend the ££ on good tyres, you'll never regret it, 23mm>25mm are prob best in round a city, something like the Vittoria Rubino Pro are fine, £16 each or something, and on the back you'll want 12>25 or 12>28 - it's a double I can see in the pics but a compact chainset may be better for round sheffield, saw a Boardman once and they looked good. I suspect the Boardman bike will be well thoughout so can't see you having much to worry about, Chris was well into his gear and hence formed the Secret Squirrel Club for the track team, can't see him putting his name to anything shabby.
The Planet X Kaffenback or the basic Ribble bikes are good value as well but your talking more ££. I've a good condition Kinesis Racelight frame sitting in the shed that'd be free to good home, fork, stem and handlebar on it and I've a Chorus chainset and Time pedals I think as well, it a compact frame so although I'm 6'3" it'd be ok if your 5'10" or so I reckon, wouldn't take much to make it a runner.

Dom

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
Popped in to JE James earlier for a chat about bikes.

I need to think about stuff like mudguards (not got them at the mo and have a very wet arse now) and pannier rack if I'm going to persist in using the bike for most of my work journeys (rucksack whilst cycling isn't very comfortable for more than a short spin).

Re my budget
I book in about 100 miles a month for car use. If I use my bike and get 20p per mile, that comes to £20/month - which is £240 over the year - £240 of gross pay is worth nearly £350 via motivano/cycletowork (according to http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/employee,calculator.htm). I like the idea of work paying me as much in milage as they take out in salary sacrifice.
That's not taking account of maintenance costs of course; and any money saved will be cash in my wife's pocket.
This £350 would just cover the cost of the lovely looking Boardman bike - but with no mudguards, panniers, bells, whistles etc. All that shit would reduce performance, but if I was after pure performance I wouldn't be getting a hybrid (I hear you Webbo).
At JEJ we looked at the Claude Butler Urban 100 '08 for £160. Add better tyres (like you say Dom), pannier, rack, lights, better lock and it was still well under the cost of the sexy-but-basic Boardman.

The idea of using a free frame and putting together my own machine does have a certain appeal... as does buying a decent 2nd hand machine (although no tax/NI relief).

This decision will take some time I think.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
imho don't believe a word that JEJ tell you

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
For commuting and riding around town, i reckon you can't beat a flat bar road bike. Sharper steering, better braking and far more comfortable for those not used to riding on drops.

Could I get a second hand road/touring bike, put a flat bar on it and have a reasonable ride?
I'm thinking that this will give me more of an idea about whether/how I want to invest bigger money  :-\

So; Halfords are crap and JEJ can't be trusted. What's wrong with the world today?  :shrug:

bigd942

• addict
a flat bar bike would be ideal, most who ride the drops do so just cause it's old kit the've made into a hack, the RoadRat type build is good, but would go for gears, single speed has it's place but not round anywhere hilly

http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/bikes/roadrat/flat_bar/

here's the frameset I mentioned earlier, could be built into a flatbar easy enough. The SKS RaceBlades are a good mudguard that fit road bikes without mudguard eyelets, just cable tie on or you can tape them on and leave them.

http://cid-3879ec2caef82b33.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/race.jpg

on the service side, a chain and rear block should last a year or two (12,000 miles approx) prob around £50 for both if shimano, and tyres depending how good you are on them, should get 8 months or so - you'll learn the roads and start to avoid all the bumps etc, use a quick link on the chain and clean it every month, soak in an old 2litre milk jar with some petrol, then re lube with a good oil, finish line cross country wet I find the best. Carry a few of the disposable rubber gloves as well, come in handy. Everything else should be ok, brake blocks should last 12months in a city as well
Depends how you are on the bike, would look into any insurance you have as well to ensure your covered, CTC do a good scheme for ride to work so worth thinking about.

Dom

« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 08:04:39 pm by bigd942 »

fatkid2000

• junky
IMO Race-blades are a pile of shit - especially on shit roads - if you need / want a dry arse try and buy a bike with full mudguards. I use to run a winter bike with blades and they were awful : rubbing on the wheel / frame - I just couldn't get them to fit properly. Others will probably disagree. I've now got a bike with full guards and the difference is unbelievable.

bigd942

• addict

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
have a look at edinburgh bike co-op, not necessarily to buy, just their hybrid section is centred around your budget.

Also wiggle

if only you'd consider doubling your budget....ah

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
Could I get a second hand road/touring bike, put a flat bar on it and have a reasonable ride?
I'm thinking that this will give me more of an idea about whether/how I want to invest bigger money  :-\

You'll probably need to change the gear/brake levers when converting from drops to flat, but there are plenty of deals on chainreaction/ebay.

As you say lagers, spend as little money as possible at first and just see if you like it before committing to anything more expensive. You'll also have a better idea of what to get when you do spend some money.

I picked up a brand new flat bar road bike (no name chinese import) with shimano gears and brakes off ebay for £120 about 6 months ago. It was really good, but sadly got stolen, even after i'd sprayed the frame bright pink!

I'll have a gander on ebay if i get the chance and see if i can come up with anything.

BB

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
giant crs 3.0 city hybrid ticks all the boxes

..not very inspiring though

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
i am sad...

went to local halfords and the carrera gryphon flat bar was alongside the boardman offerings, all at marked down prices

now if you went for this you could also have it fitted out with mudguards and a rack,and still be within budget

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
I too have looked at that carrera gryphon flat bar (v brakes) in Halfords .

What's your opinion on the bike? I've had a read of this thread and stuff like this and others which are relevantish.

I've been checking out ebay for 2nd hand tourers/racers/hybrids as per BB's suggestion.

It is all so confusing  :shrug:

I do appreciate the advice you guys have to offer  :thumbsup:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
I don't know what size you are lagers (fnarrrrr!) but how about something like these...

6 ft tall, 33" leg

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
If you're feeling adventurous...

Single speed? In Sheffield?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I keep dropping into this thread to see if they've persuaded you to up your budget to £2k yet lagers. It's only a matter of time.  ;)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
Can you lend me a couple of grand in the next couple of weeks, Jaz? I can pay you back at BoE base rate minus 1%...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Try Sloper I hear he's been earning a few quid recently.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
:agree:

Sorry to come into this so late..

Right

www.stanleyfearns.co.uk

ring them up. go see them. get good advice, buy bike, ride bike

Voila!

it's like getting the good service that one used to get in a shop.. honest!

(no, i'm not on commision)

chappers

• forum hero
their pics on the site look odd? on some of the willier bikes they have what looks like a mix of campag and shimano equpment??

cant you just get an on-one pompy and be done with it. strong legs if you rode single about sheffield i bet!
charge make a bike (mixer?) with a shimano hub gear maybe 5speed that looks nice, a guy rides the opposite way to me every day on one with mudguards and rack. and they are british (obv made in the far east...)

edit:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
Thanks to bigd942 I will be starting with a frame plus some other bits and building a road eating super machine for as little money as I can. The idea of re-using someones unwanted parts to do my work journeys has a certain appeal (not to mention the fact that my Lycra budget will be that much higher as a result).

So, I'll be abandoning this thread and starting another trying to scrounge any parts/advice that I might need.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
amazing value for the price as it gets you into full suspension-dom, review

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Woohoo! That's the one I have just ordered soapy, it's 6 weeks until it's back in stock though but will be worth the wait hopefully.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
If that doesn't get rid of the final remains of that "humdrum" from alst year, nothing will.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Humdrum is officially on it's way out now Chris, thanks to a return to climbing, less boozing, healthier eating and not having to deal with the inlaws any more. Sweet.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal