UKBouldering.com

Cape Town (Read 3215 times)

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
Cape Town
February 04, 2009, 09:10:37 am
I've just been outsourced and there's a distinct possibility that i might be able to relocate to Cape Town. Does anyone has any opinions or experience of the place that might help me make an informed decision about moving. Most importantly, whats the chuffing and bloddering like nearby.

Kingy

• forum hero
#1 Re: Cape Town
February 04, 2009, 09:39:51 am
Wow! Sounds amazing opportunity. The Rocklands is just under 3 hours away so that is a major factor; I went last summer and was blown away by the place. There is local bouldering but not as good as Rocklands eg. at Silvermine. The routes are good; on Table Mountain there is a lot of trad plus some good sport climbing. The best sport is around Johannesburg, a day's drive further north. There is a good healthy climbing scene around Cape Town, you'll have no problem meeting awesome friendly people, good surfing culture year round too!

Steve R

• forum abuser
#2 Re: Cape Town
February 04, 2009, 11:29:44 pm
If I got offered a decent job in cape town, I wouldn't hesitate.  (But then I live in Hull at the moment....) Like Kingy says, Rocklands 3 hrs up the road - not bad for weekends.  Also Montague, quality extensive sport climbing about 90 mins east of CT.  Added to that, all the local stuff in and around cape town - few decent sport areas, quality trad on table mountain.  Sure there's decent local bouldering too but prob need a local to show you round to find the quality.

In my experience (2 and a bit years ago), good scene with plenty of friendly and strong climbers.  Never went but the climbing gym in observatory looked good and is in a cool part of town.  Nice weather, beaches, culture, attractive women everywhere.....

hmmm I might start looking for jobs there myslef.

Only downside has to be the crime aspect but I'm sure you get used/ more akin to it if you live there.  Oh and the snakes scared me - got a story of an aggressive cobra and almost stood on a puff adder which would have hurt.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#3 Re: Cape Town
February 04, 2009, 11:32:42 pm
Wow! Sounds amazing opportunity. The Rocklands is just under 3 hours away so that is a major factor; I went last summer and was blown away by the place. There is local bouldering but not as good as Rocklands eg. at Silvermine. The routes are good; on Table Mountain there is a lot of trad plus some good sport climbing. The best sport is around Johannesburg, a day's drive further north. There is a good healthy climbing scene around Cape Town, you'll have no problem meeting awesome friendly people, good surfing culture year round too!
That ^^^

Plus enough nu-route / boulder potential to last a lifetime.

Vibes ain't so good. But it's a spectacular location.

BenF

• forum hero
#4 Re: Cape Town
February 05, 2009, 12:18:47 pm
Not got much to add beyond what the others have said.  There's a strange vibe in the country at times, but an amazing environment, some very cool people, splendid wildlife and great (if spaced apart) climbing.  Rocklands is awesome and every day that I spent on Table Mountain was wonderful. 

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#5 Re: Cape Town
February 05, 2009, 12:46:11 pm
Cheers guys. I've registered my interest in relocating with the new company so i guess i just wait and see. There's up to £12k available for relocation which would be nice. A brief bit of research into property rental shows that the Atlantic seaboard is probably the place to go. 3 bedrooms and sea views for £500-£700 a month and i'll be paid in sterling!

The missus is a surfer, so she's got uber SYKE, but any more tit bits of information about the climbing scene or the experience in general would be appreciated.

philo

• forum hero
#6 Re: Cape Town
February 09, 2009, 12:46:16 am
theres alot of hijacking in capetown tho! so be careful

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#7 Re: Cape Town
February 09, 2009, 05:02:39 am
and i'll be paid in sterling!

an important fact - not sure I'd want to commit to living of earnings in Rand..

go for it - sounds like a top opportunity (Cape Towns about the only place in SA i'd consider living)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: Cape Town
February 16, 2009, 10:43:21 am
theres alot of hijacking in capetown tho! so be careful

By hijacking do you mean car-jacking? If so, there has never been a lot in Cape Town, and it is being even more controlled in the run up to the world cup. Need to have your wits about you though, esp out towards airport. If i ever went back, Cape Town would be the only place I would live as well. PM me if you want any info, i have a few mates living there.

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#9 Re: Cape Town
February 16, 2009, 11:12:55 am
Cheers Chris, I should know in a few months if its really on and not just a carrot they;re dangling to drum up enthusiasm!
God, I'm such a cynic, but i guess I wont be disappointed if I maintain a pessimistic outlook!  ;D

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#10 Re: Cape Town
February 16, 2009, 02:20:21 pm
All good. Atlantic Coast has some great places to live - Hout Bay, Kommetjie etc, gets good waves, but the sea is seriously cold for surfing. Much nicer Muizenburg side and warmer the further east you go. Have posted links on here for info on SA on here before.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal