UKBouldering.com

Post crag conditions, hot news, etc using SMS to ukBouldering's Twitter page (Read 65668 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Well it works, but the timings are a bit out - only seems to be updating about once an hour. Will work on getting it synced with twitterfeed so it updates every 1/2 hour.

I'll do a new sticky post when it's all working efficiently, but in the meantime the new conditions Twitter will be http://twitter.com/isitgreasy  (I quite like this name :) )

In order to submit a conditions report you need to tweet @ukbouldering (*not* @isitgreasy) with the characters "#ukbcon" in your tweet.

This tweet will then be fed over to @isitgreasy

So, you have to follow @ukbouldering (which will follow you back) in order to submit a report, but you would read @isitgreasy to view the conditions feed.

@isitgreasy will never follow anyone back, as that would defeat the object of the whole thing.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Two problems.

i) It takes about an hour for the updates to get through - not ideal and I'll need to do some coding to change this I think.

ii) Twitter also throws "mentions" into the "replies" feed. This means tweets will get endlessly re-submitted. Not sure how to solve this one - if anyone has any ideas then please let me know!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

I think problem ii) can be solved by using Cron to run a MySql task which deletes posts from the intermediary wordpress blog every hour. Timing would have to be just right though in order not to lose posts.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal