UKBouldering.com

Wind Erosion (Read 15438 times)

andy_e

• forum hero
#25 Re: Wind Erosion
February 27, 2009, 06:05:21 pm
Woo, palaeoblocs, that sounds like an interesting idea, "I did a palaeo8b yesterday"...

Most people are getting original deposition and subsequent exhumation and erosion confused.

Deposition occurred here in the carboniferous

and erosion occured here in the holocene
and we are here...

AndyR

• forum hero
#26 Re: Wind Erosion
February 27, 2009, 08:59:17 pm

Regarding weathering/frost/spalling action... its interesting... and this would seem logical for the features in your photo of the woolpacks.. but when you have weathering/frost etc.,. the sediment will drop to the floor and should form a pile at the base of the face. Even with weathering the sand grains should persist. To be undercut these grains need to be removed somehow - and I can only really see wind as doing this in many of the areas.
Well, I would guess the primary cause of mass removal from the base would be run-off related - infiltration into peat moors is quite poor, and combined with a high intensity short duration rainfall event would lead to plenty of energy for coarse sand removal -  if you look at the sandy base of most of the grit edges these days, you can see that the floors are sloping and becoming channelised.

AndyR

• forum hero
#27 Re: Wind Erosion
February 27, 2009, 09:05:09 pm
Landforms such as the Bridestone and the Turban and Brimham would have likely developed most readily in early postglacial times at the end of the last ice age after the glaciers had retreated but before the sandy substrate had been stabilised by vegetation and peat development.

So does that mean that the bridestones, more or less as we see them now, were revealed post glaciation and then had their bases modified by wind processes in the relatively short period of time after ice retreat and before revegetation (say <100 years or so)? Seems unlikely when most of the valley forms around there look decidedly river-controlled in their shape?

AndyR

• forum hero
#28 Re: Wind Erosion
February 27, 2009, 09:06:53 pm

Most people are getting original deposition and subsequent exhumation and erosion confused.

No - there was a question raised as to whether some of the grits were deposited in an aeolian environment.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#29 Re: Wind Erosion
February 27, 2009, 10:16:22 pm
We've now managed to pursade/suggest/pressgang a student to do his dissertation on this so, see what happens..

Good skills. Get somebody else to do the work and you get to tell them how they should be doing it better. Result!

Yossarian

• forum hero
#30 Re: Wind Erosion
February 28, 2009, 08:54:07 pm
Sounds like confusion with the deposition.

Is that a Notorious B.I.G album?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal