UKBouldering.com

best day ever? (Read 12934 times)

jonjon

• addict
#25 Re: best day ever?
February 24, 2009, 07:37:17 pm
sitting in the car driving back from the peak, or in the pizza restaurant at Font with your team around you, all having done a tick, you cant buy that contentment.

meatball

• menacing presence
    • Chuck Norris facts
#26 Re: best day ever?
February 24, 2009, 09:58:56 pm
After a few years, this still stands out. I had been trying Sleep Deprevation in The Pass. We got there early in the morning. Got warmed up and was feeling pretty good. Pulled on the problem and fell off the first move! Took myself for a stern word, came back and dispatched it. It felt Piss! But i guess it was the whole situation, being with cool people in an amazing place (in my mind an understated problem), topping out and looking up at Dinas Cromlech with clear blue skies behind it all made for my perfect climbing day  :)

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#27 Re: best day ever?
February 25, 2009, 08:38:50 am
I sometimes get what I have thus far called post climatic stress. This is when youdo something you really wanted to do and then spend the rest of the day struggling. Its true when they say that sucess breeds success though, and I seem to have gotten over it lately. 

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#28 Re: best day ever?
February 25, 2009, 09:01:51 am
If something's been stressing me out then when I get it done the release of pressure tends to render me weak.

I favour the tactic of getting something done, fannying about failing on stuff for a bit in an overexcited and innefective manner and then sacking it for celebratory drinks.

:beer2:

J.P

• regular
#29 Re: best day ever?
February 25, 2009, 04:42:16 pm
If something's been stressing me out then when I get it done the release of pressure tends to render me weak.

I favour the tactic of getting something done, fannying about failing on stuff for a bit in an overexcited and innefective manner and then sacking it for celebratory drinks.

:beer2:

Second that. I find it good to celebrate a bit to preserve that feeling of achievement. The worst thing I can do is hoping the flow will get me up another project that day, rarely happens to me.
But I do strive to actually top out on a problem at the end of every session even if itīs an easy one. Just to prolong that feeling of achieving something rather than fail.

Andy Harris

• obsessive maniac
#30 Re: best day ever?
February 25, 2009, 05:20:49 pm
Bizarrely one of my best days of the past 2 years was at the works at the start of last years indoor season. It's fair to say i wasn't particularly fit or strong but somehow managed to pull of the whole yellow circuit of 40 problems (7a-7c) in a  session. I just couldn't figure it, i was climbing on my own (normally i climb badly on my own as I'm  social fella) not in indoor shape and somehow managed to pull off for me a big feat of power & endurance. I've never come close to the full yellow circuit since even  after a few sessions. Everything just went perfectly falshing most things & just getting more and more psyched.

The other one of note was in Cresciano last year where I pulled off a few months of usual sends in 1 day. This time was on top form, psyched on holiday with great mates climbing well also, keen to tick some old nemeses. I guess if you can have 1 day like this you are capable of doing it more often but only if you can tap into the magic formula which from the replys so far will remain exactly that. Magic.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#31 Re: best day ever?
February 26, 2009, 08:16:49 am
Tyler must have an entire barrel of Magic Formula stashed somewhere. Or perhaps (like Obelix in the Asterix books) he fell into the Magic Formula cauldron as a baby? :)

http://www.moonclimbing.com/MOONBLOG/Operation%20Big%20Five-n-885.html

Ena

• addict
    • cadreweb
#32 Re: best day ever?
February 26, 2009, 08:56:33 am
Tyler's blog is fantasticly entertaining, I wish I had even a tenth of his enthusiasm. He does seem to be turning in Jerry though: "The famous words, one last go. Some people would say I was mad to have another go, but I knew I could unleash the fury." And a poem too! 

My Best Day Ever was in October 1991, when I went up to Curbar with some friends from Cambridge. I warmed up on a VS and then led Kayak, my mate failed to second it even though he could reach past the crux! My brother Martin then turned up with Sir Simon Nadin and we did some solos and bouldering, but it looked like rain so we decided to poke off to Stoney cafe, then Rubicon for more bouldering and waterside hacky, then back to the cafe for more bacon and tea. Quality. I think the twilight hacky was the best bit too, and I have no idea what problems we did.

While we were doing this my mates were still at Curbar failing on wet VSs and helping some poor sod who broke his leg on a VDiff. I don't think it was their "best day ever". 

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#33 Re: best day ever?
February 26, 2009, 09:05:58 am
Just touching on Tyler's poetry for a second - there used to be a bit of a poem of his in the Magic wood guestbook. AFAIK, the gasthaus has closed down now, so I may not be able to find it, but if I can I shall photograph it. Lets just say this one is a bit better.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#34 Re: best day ever?
February 26, 2009, 09:18:37 am
Better!?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#35 Re: best day ever?
February 26, 2009, 09:20:16 am
i think the best formula for this kinda of day is climbing with someone else at about the same level with the same goals, having good weather, having a bit of recent form helping you out, and going to a crag/s with plenty to do. try as I might I'm not going to have a day where I bag a dozen 7cs at burbage north.

Being a dad hasn't dulled his brain too much.

Pretty much that: Inspiration, plenty of route choice, a partner who is up for whatever the day has to offer. Weather and shizzle of course.

Paul B

• forum hero
#36 Re: best day ever?
February 26, 2009, 09:53:48 am
Bizarrely one of my best days of the past 2 years was at the works at the start of last years indoor season.
Maybe its because you were leaner than lean!

220bpm

• player
  • In my lungs, and sometimes up my nose...
    • My pictures
#37 Re: best day ever?
February 26, 2009, 04:29:17 pm
Theres a couple of stand out bouldering days for me:

1. The first day of a Font trip with two mates who had never been there before. We went to Potala and spent the entire day in perfect conditions rattling off problem after problem near our upper limit. The ever changing looks of joy, bewilderment, confusion and satisfaction on their faces was a delight. Not to mention the furious screams of delight and despair! They both immediately 'found' the psyche which the forest brings and we cranked away till darkness fell. Good vibes man  :)

2. In early November last year on a day made for bouldering. Piercing blue skies with a cool breeze. On my own at a new venue for 3hrs waiting for a mate and his wee kid to show up. I knocked out a few problems which were at my limit then proceeded to raise the bar with my first at a new grade. Thing was, I didn't know the Font grade of the harder problem until I got home, only then did I discover my treat  8). When my mate turned up we got the wee man playing on some slabs and cracks (natural jammer btw!) and he had a proper ball.

Happy days  :great:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal